Pre-Game Talk: Look ahead to our next los- errrr game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's what depth players are. They're your lower line NHLers and call ups. You had no problem thinking Smithson was a depth player when you thought you had an argument for him, but now we can't consider him since I showed you how bad he's been on the PK?

You mentioned Smithson, Fraser and Orr by name saying they aren't the reason we're losing. There's a strong argument to be made that those players, especially Fraser and Smithson are hurting us.

So you believe "you're only as strong as your weakest link" and Leafs losing is directly related to those depth players more than others.

Do you also support the belief that "your star players need to be your star players" in order for a team to be successful consistently?

There not mutually exclusive either so which has a higher priority to team success your depth players < 10 minute role players on small contracts or your key players > 20 on big cap contracts?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So you believe "you're only as strong as your weakest link" and Leafs losing is directly related to those depth players more than others.

Do you also support the belief that "your star players need to be your star players" in order for a team to be successful consistently?

There not mutually exclusive either so which has a higher priority to team success your depth players < 10 minute role players on small contracts or your key players > 20 on big cap contracts?
Look at this dance, all your spinning is making me nauseous.

What is more important will depend on how certain players are playing. Some games the play of Fraser, Smithson and other fringe players have been the main issue. Other times it was Kadri, Kessel, etc..

Over the last week I'd say our bottom end hurt us more than our top players with Fraser, Smithson and some others really struggling.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
And maybe actually SCORE SOME ****ING GOALS, god has our offense ever dried up since the beginning of November, and pretty much for the reasons you listed: No speed, terrible passing, and our effort level has completely went down the toilet. Kessel, JVR and Kadri are all due for a hotstreak, any ****ing time soon would be nice.

I don't understand, there are a handful of teams around the league with a worse defense, and a generally worse lineup than the Leafs, yet even these bad teams are superior to the Leafs in puck-possession, shot totals, and general puck movement. This honestly leads me to believe it's a coaching problem, because Carlyle's Ducks' in his last year in Anaheim share a lot of the same problems as the Leafs do today.
This would really be a great time for all of them to get hot :laugh: by how unpredictable the Leafs are I wouldn't be surprised if all of them got hot and we become good again :D *knock on wood*

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Dont have a good feeling about this one but hey, the leafs do play better against "good" teams so who knows. Here's hoping

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
November was easy compared to December.

December's strength of schedule is one of the toughest in the NHL for the Leafs and we are about to find out what this team is made of.

Hopefully the Leafs rise to the challenge as this month could be the make or break part of Leafs playoff hopes.

Mr Scarface*

Every player counts and makes an impact. Even on the bench some of them do, but still I am down with the statement: If some players play more minutes than others then of course they make even a bigger impact when looking at the big picture. Even when looking at a single game alone. A player who plays 28 minutes or 20 can and is automatically making a bigger impact in every way possible than a dude that plays 9 minutes.
It's a team sport but all those big paycheck guys have to be out there and ready to play. If that ain't happening... then all the dominoes will fall at some point.

I hope Carlyle gets them going soon. Carlyle knows that it's a long 82 boom game road... so every game can't even be won. But still, he'll get them ready and shaved to go in the end. Late this season I guarantee our team is hitting more and kicking ass more. Really kicking that rear end in in so many ways.. in so many ways.

I also still recommend that our team makes some sort of trade move. A vet D-guy would be a nice addition. Phaneuf and Fraser is not enough if looking at those stay back lay back guys who take the man hard. We need one more.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
December's strength of schedule is one of the toughest in the NHL for the Leafs and we are about to find out what this team is made of.

Hopefully the Leafs rise to the challenge as this month could be the make or break part of Leafs playoff hopes.

Not keeping my hopes up. Pleased with the offseason moves except for not addressing our biggest need: Top 4 D.

Phaneuf Wideman (Gardiner + Liles for Wideman ++)
Rielly Gunnarsson

Look into trading Franson for a package including a solid bottom a pairing D.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The Leafs have allowed 4+ goals in 3 of the last 4 games... And now we're playing Joe Thornton. I don't know who I'll feel worse for; our goalie, or whichever reporter has to interview Thornton after the game :sarcasm:

Just kidding, as always I have high expectation for the 'buds.... always (even when it hurts :cry:)

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Just throwing an idea out there, what about trying ashton with kadri? Ashton is more offensively minded than an average fourth liner and he doesn't hesistate to play physical and get to the dirty areas. He could create space for kadri. And I think they had some chemistry in the marlies when they were both playing in the top 6.

Something like

Raymond-Kadri-Ashton
Or
Kulemin-Kadri-Ashton

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Raymond is has absolutely terrible IQ. Continuously makes bad passes that go to no one, absolute 0 effort to win board battles, and rarely provides puck support.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Raymond is has absolutely terrible IQ. Continuously makes bad passes that go to no one, absolute 0 effort to win board battles, and rarely provides puck support.

That's why at 1m, he's a great depth scoring forward.

he wont be with this team anymore if he expects over 2m.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Instead of a trade, why not just shake things up using our farm team?

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Leivo - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond - Holland - Clarkson
Ashton - Mcclement - Broll

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Fraser - Franson

Get some young blood into the line-up, maybe they'll actually play with some heart?

Mr Scarface*

That's why at 1m, he's a great depth scoring forward.

he wont be with this team anymore if he expects over 2m.
Yeah, exactly the type of soft player who might be scratched healthy during the playoffs. Our team is that strong and hard that it'll make Raymond go away. If we are healthy then, I see Raymond going down hard. He has talent, but is not built for the playoffs, as our whole team is in every other way. Raymond can score some during games that don't matter jack dirt. He can only play in the playoffs if our every other sucker is injured.

wetcardboard

Oct 29, 2011
Edmonton
Normally I would share most of your guy's level of non-optomism, but I just looked at the schedule and saw we have TEN HOME GAMES THIS MONTH (vs only 4 road games). That's gotta count for something given our home record. Furthermore, we don't play a single home game on a Monday night!

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Instead of a trade, why not just shake things up using our farm team?

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Leivo - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond - Holland - Clarkson
Ashton - Mcclement - Broll

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Fraser - Franson

Get some young blood into the line-up, maybe they'll actually play with some heart?

i actually like this. kuli can be physical and has played big min in the past, leivo does drive to the net and corners. leivo with his i.q. could adapt quick to second line, although i think he's potentially a 3rd liner on a great team.

i'd probably switch gardiner with reilly though; he still sucks at 2-1 which will happen against first line forwards. reilly could learn how to block shots from gunnar and cover his slow foot speed.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I actually think gunnarson is the perfect guy to pair with gardiner or rielly as he would allow them to play their game.

However, unfortunately he's our best optionwith phaneuf and that shutdown pair is pretty damn good. Their styles compliment each other, they have chemistry, and they are familiar with each others play. Also the last thing we should be doing is giving dion a new partner to get used to when he's the only good thing going for us right now.

This is why I wish we went after a non flashy stay at home number 2 d. Or atleast a gunnar type player to pair with gards or rielly. I guess ranger was supposed to be that reliable #4 guy (which he's shown flashes of) but his decision making is still too risky that he becomes a liability too often, and would be even more so if paired with gards or rielly.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
i actually like this. kuli can be physical and has played big min in the past, leivo does drive to the net and corners. leivo with his i.q. could adapt quick to second line, although i think he's potentially a 3rd liner on a great team.

i'd probably switch gardiner with reilly though; he still sucks at 2-1 which will happen against first line forwards. reilly could learn how to block shots from gunnar and cover his slow foot speed.

Rielly certainly isn't exceptional at breaking up 2 on 1s, but I'd say he isn't bad. He just plays it really safe and usually takes away the pass instead of challenging the shooter.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, exactly the type of soft player who might be scratched healthy during the playoffs. Our team is that strong and hard that it'll make Raymond go away. If we are healthy then, I see Raymond going down hard. He has talent, but is not built for the playoffs, as our whole team is in every other way. Raymond can score some during games that don't matter jack dirt. He can only play in the playoffs if our every other sucker is injured.

Even though you have a very strange way of saying it, you're right on the money with this post. Raymond is not hard enough for this team.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Jonas Siegel: Maple Leafs Cody Franson and Jay McClement didn’t practice today.
David Alter: Coach Randy Carlyle said both are options for tomorrow.

****!

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
some random thoughts, take it or leave it....

put orr or mclaren in front of the net during the pp (ala boston with chara)

put gardiner as a forward for a few games

bring up liles for a few games

play one goalie for a week, regardless of outcome

randy- get a new system!

study those tapes from game 7 last year- because you keep doing the same ****!

dion- find your mojo!

get a decent defensive dman!:help:

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
some random thoughts, take it or leave it....

put orr or mclaren in front of the net during the pp (ala boston with chara)

put gardiner as a forward for a few games

bring up liles for a few games

play one goalie for a week, regardless of outcome

randy- get a new system!

study those tapes from game 7 last year- because you keep doing the same ****!

dion- find your mojo!

get a decent defensive dman!:help:

- It worked for Boston/Chicago but Chara/Byfuglien are far more skilled then Mclaren, let's leave Orr out of this he's not big enough to screen a goalie entirely. Mclaren would work but he brings absolutely nothing else besides toughness. What happens when the puck deflects off a leg and leads to a rush the other way vs the opposing team's best forwards? I wouldn't want a slug like Mclaren out there in that situation. He's useless.

- If a goalie is riding a hot streak I could see that happening but so far both goalies have been hot. If one enter a cold streak how could you possibly leave them out there for a week. Doesn't make sense.

Agree with the rest though. If we go blow this season why not try Gardiner on forward for a game or two just for kicks?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have to go to work in a blizzard :cry:

but I really do hope the Leafs do well - we'll see. :) have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad