Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
He’ll get paired with Reinbacher down the line quite possibly. And if he does, he will be fine. DR covers A LOT of ice fast and is going to be able to give him the freedom to relate offence.
You don't put 2 righties together... i see Xhekaj-Mailloux on a contender team 3rd pair that's not just a shutdown line.

Honestly, if only Matheson could be a righty then we'd get

Ghule-Matheson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

So my take is we should find a way to trade Matheson + ?Barron/Engstrom? + late 1st if required for a young righty (D+2?) with 1st Def potential since Ghule is slated as the solid guy on the 1st pair. Levshunov style would be awesome.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
You don't put 2 righties together... i see Xhekaj-Mailloux on a contender team 3rd pair that's not just a shutdown line.

Ghule-Matheson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

So my take is we should find a way to trade Matheson + ?Barron/Engstrom? + late 1st if required for a young righty (D+2?) with 1st Def potential since Ghule is slated as the solid guy on the 1st pair. Levshunov style would be awesome.
I agree I wouldn’t put righties together. I was referencing Hutson to play with Reinbacher. That will make a great pair down the line. I’d play Mailloux with Ghule if he can develop his defensive game enough to get those minutes.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Ghule-Matheson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Reinbacher and Mailloux are already our young RD with 1RD potential!

Would be good to swap Matheson for a veteran top 4 RD, maybe more D oriented…but I think they stick with Guhle there for the next 2 years to see if they have that RD option internally.

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron

Could be our top 6 in 2 years. All LD/RD pairings with both offense and defence on each.

Mailloux, Reinbacher and Hutson have to show top 4 potential though

Reactions: bishop12 and Mudz

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
For sure no one will dispute that Beaulieu stagnated and just never developed. But as prospects they do have some parallels in their game/profile and at the same age they both had similar potential. Beaulieu didn't realize any of his potential, with Mailloux time will tell. We have such a better supporting staff/culture that the odds favour Mailloux much more then they ever did Beaulieu.

In terms of clear signs of progression from Mailloux, I just don't know. All the missed games just make it too hard to judge. It's like Dach, did we really see signs of progression last year compared to the year before, with it only being 4 periods there's just no way to really know for sure. Mailloux being healthy and showing progression this year will go a long way to alleviating any concerns.

I watched alot of Beaulieu live in junior and commented way back when we picked him that he was "all the tools without the toolbox" player meaning he had the skills to be an NHLer but the hockeysense was severely lacking. I doubted it would improve, much like the Saint John Seadog player with the last name White that the Wild picked with a late 1st rounder who had skating issues.

The Massive difference between Beaulieu and Mailloux is that the former had played 200 more games than the latter at the same point in their careers. Mailloux has about 2.5 more seasons to improve his hockeysense and defending where with Beaulieu there wasn't much progress on that front. I can see the similarities but I agree Mailloux needs to be given alot more playing time before I become concerned on the flaw in Beaulieu's game

(PS those Saint John Seadog teams Beaulieu played on we're stacked with talent, which inflated the draft positions of him and many of his teammates)

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Tom-Jones.jpg
I see a young Tom Jones.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I didn't think he was bad, he didn't do anything stupid off the top of my head but after tomorrow I will likely go back and watch the game in full since it was nuts due to the streaming issues to start out.

He was meh, nothing wow and didn’t do anything really stupid. Did delay some passes and shots that killed plays, his timing seemed a little off, but his decisions were right.

Also you have to take into account he was paired with Hutson for the first time ever and this takes adjustment. Hutson constantly ends up behind the net or on the opposite side coming back on d due to his offense and it’s an adjustment to have to constantly adjust your game to him.

Reactions: MasterD

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, not even close. He's had very good games in Laval. This was a rough game for him and I'm worried for people who saw the opposite. I'm kidding about that last part, but yeah, rough game.
I was watching my toddler at the same time, but he made plenty of dynamic offensive plays and seemed very solid positionally. Hutson obviously stole the show offensively but Mailloux was creating chances like a future stud himself.

Reactions: Tyson

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He was meh, nothing wow and didn’t do anything really stupid. Did delay some passes and shots that killed plays, his timing seemed a little off, but his decisions were right.

Also you have to take into account he was paired with Hutson for the first time ever and this takes adjustment. Hutson constantly ends up behind the net or on the opposite side coming back on d due to his offense and it’s an adjustment to have to constantly adjust your game to him.

There is zero point in dissecting his game as there was only a rudimentary system at best and no familiarity as well as being the first game. The second game will mean a tiny bit more but still close to zero, especially for dmen.

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII and Tyson

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Beaulieu was the Bulldogs best point producer, top 25 for Dmen in the AHL, played with Team Canada at the U20 and almost made the team at when he was a JNR so yes they where the same tier of prospect even if the goal of my comments wasn’t to compare those 2

Mailloux was top 3 in point producing blueliners in the AHL this year.

You may have not meant to compare them, but you’re off base. Both of their weaknesses may very well be hockey IQ, but Mailloux has shown constant progression since being drafted and that includes abbreviated playing time.

Beaulieu more or less stopped progressing in junior.

Mailloux’s biggest advantage is his shot, he’s going to have a shot good enough to score 10+ goals a year in the NHL on a regular basis.

Well you have to keep in mind Beaulieu's 31 points had him tied as the team's top point getter. It's doubtful Mailloux would've had 47 points if the best forward on the team had 31 points like it was for Beaulieu. And I'm not sure how missing a bunch of time somehow a positive for Mailloux. It's a negative, it's something that he will have to overcome and hopefully does.

People are letting what Beaulieu eventually did (A whole lot of nothing) colour their view of how he was seen back then. For example here's ESPN having him at 44 among all NHL prospects (Set in January 2014 so not a perfect comparison date wise), and I remember him getting as high as the 20s at some point in some of these type of lists. Whereas today Mailloux is listed as #73 on HockeyWriters. Obviously these are just examples of what is essentially a few peoples opinions on prospects, but the point remains Beaulieu was seen as a guy with similar potential to Mailloux today.

And in any case like Beaulieu, what will decide Mailloux's NHL future is whether gets better defensively. I like Mailloux's chances of doing that because unlike Beaulieu he'll actually have support and an environment that promotes player development instead of Lefebvre and Therrien being in charge and spewing nonsense.

Part of the reason for Beaulieu being ranked higher at the same juncture in their careers was due to exposure. He didn’t miss much if any time, and his junior career was rather prolific with the Memorial cup runs and the WJC stints. The issue is he pretty much stagnated after being drafted, most of us were too excited by his junior pedigree to really see it. He’s was our best prospect by a country mile due to our pool being so shallow.

Mailloux on the other hand, while I agree with what you’re saying that not playing as much is a negative.. We see clear signs of progression in him from year to year. Also of note is that Mailloux is buried behind Hutson and Reinbacher on the immediate prospect depth chart, he’s an after thought to a lot of people outside of our market because of it. He will have far less pressure and need to immediately make an impact.
In comparing Beaulieu to Mailloux, it's important to remember that Beaulieu was a LHD and Mailloux is a RHD. Mailloux also seems a bit bigger and to play a heavier game (yes I know Beaulieu could drop the gloves, but the rest of his game).

I don't think it's a terrible comparison, but to me Mailloux's AHL play was more impressive, especially considering most people felt it would be a very difficult transition for him. In terms of Canadiens AHL first year defensemen, another comparable would be Subban (also RHD, also exceeded AHL expectations). I would say that Mailloux was not as impressive as Subban, but was slightly ahead of Beaulieu, ESPECIALLY after Beaulieu's terrible quitting on the play shift at the WJC that made us all embarrassed that he was Canadian, let alone a Canadiens prospect...

Hope he pans out. I like him and Hutson as a potential future pairing.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
In comparing Beaulieu to Mailloux, it's important to remember that Beaulieu was a LHD and Mailloux is a RHD. Mailloux also seems a bit bigger and to play a heavier game (yes I know Beaulieu could drop the gloves, but the rest of his game).

I don't think it's a terrible comparison, but to me Mailloux's AHL play was more impressive, especially considering most people felt it would be a very difficult transition for him. In terms of Canadiens AHL first year defensemen, another comparable would be Subban (also RHD, also exceeded AHL expectations). I would say that Mailloux was not as impressive as Subban, but was slightly ahead of Beaulieu, ESPECIALLY after Beaulieu's terrible quitting on the play shift at the WJC that made us all embarrassed that he was Canadian, let alone a Canadiens prospect...

He’s a high end talent. RHDs his size who bring physicality, who can skate like him, and have his offensive skills are very rare. Sure he needs to iron out positional play in his own zone, but that’s to be expected considering he missed the majority of his junior career due to a combination of covid/suspension/injury. He just needs to stay healthy and get his minutes and he’ll be a force.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Like I said a couple time, I compared those 2 in the way both have good tools without the toolbox. Not necessarily comparing there style of play

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I was watching my toddler at the same time, but he made plenty of dynamic offensive plays and seemed very solid positionally. Hutson obviously stole the show offensively but Mailloux was creating chances like a future stud himself.

Mailloux was as good offensively than Hutson. His breakout passes were awesome, good IQ. He covered a lot of Hutson on the defence side. He's big, skate fast. Best player on the ice and the only one that showed he's NHL ready.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad