Speculation: Looking ahead to next season's goalie market

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Seriously though what do you think happens to Rannta? I think he is a good goalie and at 1 million that would be hard for me to pass up if I were Vegas

I could definitely see them taking raanta from us. Not sure whats gonna happen with us and expansion yet. But there will be some very good goalies available this offseason

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could definitely see them taking raanta from us. Not sure whats gonna happen with us and expansion yet. But there will be some very good goalies available this offseason

Yes there will that's why this thread exists because I think you might see some guys that would normally be starters have to take backup roles

Like Halak

Maybe Steve Mason

Craig Anderson if Ottawa doesn't want him, couple others.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Detroit likely trades Howard with salary retained. I'm sure a team would take him at $3 million per for two more years. Especially if they have a younger goalie that needs a veteran backup to push them. That's assuming Howard has an injury-free year and plays well for 30+ games, of course.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Detroit likely trades Howard with salary retained. I'm sure a team would take him at $3 million per for two years. Especially if they have a younger goalie that needs a veteran backup to push them. That's assuming Howard has an injury-free year and plays well for 30+ games.

The problem is only 1 goalie can be protected on each team so wherever he goes that team has a decision to make.

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
Yes there will that's why this thread exists because I think you might see some guys that would normally be starters have to take backup roles

Like Halsk

Maybe Steve Mason

Craig Anderson if Ottawa doesn't want him couple others.

despite his age, I don't see Andy being moved or exposed to expansion this year at all.

GMs are definitely walking a tight-rope when it comes to decisions with goalies this year tho... somebody in need is going to find a legit starter for a decent price this year

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
despite his age, I don't see Andy being moved or exposed to expansion this year at all.

GMs are definitely walking a tight-rope when it comes to decisions with goalies this year tho... somebody in need is going to find a legit starter for a decent price this year

If they miss the playoffs which I think is likely he might be

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Quick thoughts, players

Starters

Starters
Bishop-Dallas-They need a goalie BAD they're attractive to free agents who have their pick of the liter.

Nurvirth I'm going out on a limb here and saying he has another good year. In which case why would Philly not resign him and make him the starter

Varlamov-He's the man in Colorado and without him Coloarado would have a huge hole, so why won't he resign.

Second Tier starters

Brian Elliott-Calgary-underrated, home town connection. He resigns with Calgary and gets to be the man for a few more years.
MAF-Vancouver (I'm assuming Markstrom doesn't work out)
Tomas Greiss-Islanders, he's already eclipsed Halak on the Island. I think he'll be the man in 2017.

1Bs
Steve Mason-No idea
Jaro Halak-Detroit is going to need a good 1B to go with Mrazek. Halak provides an upgrade over Howard

20 game backups
Niemi-NYI, to backup Greiss
Ryan Miller-Southern California, Vancouver, Detroit Buffalo or retirement
Jimmy Howard-I don't know. Dallas needs a backup.
Kari-Again I don't know, Tampa maybe?

Greiss is UFA at seasons end

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Halak is signed for 2 years and Vegas shouldn't draft him. He's in Snow's doghouse and Snow won't forget. Staple reported after last season that Halak won't play for Isles again and it wouldn't surprise me if that really happen. Halak is also only backup quality, no reason to pay his salary even if Isles retain 50%.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Halak is signed for 2 years and Vegas shouldn't draft him. He's in Snow's doghouse and Snow won't forget. Staple reported after last season that Halak won't play for Isles again and it wouldn't surprise me if that really happen. Halak is also only backup quality, no reason to pay his salary even if Isles retain 50%.

By the time the expansion draft rolls around he will be entering his last year.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it's going to be interesting to see where all these goalies end up. Methinks Vegas will get a good #1 goalie.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Halak isn't a free agent next year.

He's not backup quality, he's still a starter. People were so hard on him last year.

As long as Greiss is still on the team next year, I don't care if the other goalie is Halak or Berube, but that's because I think highly of Berube.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I wonder if they go after Bishop

Goalies shouldn't be a problem for Vegas at all, so why pay much money for Bishop. Vegas need Top 6 forwards and will get some UFA, that's where the money should go to be competitive.

Vegas might draft RFA goalies who have future, this will be so interesting, then sign maybe Mason or Neuvirth.

Also Bernier is missing on this list. He will have a great year because he's in a contract year and will be prepared.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Quick thoughts, players

Starters

Starters
Bishop-Dallas-They need a goalie BAD they're attractive to free agents who have their pick of the liter.

Nurvirth I'm going out on a limb here and saying he has another good year. In which case why would Philly not resign him and make him the starter

Varlamov-He's the man in Colorado and without him Coloarado would have a huge hole, so why won't he resign.

Second Tier starters

Brian Elliott-Calgary-underrated, home town connection. He resigns with Calgary and gets to be the man for a few more years.
MAF-Vancouver (I'm assuming Markstrom doesn't work out)
Tomas Greiss-Islanders, he's already eclipsed Halak on the Island. I think he'll be the man in 2017.

1Bs
Steve Mason-No idea
Jaro Halak-Detroit is going to need a good 1B to go with Mrazek. Halak provides an upgrade over Howard

20 game backups
Niemi-NYI, to backup Greiss
Ryan Miller-Southern California, Vancouver, Detroit Buffalo or retirement
Jimmy Howard-I don't know. Dallas needs a backup.
Kari-Again I don't know, Tampa maybe?

How the hell is Fleury a 2nd tier starter and Mason a 1B goalie? That's just hilariously wrong :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Doubt that Vegas will claim Howard, So most likely he will be bought out next summer. Detroit will probably go with both Mrazek and Coreau going into Little Caesars Arena next year. Or at least that's the thinking any ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad