OT: Looking for best way my dad can watch all leafs games without cable

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
So my father with dementia would like to be able to watch all leafs games. He technically has cable, but it's a nightmare from a distance to try to explain over the phone each night how to switch from the ROKU back to cable and then have him navigate through cable with a different remote. I know I know...so easy...but trust me if you know, then you know (these challenges).

I'd like to sign him up for a streaming service that he can navigate from the ROKU app page that will give him access to Sportsnet and TSN games. Ideally I wouldn't have to sign him up for both Sportsnet and TSN, but if I have to, I will. Is there a service that provides both games?

Money isn't really an issue here. Don't worry about online non-pay streaming, my dad would not be able to figure that out in a million years not to mention he only uses a TV.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So my father with dementia would like to be able to watch all leafs games. He technically has cable, but it's a nightmare from a distance to try to explain over the phone each night how to switch from the ROKU back to cable and then have him navigate through cable with a different remote. I know I know...so easy...but trust me if you know, then you know (these challenges).

I'd like to sign him up for a streaming service that he can navigate from the ROKU app page that will give him access to Sportsnet and TSN games. Ideally I wouldn't have to sign him up for both Sportsnet and TSN, but if I have to, I will. Is there a service that provides both games?

Money isn't really an issue here. Don't worry about online non-pay streaming, my dad would not be able to figure that out in a million years not to mention he only uses a TV.

Since money is not an issue and he has cable, just get another tv and have it set on sports net and TSN. So if the game isn’t on one channel it will be on the other

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Does he live in or outside the Leafs region? Sounds like in?

If so, there is no legal option other than to have access to both TSN and Sportsnet. Even streaming there will be two apps he has to access (TSN+ and SN+).

If he lived outside the Leafs Region, you could subscribe to SN+ Premium and all your games would be there (other than the 6 Leafs games on Prime Video; those are ONLY on Prime Video).

I don't feel I was overly helpful lol.

Reactions: Stringer Bell

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
If he has cable that provides TSN and SN, he can sign in to the apps with his TV provider information. I watch them streaming all the time through MyRogers login info. I do it on a computer or on my phone and then cast to a TV usually, but it should work for signing in on Roku too. As long as its in the region.

edit: As I type that up, googling it, apparently SN doesn't have a Roku app. Unbelievable.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
If he subscribes to Rogers or Bell and has a sports package, he should have a login that allows him to stream TSN and/or Sportsnet without signing up to anything else.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Does he live in or outside the Leafs region? Sounds like in?

If so, there is no legal option other than to have access to both TSN and Sportsnet. Even streaming there will be two apps he has to access (TSN+ and SN+).

If he lived outside the Leafs Region, you could subscribe to SN+ Premium and all your games would be there (other than the 6 Leafs games on Prime Video; those are ONLY on Prime Video).

I don't feel I was overly helpful lol.
No, you were...thank you!

If he subscribes to Rogers or Bell and has a sports package, he should have a login that allows him to stream TSN and/or Sportsnet without signing up to anything else.

He's in a retirement home so he only has basic cable that he pays for through the home, not his own cable box or anything. I suppose that's something we could look into.

Thanks for your help everyone!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Since money is not an issue and he has cable, just get another tv and have it set on sports net and TSN. So if the game isn’t on one channel it will be on the other

Need to know if he is in the Leafs region.
We have Sportsnet+, as the only way to get all the Leafs games out west, otherwise games are frequently blackout on TSN/Sportsnet.

NHL Center Ice used to be easy to get all the games.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Need to know if he is in the Leafs region.
We have Sportsnet+, as the only way to get all the Leafs games out west, otherwise games are frequently blackout on TSN/Sportsnet.

NHL Center Ice used to be easy to get all the games.
He’s in leafs region right in Toronto!

Reactions: ULF_55

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I have a traditional Rogers Ignite package.

My brother logs into the Ignite TV using my credentials, and watches all the Leaf games through the Rogers Ignite TV ap.

You could buy Rogers Ignite, and setup the Ignite TV on any smart TV where he is located.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I have a traditional Rogers Ignite package.

My brother logs into the Ignite TV using my credentials, and watches all the Leaf games through the Rogers Ignite TV ap.

You could buy Rogers Ignite, and setup the Ignite TV on any smart TV where he is located.

I do this as well using my girlfriend's account.

I also have the sportsnet+ app and it works pretty good. Still miss some games that are blacked out (up yours Bettman). But between tapping into my gf's rogers and using my sportsnet+ app I see an awful lot of hockey games.

It's pretty easy to set them up and access them remotely too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sorry to hear about your Dad’s dementia. My mother has it too, she can’t operate the remote at all, though she’s tried to phone people on it, and has asked why the phone is broken.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Hey man, firstly I wish your father well.

Secondly, the best way is through streaming the high seas (if you get what I mean) or getting one of those ITV subscriptions through an Apple TV box. At least that is how I consume my sports (EPL, UFC, and now NHL games).

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

You can look into IPTV. Not always reliable need good internet speeds (100mg +). But services out there that are 150 dollars for the year. Has all your cable channels, movies, TV shows. You can set up a favourites list for just the channels he uses.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
so I was just playing around with the Ignite TV, as I don't use the mobile often.

You can set favourite channels, ie, TSN and SN.

and it appears it shows you the last channel(s) watched, making it really easy to watch the same few channels.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Hope your dad is doing okay. I know exactly what you're going through and feel your pain my friend, my whole life I had to set up and manage my parents TV, Cable, VCR, DVD, etc. then they retired and moved 2 hours away.

I'd get a call at least once a week and spend at least a half hour on the phone because my father would somehow press the wrong buttons on one of the remotes and wouldn't be able to navigate back to the cable source or get the TV picture to work. My dad was a sports fanatic so having no TV drove him crazy

You're good guy for looking after your father, my grandmother was in a home with dementia and some people there rarely had visitors if any at all.

Like others I'd suggest IPTV, but it could more trouble than it's worth for someone like our fathers, there's tons of options and channels to deal with. Maybe try a firestick and use the Sportsnet and TSN Apps might be easier.

Good luck, hope you find a solution.

fillkessel

Nov 17, 2010
If you can find someone who does the IPTV it’s definitely the way to go. In most cases it’s just an app on your fire stick. Anywhere from $100-200 a year you get every channel in existence. PPVs and all. But, it requires “knowing a guy” lol

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Hope your dad is doing okay. I know exactly what you're going through and feel your pain my friend, my whole life I had to set up and manage my parents TV, Cable, VCR, DVD, etc. then they retired and moved 2 hours away.

I'd get a call at least once a week and spend at least a half hour on the phone because my father would somehow press the wrong buttons on one of the remotes and wouldn't be able to navigate back to the cable source or get the TV picture to work. My dad was a sports fanatic so having no TV drove him crazy

You're good guy for looking after your father, my grandmother was in a home with dementia and some people there rarely had visitors if any at all.

Like others I'd suggest IPTV, but it could more trouble than it's worth for someone like our fathers, there's tons of options and channels to deal with. Maybe try a firestick and use the Sportsnet and TSN Apps might be easier.

Good luck, hope you find a solution.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Means a lot. Your post really resonated.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Firstly all the best to your dad. Great to see you trying to sort things like this out for him.

The hardware solutions sounds complicated. You might have better odds with a soft solution. Ie getting friendly with the staff if he is at a retirement home and asking them to make sure the game gets put on.

Secondly this thread has highlighted how hard the NHL makes it for people to watch their favorite team in Toronto/canada/ North America.

I live in Dubai. Pay 99usd for the year and get every single nhl game on NHL.tv. It’s easier for expats living in random countries globally than fans living in region. Wild stuff.

Reactions: OddyOh

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Don't worry about online non-pay streaming, my dad would not be able to figure that out in a million years not to mention he only uses a TV.
Would he (or someone else there) be able to manage the following??

-buy him a cheap laptop and keep it plugged in and opened up
-remove all the desktop icons except for the internet browser and rename the shortcut for it "Hockey"
-set the browser homepage for the free streaming url where he selects the game to watch
-ask around if anyone (ie. a nurse?) can help getting the game on during game nights

Best of luck and kudos for trying to help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad