GDT: LOLCanes @ LOLCats

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
if no one is in the arena to watch the great future.....do the wins count?

C'mon. Let's not go there. Remember the franchise we root for. It's not like the Canes have had a sparkling attendance record over the years.

EDIT: Speaking of attendance, good to see the Canes and the Panthers nearly at capacity on average thus far this season --> http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
There are people who attend. But thanks to "Club Red" the middle of the rink on the camera side will be open. Just that area is empty the rest of the house filled in.

I noticed that. At first, I thought to myself "wow, there's no one there on a Sunday eve???", but then later noticed that the edge/end seats were pretty well populated. What's "Club Red" all about?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I noticed that. At first, I thought to myself "wow, there's no one there on a Sunday eve???", but then later noticed that the edge/end seats were pretty well populated. What's "Club Red" all about?

Club Red is the ******* offspring of season ticket holdings and corporate boxes, on steroids.

The entire section behind the players box is sold, in a package with every other arena date (prime concert seats, prime Monster Trucks and WWE Live! Smackdown, etc.) to corporations (much like the boxes in the PNC Arena and elsewhere), who then distribute them to the loyal peons/out of town guests, and so on.

EXCEPT, those who have a ticket to the so called Club Red have the option of either watching the game live from "prime" seating, or from watching the game in a private box, complete with buffet, alcohol, and surround sound.

The result is multiple humiliating pictures that detractors use as "proof" of the Panthers' attendance woes and the liars they are about 97% attendance. It made rounds on the BoH board for a couple of weeks before they finally managed to kill it.

Speaking of the BoH board, I've noticed that it goes through moderators faster than Gleason through 2 12 oz drinks. I don't envy anyone who has to moderate there.

Anti-southern NHL bashers on one side, oversensitive Southern NHL fans on the other. Ugh.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Club Red is the ******* offspring of season ticket holdings and corporate boxes, on steroids.

The entire section behind the players box is sold, in a package with every other arena date (prime concert seats, prime Monster Trucks and WWE Live! Smackdown, etc.) to corporations (much like the boxes in the PNC Arena and elsewhere), who then distribute them to the loyal peons/out of town guests, and so on.

EXCEPT, those who have a ticket to the so called Club Red have the option of either watching the game live from "prime" seating, or from watching the game in a private box, complete with buffet, alcohol, and surround sound.

The result is multiple humiliating pictures that detractors use as "proof" of the Panthers' attendance woes and the liars they are about 97% attendance. It made rounds on the BoH board for a couple of weeks before they finally managed to kill it.

Speaking of the BoH board, I've noticed that it goes through moderators faster than Gleason through 2 12 oz drinks. I don't envy anyone who has to moderate there.

Anti-southern NHL bashers on one side, oversensitive Southern NHL fans on the other. Ugh.

Yep, both sides love to complain while flaming the other. If you think Detroit needs to stay in the West until they figure out the Phoenix situation and that they should just swap Winnipeg and Columbus you're just a jealous eastern conference fan that wants to screw Detroit. If you don't think there should be 10 teams in Canada and that they should be able to take whatever teams they want from the south in the process you're a hater. If you think that there is truth to the rumors that Phoenix is going to move you're a hater. Really can't say I envy Tarheel for having to start out there.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Coincidentally, Eric Staal and the Hurricanes both have 25 points in 21 games. So both are on pace for 57 points (Eric 27-30-57). The Canes are on pace to play zero shootouts.

As a result of Saturday's big win, the Canes are now plus-4 in goal differential, which will make some posters on the board very happy.

Also interesting to note from the stats department, Jeff Skinner is now a plus-1 on the season. Jordan Staal is still a minus-2, though.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Faulk = God. Semin had a kind of soft game imo, but still managed to get a birthday goal. Good for him.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
A lot of arenas have a special "bar" or box for people seated in the lower bowl, and it makes a lot of barns look half empty on TV. Someone in charge of that idea needs to be fired.

Too many injuries lately. My first though was Cam's back had flared up, then I saw the replay. Ellis was taking the blame for not being ready to go...and maybe Cam wasn't warmed up enough, but I find that unlikely.

Did Jokinen leave with an injury?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Rutherford said Ward's injury did occur during collision with a sliding Skille that knocked Ward back into net.

GM Jim Rutherford says Ward injured knee. Will have MRI today. Canes likely will call up Peters from Checkers, pending result of MRI.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
A lot of arenas have a special "bar" or box for people seated in the lower bowl, and it makes a lot of barns look half empty on TV. Someone in charge of that idea needs to be fired.

Or half-full, depending on how you look at it.

Beardy*

Rutherford said Ward's injury did occur during collision with a sliding Skille that knocked Ward back into net.

GM Jim Rutherford says Ward injured knee. Will have MRI today. Canes likely will call up Peters from Checkers, pending result of MRI.

With an injury like that, we'll know pretty quickly whether or not he's done for the year. Either he's done for the season, or he's fine.

Basically, its either a torn/ruptured/strained ACL/MCL/PCL and he's out until October, or he just tweaked something and he'll be fine with a hydrocortisone shot before every game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Fired? More likely promoted. As a business, they are probably happy that people are up in the bar spending money vs. worrying about what the seats look like on TV.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

Rutherford said knocked Ward's injury did occur during collision with a sliding Skille that Ward back into net.

It was actually Faulk that slid into Ward. Skille slid by him to Cam's left.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
There are people who attend. But thanks to "Club Red" the middle of the rink on the camera side will be open. Just that area is empty the rest of the house filled in.

I'm still scractching my head on why the org picked those sections. Would have made more sense to use the sections on the non-camera side so the arena doesn't look empty. It just seems like a set up for the traditional markets to crap on your 'empty' arena since it looks like those seats went unsold.

Beardy*

Fired? More likely promoted. As a business, they are probably happy that people are up in the bar spending money vs. worrying about what the seats look like on TV.

Yeah, but seeing those seats empty on a per night basis cannot be good for trying to sell advertising at the games...

They should just move the Red Zone to behind the penalty boxes. That way, the sea of empty seats is hidden from view every game.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I know that we badly need defenseman in Klesla/ Komisarek/ O' Byrne's mold but what happen if Pitkanen is out for something like one month? Our powerplay lately has been brutal and our transition game without Joni is unimpressive. Should we try to shop for offensive-minded guy like Whitney or Liles? Or we just stay calm and wait the right moment for veteran /Tyutin, Giordano, Lydman, Klesla, O'Byrne, Volchenkov or Robidas/...

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
With an injury like that, we'll know pretty quickly whether or not he's done for the year. Either he's done for the season, or he's fine.

Basically, its either a torn/ruptured/strained ACL/MCL/PCL and he's out until October, or he just tweaked something and he'll be fine with a hydrocortisone shot before every game.

I'm no doctor, but it was said that Cam was walking on his own, with a little limp and had an ice pack on his knee. If it was a torn ACL/MCL, would he be walking without crutches?

I'm hoping it's just a strain or a little inflamed that with a few days rest he'll be fine. Ellis can hold it down this week. I'm just a tad afraid of having a Ellis/Peters tandem for the rest of the year. I know Peters is doing good in Charlotte, but he always seems to do in Charlotte. It's when he gets here that he doesn't do so good.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
Fingers crossed on Ward. Maybe the MRI will show no damage. Hopefully a few days of rehab and rest will do the trick.

Can we run with the Skille injured Ward thing the way Habs' fans do with Williams murdering Koivu?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm no doctor, but it was said that Cam was walking on his own, with a little limp and had an ice pack on his knee. If it was a torn ACL/MCL, would he be walking without crutches?

I'm hoping it's just a strain or a little inflamed that with a few days rest he'll be fine. Ellis can hold it down this week. I'm just a tad afraid of having a Ellis/Peters tandem for the rest of the year. I know Peters is doing good in Charlotte, but he always seems to do in Charlotte. It's when he gets here that he doesn't do so good.

He can walk without crutches and still have a torn ACL. Years back my buddy tore his ACL in a softball game. His knee was swollen, but he was walking just fine without crutches as long as he didn't try any sort of lateral movement or sudden starts and stops.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Based on what I've seen with those injuries, primarily in football, you can partially tear most anything in your knee and walk with a limp. When you blow out 2 or 3 of the ligaments at once is when you can't move. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, but seeing those seats empty on a per night basis cannot be good for trying to sell advertising at the games...

They should just move the Red Zone to behind the penalty boxes. That way, the sea of empty seats is hidden from view every game.

I wasn't just referring to the "red zone" specifically though, more to TBK's comment about how a lot of arenas have a special "bar" or box for people seated in the lower bowl. PNC has that along both sides of the lower bowl as well as the north end.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina

I tore my ACL in 05. I was down for a few minutes but got up and limped around for a few days. The swelling went down and I tried to pretend like nothing was wrong but the knee would shift at the least bit of plant/transfer/anything other than walking straight....

ugh, dat feeling...yucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad