OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
knowledgeable people:

What are the possible explanations as to why the US and South Korea have had such drastically lower mortality rates than places like Spain or Italy?

the difference is significant.
This is a good read on what South Korea is doing:
Coronavirus cases have dropped sharply in South Korea. What’s the secret to its success? | Science | AAAS

Also, the US is behind Italy’s timeline. So we don’t really know the mortality rates here yet.

There are some other differences in Italy. They have a very densely packed population in the hardest hit areas and it’s completely overwhelming their medical system, they have one of the older populations (23% are 65+) & I guess the young and old frequently interact in their society. They also didn’t really take any of the recommended measures until it was already devastating their country. We saw their infected rates drop in the last day - they are just starting to see the positive effects of their social distancing/lockdown from 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
knowledgeable people:

What are the possible explanations as to why the US and South Korea have had such drastically lower mortality rates than places like Spain or Italy?

the difference is significant.

The U.S. is on the exact same trajectory as Spain and Italy, only a couple weeks behind. They just got hit first, but aside from that, we are on a very similar path.

7FD0F11F-1F73-4F53-B202-57319C4C7DBB.png

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Someone also explained that the hard hit countries have inaccurate mortality rates (skewing high) because only the severe are getting tested. Which makes sense logically at least.

That's true but it's also true that the mayors in Italy are saying their death toll is probably 4x higher than what is being reported. We will never know the true numbers in the least bit other than a lot of people are dying unfortunately.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Some people still don't get it unfortunately, they rush into a shop without looking, or breathe into your neck when you re waiting in line.
Most of us are not at risk, but it's to minimize the rate of new infections, so that hospitals can accommodate those in need.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Erie County's total of Covid-19 cases increases to 107
Erie County has 107 cases now (added 20)

The Erie County Health Department announced five additional cases Tuesday morning to make the total 101, then shortly thereafter Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, during his morning news conference, announced that Erie County's total of cases was 107.
The Erie County Health Department also released demographic information about the 101 cases.
Erie County's cases are have been mostly males by a 59 to 42 count.
The age group that has been most affected is 30- to 39-year-olds, which accounts for nearly a quarter of the total cases with 25.
The age distribution:
  • under 20 years – 6 cases
  • 20-29 – 16
  • 30-39 – 25
  • 40-49 – 15
  • 50-59 – 16
  • 60-69 – 13
  • 70-79 – 5
  • over 80 – 5

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
South Carolina isn’t properly reporting. As of Monday, they were still reporting 5 positive cases in Charleston County. I know for a fact that one hospital had 19 positive cases in beds alone. Crazy how little faith we can put in our government.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If the federal government prioritizes the economy over this outbreak by easing up on quarantining then we're in deep shit. I dont know if they have any legislation over what the state governments implement. Perhaps Martial law? Eitherway, under no circumstances should we stop quarantining within the first month.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If the federal government prioritizes the economy over this outbreak by easing up on quarantining then we're in deep shit. I dont know if they have any legislation over what the state governments implement. Perhaps Martial law? Eitherway, under no circumstances should we stop quarantining within the first month.

It's all States and local governments call. That's why I find it hilarious people are asking trump about it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It would be interesting to see those rates per capita as opposed to just the raw numbers.

I saw it yesterday.. I'll see if I can dig it up again later. But from what I saw we were well behind Italy and Spain in the per capita stats

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I saw it yesterday.. I'll see if I can dig it up again later. But from what I saw we were well behind Italy and Spain in the per capita stats

Well obviously - since our outbreak is a couple weeks behind theirs.

What matters is not absolute or per capita infection numbers (since those are just a snapshot in time) - what matters is growth rate.

Our outbreak is currently expanding at the same rate as Spain and Italy - that's what's so alarming. And that's why it's so misguided when people say "oh only a few hundred deaths in a country of 300 million - what's the big deal?" People need to get a handle on exponential growth rates. A few hundred deaths can turn into tens or hundreds of thousands very quickly, if extreme measures are not undertaken to slow the spread and growth rate.

Reactions: brian_griffin

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Our practice got a letter from NY's commissioner of health asking for physician, np, pa, nurses, respiratory therapists, and emt reinforcements to be mobilized downstate. Even retired professionals with lapsed licenses--they'll be immediately recertified.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Spooky. I hope they have some type of plan in place to divide and isolate their divisions moving forward, so the entire police force doesn’t end up sick down the road.

A friend of a friend on another site has a buddy who runs 4 police divisions. He said that’s what they did there. His buddy went out and found 4 separate office spaces for each of the 4 divisions he runs. Normally they were all packed into 1 building, so if 1 guy got sick he was scared it could infect all 4 divisions and take out much of that city’s police force.
Smart!

I can't speak to what the Buffalo Police are doing. I'm with Buffalo Fire and we've had a series of orders come from our Commissioner on Covid-19.

-If off duty and experiencing possible Covid-19 symptoms we are allowed to go off on administrative leave for 48hrs. With how our schedule works 24on/24off/24on/5days off, that gives a decent amount of time to sort out if you have covid19.

-We have daily monitoring at the start (0800hrs) and middle (2000hrs) of every shift handled by the company officers (Captains/LTs). Checking for symptoms of new fever, new cough and new shortness of breath. We will also be monitoring temperatures. All these reports are immediately passed on to our Battalion Chief and/or Division Chief.

-If member show signs/symptoms of Covid-19. They're to put on a mask and the officer notifies Battalion to arrange for the member to be sent home. Then have their spot filled in.

- There will be one specified entrance point for each firehouse where everyone will come in and out. No one is allowed in firehouse other than the crew working. Officers are responsible for making sure this is adhered to.

- Responding to Covid-19 calls will adhere to the 2in/2out rule. If the 2 handling the call has their gear contaminated the 2 outside can decon their gear on site. Unless its something considered a "gross contamination". Then the gear is bagged in hazmat decon bags, sealed and sent down for decon/cleaning.

There are also a few changes to various response protocols as well, like wearing a N95 mask when working on someone in cardiac arrest.

That's a rough outline of it. Its been fluid with updates as we've gone along.

EDIT: Not sure how long our supplies will last. I know the FDNY Commissioner said they are about 2 weeks away from running out of masks and other supplies. But they have the added burden of an ambulance division which would put an enormous strain on supplies in a situation like this

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Well obviously - since our outbreak is a couple weeks behind theirs.

What matters is not absolute or per capita infection numbers (since those are just a snapshot in time) - what matters is growth rate.

Our outbreak is currently expanding at the same rate as Spain and Italy - that's what's so alarming. And that's why it's so misguided when people say "oh only a few hundred deaths in a country of 300 million - what's the big deal?" People need to get a handle on exponential growth rates. A few hundred deaths can turn into tens or hundreds of thousands very quickly, if extreme measures are not undertaken to slow the spread and growth rate.

First question Dr Fauci answers is the question about Italy and if we are heading there..

Trump listens "even if we disagree on some things," Dr. Fauci says in interview about coronavirus task force - CBS News

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The governors have a much bigger say. If they adhere to shutdowns then their states will. Its just disappointing to get such a mixed or at least confusing messaging from the top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad