Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have to say, I hate to harp on a young player, I've seen Mailloux play in all NHL games, a few Junior games and a few in Laval. He has NHL size, NHL shot, good hands, decent offence but every time I watch him play I am always and I mean always wanting more out of him. I don't know what it is but I don't feel like he is a winning player. He may play in the NHL but I think he will always be one of those players who should be better than he is but never really gets there. Hope I am wrong, because he has everything going for him

Hopefully he can be solid in whatever role we need him in. May not be a game breaker.
Mailloux can use more seasoning but to me I have serious doubts that Barron becomes part of the top 6...he just doesn't have it defensively.
It's going to be interesting to see if the healthy top 6 is:

Matheon - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble

That's a lot of LD's.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully he can be solid in whatever role we need him in. May not be a game breaker.

It's going to be interesting to see if the healthy top 6 is:

Matheon - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble

That's a lot of LD's.
The pairing of Struble and Xhekaj has the potential to be the perfect bottom pairing on D.

Reactions: Andrei79

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Guhle plays with Mailloux, who plays with Matheson?

Long term, what would be better for Mailloux's defensive development: playing big minutes in the AHL this year, or sheltered minutes in the NHL, or even being in a rotation?

Since we already have 7 NHL dmen, I don't think there's any rush to have him in the NHL this year. Also, Barron is pretty good offensively. I hope he can also figure out the defensive side.
I don't see Mstheson as a long term solution. He's at his max value so i would trade him for max return. Plus he's driving me nuts on the PP. He's no QB on the PP.

The future is X, Rein, Guhle, Hutson, Mailman, Barron and Struble. Savard and Matheson for as much as we can get now or TD.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see Mstheson as a long term solution. He's at his max value so i would trade him for max return. Plus he's driving me nuts on the PP. He's no QB on the PP.

The future is X, Rein, Guhle, Hutson, Mailman, Barron and Struble. Savard and Matheson for as much as we can get now or TD.

Whatever any of us thinks about Matheson, it will be interesting to see what HuGo decide to do with him in the final year of his contract.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Not all futures turn out as planned or hoped for.

Each of the referenced members of your projected future defensive corps has their warts and limitations; (Guhle: his questionable offensive upside; Reinbacher: his lack of dynamic skill and on/ice performance; Hutson: his lack of size and elite skating ability; Mailloux: his limited defensive acumen and possessing only, at best, average skating ability: Barron: increasingly showing that he may never be more than a journeyman at the NHL level: Xhekaj: injury prone; average mobility/quickness and questionable defensive acumen and Struble: a dependable, physical everyday player who may never be more than a second pairing defenceman.

I would suggest that as of today, there is a significant drop off from Matheson and Savard’s level of performance and on ice contributions ( they are on the ice for almost half of each game) and what the seven penciled in future defencemen can presently deliver. Will they improve to the expected levels of effectiveness over the coming years? There is no certainty in this regard. As I have noted, the only certainty in hockey is the uncertainty as to most prospects' rate of development.

I think the upside projections (expectations) for many of our current defensive prospects is overly optimistic. Frankly, I think our current crop of forward prospects (Demidov, Hage, Beck, Kapanen, Florian, Tuch, Sawyer Thorpe, etc.) is much more promising than our current collections of defensive prospects. I would therefore be very hesitant to trade Matheson and Savard until there is greater clarity as to the true upside of our supposedly heralded defensive prospects. Unless of course you are willing, in most probabilities, of remaining a largely marginalized team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad