Looking at next seasons Goaltending

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Im not sure reading Phila Inquirer that they know what the Flyers are gonna do. And perhaps I don't either but here's a stab at a solution. Let Emery go.I know he has been a warrior and all but his hips are just not holding up.Once Mason is healthy presumably by seasons start he's obviously #1. I would make Zepp #2 and give Stolarz some looks in case Zepp doesnt seem ready or if that time comes and Stolarz is not ready sign a back up

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Even if they give Zepp a shot as backup they will still probably sign someone who can split AHL duties with Stolarz/backup when zepp or mason are injured

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Stolarz should take over the job fully next year in Lehigh Valley. Oullette could be a guy to bring back to back him up. Stolarz could get some injury callups next year if he plays well but he'll primarily be the starting goalie in Lehigh Valley for the full year. The following year (2016-2017) will be Mason's final year in his contract so hopefully Stolarz can be the backup then but that's the best case scenario for Stolarz right now.

I would take Zepp over Emery but that's not saying much. I would bring back Zepp to be the backup as a last resort for next year.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I hope we go for someone better than Zepp behind Mase, although I wouldn't be surprised or overly disappointed. I don't see how our defence gets much better by next year and this team sheds points without Mase in the crease.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no problem with giving Zepp a go on a 1 year deal. I expect the team defense and the personel on defense to better next season and support the goaltending more. Zepp has made the saves he should make aside from that seeing eye shot, and a lot of saves he shouldnt make.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I have no problem with giving Zepp a go on a 1 year deal. I expect the team defense and the personel on defense to better next season and support the goaltending more. Zepp has made the saves he should make aside from that seeing eye shot, and a lot of saves he shouldnt make.
...and a lot of juicy rebounds.

I find it hard to believe Hextall would sign him to be the primary backup without seeing him perform in the NHL for an extended period.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Penguins let Greiss walk, he should be the guy. Zepp is a fine 3rd goalie.

RJ8812*

I don't know why people are sold on Zepp. Hes looked ok. I would much prefer a more seasoned nhl back up while Zepp and Stolarz split time in the A next year. Stolarz is still at least another 2 years away. There's no need to rush him

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I would look at one of the upcoming FA goalies to backup Mason. There's a few decent back-ups going to FA.
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/11/25/2015-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-goaltenders/

just checked out the list and i see lots of goalies i would take over emery/zepp but how much money would flyers shell out and/or cap space do we have? iknow they would go at least 1 mill but how high would they go?

god id take dubnyk at 800k over emery/zepp anyday of the week! id take cam talbot over both too!

cant think of any goalies stock dropping faster than lindbacks... would take him over emery/zepp just because of how good ive seen him play previously and his insane size, he had a great goalie coach in nashville in mitch korn who had him playing really well. its gotta be a huge confidence issue right now. if he could get his **** back together he would be a massive steal.

Anthems

Aug 23, 2011
Vancouver
Zepp has played like, what, 5 games? Behind one of the worst defense in the entire league? You're all judging him as if he's been in the league for a couple years already. Give Zepp a chance to get settled in a bit here. He's been thrown into a pretty bad situation on this team.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Zepp on 1 year 600 K. No need to blow 1 mill plus on the back up, especially a horrible one like Emery

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Dubnyk reminds me of Mason a bit.

Pedigree, consistency issues, and was put on a dumpster fire team.

I'd like him as our back up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's another guy too. I wanted him last year too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Zepp has played like, what, 5 games? Behind one of the worst defense in the entire league? You're all judging him as if he's been in the league for a couple years already. Give Zepp a chance to get settled in a bit here. He's been thrown into a pretty bad situation on this team.

He's 33 & spent the majority of his career in Europe. How much leeway are we supposed to give the guy?

RJ8812*

there's a reason why he's a 33 year old NHL rookie who spent the majority of his career in Europe

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think you can dismiss Zepp on that basis. He still needs to be evaluated properly.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I wouldn't mind Greiss, Lindback, or Budaj as a backup. Zepp is a good 3rd goalie. Maybe let Stolarz get more starts over him next season in the Ahl. Or let Zepp walk and roll with Stolarz and Ouellette for the Phantoms. I like what I've seen from Ouellette.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Wouldn't mind bringing in someone to compete with Zepp for the back up job. If you can get someone like Griess, obviously the position is his to lose, but someone like Dubnyk or Lindback might rebound with some competition for the job.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't think Dubnyk will be an option. Minny will probably bring him back as a starter or at least have split the crease with someone else in my opinion.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Getting sick of the whole "Zepp played in Europe" angle.

Why do fans and writers keep bringing this up? We know.

If he's a cheap option for backup next year I would do it. Spend other money elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad