Value of: Looking for defense, but just gauging...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I bet Arizona would be willing to retain 50% on local boy Shayne Gostisbehere to get their hands on a Tippett/Denisenko level asset. :)
I'm sure FLA would be willing to accept the 1st rd pick accompanying Ghost.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ghost at 50% is worth 2x 2nds I believe. Probably a ‘23+’24 2nd. Tippett is worth more than that, though. But you’re suggesting Gostisbehere is worth about zero. Which is not correct.
He's not worth zero, but but he's also not the D they could use. I think the need is for a steady "leans towards the defensive" LD to pair with Montour. Ghost's resurgence has been nice, but I think there are lots of other guys they'd turn to first, and if the cost was Tippet or Denisenko I don't think they'd be interested.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That's a perfectly cromulent deadline deal for a team that feels one offensive D is the difference.
First of all, most contending teams are not adding am all offensive d at the deadline. They are adding depth forwards secondary scoring uo front and shutdown guys. What contending team would consider barrie the missing piece? Toronto? No, Colorado? No. Pittsburgh? No .add Vegas Washington etc c etc....
Then we come to the cats who already have a better offensive D and boast a good overall D core as it is.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
He's not worth zero, but but he's also not the D they could use. I think the need is for a steady "leans towards the defensive" LD to pair with Montour. Ghost's resurgence has been nice, but I think there are lots of other guys they'd turn to first, and if the cost was Tippet or Denisenko I don't think they'd be interested.
Mayfield

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Rather just get a 3rd/4th for Hamonic.

I mean sure, but Florida doesn't have much cap space to take on Hamonic. If they accumulate enough at TDL then that sounds good, otherwise to sweeten the pot I hope Vatrano + Noel happens, then we can flip Vatrano for that 3rd or 4th and then keep a potential PF prospect in Noel.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Miller is available but we’re not trading him to you. We’re trying to not have the Florida pick be #31 or #32
No interest in Miller anyway. Again, the interest would be in a LD better than Carlson (easy to do at a low cost) or better than Forsling and move Forsling to 3rd LD.

Miller isn't an improvement on the top 3 RD so no reason to trade for him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'd be down for this idea.
Mayfield shoots right and doesn’t play his off side though. If Lou was to move him, the only real guy listed of interest would be Denisenko unless he’s lost in the defensive zone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Miller is available but we’re not trading him to you. We’re trying to not have the Florida pick be #31 or #32

It seems you over-estimate Miller's abilities if you think they wouldn't take a mid-round pick for him at the deadline in the hope of maybe, sorta, possibly be hedging over where the Panthers' first winds up. Take the pick, let the chips fall where they may (and it might be 31st or 32nd without Miller even being there).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We need a defensive minded/physical D. We already have Ekblad, Weegar, Forsling, and montour. Gudas is our only physical D. In the playoffs we’ll need more than just that. So I’d say no to ghost. It’s why I really want chiarot at the deadline. Mayfield would be a great pickup, why would the nyi consider moving him?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Another great fit for Soucy. People are going to be surprised what he nets the Kraken at the deadline…he can be a defensive version of the Goodrow/Coleman type acquisitions - experienced but just coming into his prime, physically intimidating, plays the brand of hockey teams want in the post-season and best of all he’s signed for another year past this one at a very modest price. That in itself gives him a lot of inherent value for contending teams searching for both an upgrade at a low cap cost and that has some future certainty.

I think some smart franchise is going to grab him instead of an older pure rental like Chiarot and find themselves with a nice piece for this year and next. When he gets dealt - it’s going to be one of those typical HF reactions where people are going to immediately be like “they gave up that high a pick or prospect for freaking Soucy, a guy I’ve barely heard of who plays on the third pairing, what are they thinking!?!!” only to realize later on it’s the kind of move shrewd teams make to put themselves over the top when it matters.

Cadash24

Dec 1, 2021
Patrick Nemeth for a 7th or a struggling prospect in need of a change - Nemeth is sometimes solid sometimes not, but the Rangers would like to remove him from roster to give Zac Jones a full time role Id imagine

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We need a defensive minded/physical D. We already have Ekblad, Weegar, Forsling, and montour. Gudas is our only physical D. In the playoffs we’ll need more than just that. So I’d say no to ghost. It’s why I really want chiarot at the deadline. Mayfield would be a great pickup, why would the nyi consider moving him?
Always considered Ekblad physical
but your point is otherwise well taken.

Rangers would like to promote Schneider.
IF we could get Trouba to waive early, FL is a fit.
Some $$$ would have to be juggled but he's a solid, physical D.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Defense is something everybody is looking for,and why even crappy ones still get contracts...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Always considered Ekblad physical
but your point is otherwise well taken.

Rangers would like to promote Schneider.
IF we could get Trouba to waive early, FL is a fit.
Some $$$ would have to be juggled but he's a solid, physical D.
Ekblad is big and very sound and smart defensively, he’s a two-way D really, but i wouldn’t say he’s physical. He could if he really wanted to, he has the size and strength for it, but that’s just not the way he plays

Reactions: bernmeister

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
its clear, Ben Chariot will bring a 1st, (20-30)the question NOW is, will SOMEONE offer even more to win this Chariot bidding war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad