Management Looking Back At Don Sweeney's Draft History

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
2021 Lysell over Wyatt Johnston, but in fairness Lysell was ranked higher.

Also in fairness Wyatt Johnston didn't play that season with the OHL shut-down. I think he played in one showcase but that was the extent of his viewings going into the 2021 draft. No question if the OHL plays that year Johnston is long gone before Boston or Dallas's pick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
2015 was a long time ago and I don't trust my memory.

But I think Sweeney & Co. took the stage and made all 3 picks without returning to their draft table. If that's what they did, it's an egregious error in judgement and horribly arrogant. After drafting Zboril & DeBrusk, and planning on taking Shysensysnyn, I would think the phones would have been ringing to make a deal. Possibly an offer they couldn't refuse.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Sitting at a kitchen table in Calgary around lunch time reading about Dougie Hamilton about to be traded to Calgary. My first thought was maybe they got Sam Bennett and Calgary's 1st rounder. I remember being disappointed learning it was just for picks. (Which I still say for a team not about to rebuild, not getting at least one NHL caliber player in return for Hamilton was an epic fail by Sweeney).

Then a little while later at that same kitchen table being very saddened but for some reason, not really surprised, they dealt Lucic. I never, ever, would of traded Lucic if I didn't have to, but felt they did get a solid return on the player.

Later that day sitting in the corner of a sectional couch in the home's living room the Bruins are about to make the 13th pick. Excited that Barzal was on the board and felt there was zero chance they don't use one of the 3 picks on him. I knew Kyle Connor was there too but my thoughts were on Barzal.

Bruins select Zboril. I hated his name even leading up to the draft. He was ranked in that next tier of blueliners and I had already assumed they were taking at least one blueliner. No way a guy named Jakub Zboril was ever going to be a star in the NHL. I didn't like the pick and I had never seen the player. When I first saw him at a future WJC I was disgusted by his lack of hockey sense. All-world athleticism but bone-head play after bone-head play.

Then they take Debrusk. Disappointed again they didn't take Barzal but Debrusk was in the ball-park and had no real feelings about him one way or the other.

And then the 15th pick. Here it comes, the Bruins certainly are taking Barzal now, how could they pass him up with 3 consecutive picks?

And they say the name Zach Senyshyn. My heart sunk. My first thought was who the &^%$* is Zach Senyshyn. I had to go look him up and quickly my heart sank further to learn he was ranked by many in the 2nd round and had spent a lot of the previous year on the 4th line (of an albeit loaded team). And to hear now that teams called the Bruins when Barzal was there at 15 to try and get the pick is just more maddening for what is and will forever be a massive blunder of epic proportions.

That day will forever be etched into my brain which is a miracle considering the number of cans of Brewhouse beer I consumed afterwards.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
After re-watching the Behind The B video and the live draft coverage, it sounded like some team offered the Bruins 3 picks for the 15th overall. They bleeped out the name of the team, though. Their phone probably was ringing off the hook because teams were probably stunned at the stupidity of Sweeney and the scouts. A few years ago, a WPG fan posted a clip of Kevin Cheveldayoff caught on camera laughing at the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks because he knew that Kyle Connor was going to fall to him. They were originally going to take Brock Boeser.
I can imagine how much Cheveldayoff laughed reading the posts on hfboards defending the 2015 Bruins draft.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Also in fairness Wyatt Johnston didn't play that season with the OHL shut-down. I think he played in one showcase but that was the extent of his viewings going into the 2021 draft. No question if the OHL plays that year Johnston is long gone before Boston or Dallas's pick.
Agree and I give credit where it is due, Dallas does a real good job at drafting , sure they must have had some ones that did not work out, but overall they are one of the better teams at it. Hindsight and all, but Johnston would have been a great fit at the right time for us at center. Hopefully if we can get a good 1st for Ullmark, the b's can draft a solid center.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

For context with the anger part. Funny but alot of people who ripped me for questioning the Pelosi pick are killing this one.

Reactions: DominicT

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for this. Nice fun reads.

My only nit-pick would be Lauzon's had a pretty nice career so far though. Got snagged in the expansion draft. Looking back, maybe you keep him over Gryz?

He led the league in hits and we all love hits. We miss them!

I'd have made him sound like Lindgren in the 2016 read; who would also be nice to still have around.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
It’s nice to hear that the staff’s performance seems to be trending up, but wonder how much of that feeling is actually just the general optimism we all have for recent draft picks where so much is unknown.

Babajingo

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Sitting at a kitchen table in Calgary around lunch time reading about Dougie Hamilton about to be traded to Calgary. My first thought was maybe they got Sam Bennett and Calgary's 1st rounder. I remember being disappointed learning it was just for picks. (Which I still say for a team not about to rebuild, not getting at least one NHL caliber player in return for Hamilton was an epic fail by Sweeney).

Then a little while later at that same kitchen table being very saddened but for some reason, not really surprised, they dealt Lucic. I never, ever, would of traded Lucic if I didn't have to, but felt they did get a solid return on the player.

Later that day sitting in the corner of a sectional couch in the home's living room the Bruins are about to make the 13th pick. Excited that Barzal was on the board and felt there was zero chance they don't use one of the 3 picks on him. I knew Kyle Connor was there too but my thoughts were on Barzal.

Bruins select Zboril. I hated his name even leading up to the draft. He was ranked in that next tier of blueliners and I had already assumed they were taking at least one blueliner. No way a guy named Jakub Zboril was ever going to be a star in the NHL. I didn't like the pick and I had never seen the player. When I first saw him at a future WJC I was disgusted by his lack of hockey sense. All-world athleticism but bone-head play after bone-head play.

Then they take Debrusk. Disappointed again they didn't take Barzal but Debrusk was in the ball-park and had no real feelings about him one way or the other.

And then the 15th pick. Here it comes, the Bruins certainly are taking Barzal now, how could they pass him up with 3 consecutive picks?

And they say the name Zach Senyshyn. My heart sunk. My first thought was who the &^%$* is Zach Senyshyn. I had to go look him up and quickly my heart sank further to learn he was ranked by many in the 2nd round and had spent a lot of the previous year on the 4th line (of an albeit loaded team). And to hear now that teams called the Bruins when Barzal was there at 15 to try and get the pick is just more maddening for what is and will forever be a massive blunder of epic proportions.

That day will forever be etched into my brain which is a miracle considering the number of cans of Brewhouse beer I consumed afterwards.
I still am bugged as to why he didn't trade down with that third pick.
I don't get people that say that draft was a long time ago, get over it. Those players in that class are in their prime now. thats why it still matters.
1718889984152.png

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Something else that occurred to me re: Sweeney (and since it is a Sweeney thread, though not THE thread . . .), with the almost certain departure of Forbort and Grizz this summer, Sweeney has no poor value contracts on the roster. Of course there are arguments to be made (and there will be because HF) but the objectively bad contracts in either term or dollars vs performance or role are gone. Change my mind.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Something else that occurred to me re: Sweeney (and since it is a Sweeney thread, though not THE thread . . .), with the almost certain departure of Forbort and Grizz this summer, Sweeney has no poor value contracts on the roster. Of course there are arguments to be made (and there will be because HF) but the objectively bad contracts in either term or dollars vs performance or role are gone. Change my mind.

While the situation has improved, he still has this coming year to finish paying off Reilly contract. $1.3 M

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
While the situation has improved, he still has this coming year to finish paying off Reilly contract. $1.3 M

True, the buyout, but as far as the roster goes, for now, we are good for the first time in a long while. If we count Reilly in there since it was a bad contract, I suppose $1.3m in bad deals is pretty palatable. Let's hope he keeps the trend going the right way and doesn't use his newfound cap freedom to do another Backes/Foligno/Beleskey/Hayes etc. etc.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
True, the buyout, but as far as the roster goes, for now, we are good for the first time in a long while. If we count Reilly in there since it was a bad contract, I suppose $1.3m in bad deals is pretty palatable. Let's hope he keeps the trend going the right way and doesn't use his newfound cap freedom to do another Backes/Foligno/Beleskey/Hayes etc. etc.

Agreed. 👍🏻

Reactions: Dr Hook

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Like a dog with a mouldy bone Bruins fans keep coming back to the 2015 draft. And it happens, even though we know it's not healthy to do so, because we all know what a blown opportunity it was. There are no guarantees in hockey, but get at least 2 of those 3 picks right and Boston's as close to a lock as you can be on getting at least 1 Cup in the following few years. As it was they only made 1 astute pick, and even then the 1 is a good player rather than great, and that just wasn't enough.

Which isn't to say that's the sole reason for subsequently falling short or to argue that they were doomed as a result. The 2019 team obviously came within a game and the 2020 and 2023 teams were also good enough to go all the way with a little better luck and execution at the right times. But it's pretty easy to see how an injection of the type of young talent that was on the board in 2015 but was passed by could have made the vital difference. It also hurt in other ways down the line because gaps that could have been filled in-house by emerging prospects instead had to be dealt with by overpaying for FAs or giving away future high picks in trades.

Every draft is a lottery, every GM has hits and misses, every year has stories of players who were overlooked by every other team only to emerge as stars with the franchise that took a punt on them. Some teams have done better than the Bruins in recent draft history, even once you give due consideration to Boston's relative paucity of high picks, but many have probably done worse. 2015 just hurts because the potential was so high and the consequences of screwing up were so severe.

But that's the way it goes. It's probably about now that the majority of any lingering consequences from that draft are fading away and it's firmly history. Can the fanbase also move on? Not counting on it!
I'm hoping that there is a 10 year statute of limitations

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
It's not too shabby at all, and it's of huge import this off-season to not repeat history.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I definitely think Sweeney has improved as he's gone along, and become increasingly less prone to mistakes. Still wish he'd prioritize overall team toughness and pure scoring talent a little more, but on the whole he's very solid now and a better GM than he was 9 years ago. Which is what you'd hope would happen, but it doesn't always pan out that way. The proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think what we are seeing is a revamped scouting department that is doing well. It's just not quantity, but quality people in the positions. But most importantly, everyone has an equal voice. Gone are the days of one or two scouts pounding the table and getting their way every year.

Coming up next... despite having only three picks in the upcoming draft, I will do my Bruins draft preview.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
there could have been a core of Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Kaprizov
instead of DeBrusk, bust, bust, wasted pick

Now go back and look at the Bruins capspace over the years and fit in the above mentioned guys’ past and/or current cap hits……
Most of these guys would have either been dealt or inhibited us in getting/keeping our current guys.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Now go back and look at the Bruins capspace over the years and fit in the above mentioned guys’ past and/or current cap hits……
Most of these guys would have either been dealt or inhibited us in getting/keeping our current guys.
If they were dealt the Bruins would be on the receiving end of 1st round picks.
Instead, the Bruins were the ones giving up 4x1st and 3x2nd round picks for Beleskey, Backes, Moore and Smith cap dumps in a multi-asset deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00