London Knights 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
Mark Hunter waits until the Halttunen situation is cleared up. Be patient. Mike Grier isn’t set on him staying in the AHL either.

“Grier seemed more confident about Cagnoni being around for the Cuda playoff push than Halttunen, though he hasn’t finalized a decision on either. He has until the Trade Deadline in both prospects’ respective CHL leagues, the OHL’s London Knights for Halttunen and the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks for Cagnoni, to decide. The Trade Deadline for both leagues is roughly early January.

Grier seemed less committed to keeping Halttunen in the AHL than he was with Cagnoni: “I think Tuna is a little bit different. I think it’s good for him, he’s getting a taste of playing against men and playing pro hockey.”

Regardless of how the San Jose Sharks proceed with Halttunen, Grier doesn’t think there’s a wrong answer.

“We’ve just got to make a decision here, as a development group and as an organization. If it’s better for him to be up here and have to really work for it, or get more puck touches with a really good London team and have the puck and produce offensively. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, and it’s not an easy answer, but something we’re going through probably a little bit more with him than with Luca.”

Grier was careful not to set too strict of a deadline on making the decision but said he’d prefer to get it done sooner rather than later for Halttunen’s sake and to be fair to London.“
I've felt that his 5 on 5 game will determine where he plays this year. His shot was probably NHL ready last year. He'll be great on the PP in the AHL this year but even in London last year how much did he produce 5 on 5.

Reactions: GoKnightsGo44

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I've felt that his 5 on 5 game will determine where he plays this year. His shot was probably NHL ready last year. He'll be great on the PP in the AHL this year but even in London last year how much did he produce 5 on 5.
This is fair. In any event, it would be a large stroke of good fortune to have all these returnees whose rights are owned by NHL clubs.

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
Mark Hunter waits until the Halttunen situation is cleared up. Be patient. Mike Grier isn’t set on him staying in the AHL either.

“Grier seemed more confident about Cagnoni being around for the Cuda playoff push than Halttunen, though he hasn’t finalized a decision on either. He has until the Trade Deadline in both prospects’ respective CHL leagues, the OHL’s London Knights for Halttunen and the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks for Cagnoni, to decide. The Trade Deadline for both leagues is roughly early January.

Grier seemed less committed to keeping Halttunen in the AHL than he was with Cagnoni: “I think Tuna is a little bit different. I think it’s good for him, he’s getting a taste of playing against men and playing pro hockey.”

Regardless of how the San Jose Sharks proceed with Halttunen, Grier doesn’t think there’s a wrong answer.

“We’ve just got to make a decision here, as a development group and as an organization. If it’s better for him to be up here and have to really work for it, or get more puck touches with a really good London team and have the puck and produce offensively. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, and it’s not an easy answer, but something we’re going through probably a little bit more with him than with Luca.”

Grier was careful not to set too strict of a deadline on making the decision but said he’d prefer to get it done sooner rather than later for Halttunen’s sake and to be fair to London.“
Wait ... I thought a bunch of posters said after he scored 2 goals in his first game he was gone and anyone who disagreed was flat out wrong??

Interesting take from Grier though, I've personally thought all along, his game wasn't pro ready. Certain aspects of his game are, but he can still work on his defensive side and skating. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out!

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
To be honest, not sure there is enough ice time with Musty if we have Halttunen, Cowan, Barkey, Julien, Nichol, O’Rielly, Nurmi etc.

The only way we get Musty is if he requests to only come here and the Wolves give in and don’t have a huge asking price. TBH though, I would like Musty only to move Julien down to the 3rd line and make him earn a top six role.
Could you image? That forward roster would be a bit disgusting don’t you think:

Barkey O’Reilly Cowan
Musty Julien Halttunen
Nurmi Nichol Bidgood
Van Gorp Hawery Sim/Arrowsmith

8 drafted nhl picks though maybe lose the chemistry, who knows

Last edited:

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Ya Musty would have to be on the 1st line. He scored 100pts. Cowan and Barkey are all capable of 100pts too.

Musty - Barkey - Cowan
Nurmi - O’Rielly Halttunen
Sim - Julien - Nichol
Van Gorp - Hawery - Bidgood

I think Arrowsmith would be a traded to acquire a player like Musty if Mark somehow thought we needed Musty.

I don’t think we do, and Erie needs him more tbh so I can see them paying up big to get him.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
@tjziel you are right on whether we need to add, I don’t think we need to but wouldn’t be surprised if we add anyway just to keep talent off another team and insure against injury.

I thought about that top line and it needs a natural centre hence the O’Reilly pick.

I think it’s not one top line it’s a 1A 1B scenario

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Ya Musty would have to be on the 1st line. He scored 100pts. Cowan and Barkey are all capable of 100pts too.

Musty - Barkey - Cowan
Nurmi - O’Rielly Halttunen
Sim - Julien - Nichol
Van Gorp - Hawery - Bidgood

I think Arrowsmith would be a traded to acquire a player like Musty if Mark somehow thought we needed Musty.

I don’t think we do, and Erie needs him more tbh so I can see them paying up big to get him.
Com’on folks, Haltunen and Musty playing together for the Knights, along with all your other NHL drafted returnees; that’s a no brainer. You have the draft capital and prospects to make it happen. Next season you’ll need to sell the few prospects you don’t wanna part with anyway. The time is now to gooo for it! Sharks will be happy, your fans will be happy, Musty will be happy and we’ll be happy with a fair and reasonable return. Picks and prospects…
What do you say?? This kid needs to get back on the ice and we all need to move on…Make your best offer.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Com’on folks, Haltunen and Musty playing together for the Knights, along with all your other NHL drafted returnees; that’s a no brainer. You have the draft capital and prospects to make it happen. Next season you’ll need to sell the few prospects you don’t wanna part with anyway. The time is now to gooo for it! Sharks will be happy, your fans will be happy, Musty will be happy and we’ll be happy with a fair and reasonable return. Picks and prospects…
What do you say?? This kid needs to get back on the ice and we all need to move on…Make your best offer.
Please do it. He will make that dressing room implode in his first week there! There's a reason he hasn't been moved already...

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

I’m all for it, but Mark Hunter is smarter and more patient than me lol!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Wait ... I thought a bunch of posters said after he scored 2 goals in his first game he was gone and anyone who disagreed was flat out wrong??

Interesting take from Grier though, I've personally thought all along, his game wasn't pro ready. Certain aspects of his game are, but he can still work on his defensive side and skating. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out!
I don't think that's the way the discussion went at all. What was "flat out wrong" was using a players +/- to determine if he would be sent back or not.

Reactions: tjziel

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Please do it. He will make that dressing room implode in his first week there! There's a reason he hasn't been moved already...
Well Dale Hunter helped make Ryan Merkley into a good citizen for at least a year lol. And the great thing is, if Musty doesn’t measure up to the team etiquette and standards Dale places on him, we have enough depth to say no problem you can sit a game or get 3rd line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad