Looking ahead - Future contracts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Barring a major trade for a star player that would have a large cap hit, what are your projections for current/prospect contracts and cap implications?

I know it's super early, and assuming those players reach their potential. What might a new Ed contract look like, if he pans out? Can they afford two D-men with 8+ a year cap hits? Danielson as a 2C? One of the young goaltenders breaking out early?

I keep thinking the Wings need to be way ahead of the cap game, compared to the rest of the division to get to contender status.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, this will become thing very soon.

But we are not really having prospects with full seasons yet, so those projections are really hard to do.

I could say Edvinsson will never be as valuable as Seider, because Seider will take the bigger power-play role at first. Sandin Pellikka overtakes also Edvinsson, could even overlap Seider on later years, and at some point Pellikka will become "overpaid" thanks to his high production.

Seider 8.55M (Norris role)
Edvinsson 6.0M mostly defensive role
Pellikka 6.0 all-offensive role

Forwards are almost impossible to predict, because those ELCs aren't even near the end.

Berggren will get some bridge after next year, very sceptical to see anything long-term for him.

Maybe Mazur as some of grinder starting from lower lines will always be cost-effective.

Also Cossa will be 100% sure bridge, you just never know with goalies. Short-term contracts through the career should be the way for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Edvinsson has two years to prove himself. If he demonstrates the abilities that are expected of him, he could be pushing 8x8 with a higher cap.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If Ed pans out Steve is gonna do everything he can to get Ed long term under the Larkin number. He's got two years to round into form and there's guys like Faber and Sanderson who signed a big deal with only one season of promising play. I'm pretty confident he's gonna get there too, he's simply too well rounded in too many areas of the game already to not be at least Mo's level. That will give us a great infrastructure to build around on the Cap, with our two best D and two best forwards signed to under 9mil a year long term.

Berggren is probably aiming to get another bridge this off season because he's arbitration eligible. What that number looks like is going to be dependent on his play this year, so he's the guy to watch closely.

For everyone else, it's quite simply too soon. We gotta see Danielson, Mazur, Kasper, etc actually make the league before we can say anything.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Any speculation on contracts for these D men in particular are complete shots in the dark. It's entirely possible that Mr. Sandy Pelikan doesn't even make the show. Obviously I don't think that's the case... but it's also not unheard of for heralded prospects to stall Let's let guys make the show before we allot 6-7M to them, please.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Looking long term it’s better to talk about percentage of cap versus actual dollars. As the cap rises 6 mil likely will be what 4.5 mil is today when Edvinsson is looking for a new deal.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still like they get top line defansman via trade. Chiarot and Petry third pair
We have too many promising mid six players, Kasper, Danielson, Berggren, MBN, and also Buium and Wallinder as trade bates . Get me Sergachev or Warensky tipe of player

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Any speculation on contracts for these D men in particular are complete shots in the dark. It's entirely possible that Mr. Sandy Pelikan doesn't even make the show. Obviously I don't think that's the case... but it's also not unheard of for heralded prospects to stall Let's let guys make the show before we allot 6-7M to them, please.

That's something I've given more thought than I'd like lately.

There's not a great track record for defenders from the 1st round out of Sweden the last 10 years.

Adam Boqvist
Tim Llilegren
Erik Brannstrom
Rasmus Dahlin
Rasmus Sandin
Jacob Larsson
Victor Soderstrom
Tobias Bjornfot
Philip Broberg
Nils Lundqvist
Simon Edvinsson
Tom Willander
ASP

Of this group there's Dahlin and then a bunch of guys that are bottom pair defensemen in the NHL or outright busts. I have high hopes for Simon Edvinsson, and think Tom Willander has all the tools to be an impact player. The rest of this list is very uninspiring. I hope ASP can beat the odds.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not to be that guy to shit on the discussion... But we are way too early in Edvinsson and Danielson's careers to know what they're going to turn out as, to guess at contract values.

It's way more likely for Edvinsson to be a top pairing D (Or at least split minutes with Seider on separate pairings) than this is for Danielson to usurp Larkin as the #1C, so Edvinsson has a better chance of getting a big contract after his ELC.

Realistically, Larkin/Seider/Raymond are locked into good contracts with cap inflation coming to the degree that Detroit shouldn't have any issue keeping any of these guys, whether it's a long term deal or a bridge contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad