Lockwood suspended three games for goalie interference

Feb 20, 2013
Strange suspension. It really looks like Lockwood is trying to avoid making contact but Fleury moves into him. I can see the argument that Lockwood shouldn't be there or should slow down in the first place, but even still it isn't worth 3 games.

Unlucky for Fleury, this probably was not what he wanted given his injury history.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
pretty solid bonk to fleury's head there but 3 games is insane, lockwood at least made some effort to avoid contact but i guess he's supposed to stop and double back instead of trying to keep momentum according to the dops

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It looked to me like Lockwood could not get any farther along the wall to avoid contact with Fleury so 3 games seems heavy.

However since he's a merely a fringe NHL player, I'm sure he was easy to suspend

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That seems like a ridiculous suspension. It’s the only time I recall a goalie interference penalty resulting in a suspension and it didn’t even seem to warrant one in this case.

Unless there’s another angle that shows Lockwood getting Fleury in the head with his elbow, it’s just bad.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It looks like he caught him in the head with the shoulder at a different angle but wtf are you supposed to do there when the goalie leaves his net to play the puck at a dead stop, Fleury cuts off the entire path of the forechecker. Should he run himself into the net or come to a complete stop and back up because he's goalie.

Reactions: hn777 and Panteras

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
2 minute minor, but the league has an obligation to protect their beloved veteran goalie so I understand why he got the 3 games.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I am REALLY gonna need an alternate angle on this one because what

You can see alternate angles in NHL's video on the suspension. It's definitely not a glancing blow like it may seem in the OP's clip, but 3 games is still surprisingly high.

Last edited:

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I get the head contact part being wrong. I hate the logic of why the rules say this should be interference though. No reason why goalies shouldn't be treated as skaters if they decide to leave the crease. Contact should be allowed on them and they should be allowed to hit players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad