OT 19/3: Live Sports. ESPN+ Originals. The Exclusive Home of the Complete 30 for 30 Library. Exclusive Articles and Tools. Top Leagues and Tournaments.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tears Of The Kingdom is too tedious to be superior to Breath Of The Wild and the sages blessings suck dog turds compared the ones you got in BOTW. Thanks for making me wait 10 minutes for Riju to find her target as she runs away from me and I STILL have to shoot an arrow for a pathetic lightning strike.

The Zelda franchise as a whole needs to move away from the scarcity aspect. The fact everything breaks and even the Master Sword can't be used for 10 minutes is bull. I have never had a game offend me to that level. But I dealt with it. But to what end? You don't get anything in return for it. One game just goes from "f*** you do shrines so you can get better weapons n00b" to "f*** you do shrines so you can get better weapons n00b *AND* you gotta play Minecraft and Roblox" adding the sky map and depths was nice but I know copy and paste when I see it

These games took about 10 steps forward but went about 7 steps backward. All 10 steps forward being the massive, open world and open ended storyline that allows just as much freedom as GTA or Elder Scrolls

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I went to Publix a few days ago.

For sure, if you're feeling the pinch at the grocery store, you need to consider your other options.

Publix's BOGOs are still okay, but otherwise you're paying more for pretty much the same things that can be found anywhere.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Do you think there are people out there who live life on the edge, who have been taking it easier lately so they get to play GTA 6? Like a fire fighter who has switched to a different line of work to make sure he doesn't get into an accident at work, or a criminal who has stopped doing crime so he doesn't get prisoned. I've been thinking about this a lot.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Do you think there are people out there who live life on the edge, who have been taking it easier lately so they get to play GTA 6? Like a fire fighter who has switched to a different line of work to make sure he doesn't get into an accident at work, or a criminal who has stopped doing crime so he doesn't get prisoned. I've been thinking about this a lot.
Probably not yet. GTA 6 is still a year or more away, and there's plenty of time for another delay or two.

I don't know what it is, but I've never been all that intrigued by what I've heard about GTA 6. Either the original Project Americas plan, or this Bonnie and Clyde inspired one.

But I also had a lot of doubts about three protagonists in GTA 5, which turned out perfect.

I'm a bit more interested in what they'll do with the map, since it's based on Florida.

There's been rumors for a few weeks now about RDR1 finally getting an official PC release.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Probably not yet. GTA 6 is still a year or more away, and there's plenty of time for another delay or two.

I don't know what it is, but I've never been all that intrigued by what I've heard about GTA 6. Either the original Project Americas plan, or this Bonnie and Clyde inspired one.

But I also had a lot of doubts about three protagonists in GTA 5, which turned out perfect.

I'm a bit more interested in what they'll do with the map, since it's based on Florida.

There's been rumors for a few weeks now about RDR1 finally getting an official PC release.
I think there's too much pressure on Rockstar and GTA 6 for them to release anything but a masterpiece. I am a little worried about GTA 5 online's popularity affecting the effort they put in the story though.

I'd mostly want to see the map itself be a much bigger priority than it was in GTA 5. While the map itself was big, there was too much land filled with emptiness. It never felt like a map that was rewarding to explore. It doesn't feel alive. The land outside Los Santos doesn't offer much to me, unless there are missions to be completed there. Otherwise there are very few reasons to ever wander around in those areas.

This video that I stumbled upon a while ago explains quite well how I feel about the map.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think there's too much pressure on Rockstar and GTA 6 for them to release anything but a masterpiece. I am a little worried about GTA 5 online's popularity affecting the effort they put in the story though.

I'd mostly want to see the map itself be a much bigger priority than it was in GTA 5. While the map itself was big, there was too much land filled with emptiness. It never felt like a map that was rewarding to explore. It doesn't feel alive. The land outside Los Santos doesn't offer much to me, unless there are missions to be completed there. Otherwise there are very few reasons to ever wander around in those areas.

This video that I stumbled upon a while ago explains quite well how I feel about the map.

I don't think that GTA 6 can do the big GTA5/RDR2 style map. Florida doesn't have the geographical diversity. No mountains, no deserts.

GTA 4 might be the better template, with just the Everglades to the north and Florida Keys to the south as the game's 'countryside'.

Including the keys in particular would incentivize traveling by boat/air.

same youtuber:

It'd be funny if they depicted Copperhead as Tallahassee/Pensacola. A much smaller city being the state capital lording over the absolutely enormous Vice City.

SERA has the possibility of an Elon Musk type character.

They've got something called 'Presidential Bunker' on the speculative map. Since robberies are going to be a bigger part of the game, I could see a mission where they think they're going to rob a bunch of old, rich golfers at their club, but it turns out to be the equivalent of Mar-a-Lago, and they get tanks and helicopters coming after them.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think that GTA 6 can do the big GTA5/RDR2 style map. Florida doesn't have the geographical diversity. No mountains, no deserts.

GTA 4 might be the better template, with just the Everglades to the north and Florida Keys to the south as the game's 'countryside'.

Including the keys in particular would incentivize traveling by boat/air.

same youtuber:

It'd be funny if they depicted Copperhead as Tallahassee/Pensacola. A much smaller city being the state capital lording over the absolutely enormous Vice City.

SERA has the possibility of an Elon Musk type character.

They've got something called 'Presidential Bunker' on the speculative map. Since robberies are going to be a bigger part of the game, I could see a mission where they think they're going to rob a bunch of old, rich golfers at their club, but it turns out to be the equivalent of Mar-a-Lago, and they get tanks and helicopters coming after them.

Regardless of how the map's layout or landscape ends up looking, I really want them to try to make it as 'alive' as possible. A town of like 10 buildings in RDR2 has more life than the entirety of Los Santos. Now I'm of course not expecting them to go to that level of detail in what's supposed to depict the city of Miami, but some sort of a middle ground would be nice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Regardless of how the map's layout or landscape ends up looking, I really want them to try to make it as 'alive' as possible. A town of like 10 buildings in RDR2 has more life than the entirety of Los Santos. Now I'm of course not expecting them to go to that level of detail in what's supposed to depict the city of Miami, but some sort of a middle ground would be nice.
GTA 5 was released 10 years ago on the 360/PS3. It was plenty alive for the time.

I'd expect an improvement, but probably not to RDR2 levels. RDR is a slower paced cowboy game. The way a player would interact with the environment is different. Hunting, collecting herbs, and camping are main features.

I'd also expect GTA 6 to have fast travel, which GTA 5 didn't have IIRC, which will mitigate map design issues.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
GTA 5 was released 10 years ago on the 360/PS3. It was plenty alive for the time.

I'd expect an improvement, but probably not to RDR2 levels. RDR is a slower paced cowboy game. The way a player would interact with the environment is different. Hunting, collecting herbs, and camping are main features.

I'd also expect GTA 6 to have fast travel, which GTA 5 didn't have IIRC, which will mitigate map design issues.
That's fair, although I've forgotten a long time ago what the release was like, and I'm more thinking of the PS5 release of the game.

There's no traditional "click on the map and teleport" fast travel on GTA 5, but you can essentially fast travel with a couple of extra steps using taxis.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That's fair, although I've forgotten a long time ago what the release was like, and I'm more thinking of the PS5 release of the game.

There's no traditional "click on the map and teleport" fast travel on GTA 5, but you can essentially fast travel with a couple of extra steps using taxis.
I forgot about the taxis.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

GTA 5 is the same game on every system. There are just some added features, like new radio stations and cars, or the first person camera, and general quality of life improvements in the later releases.

I think that having multiple protagonists helps players get everything out of the game. The way that you may approach GTA 5, playing as Michael, may be different from how you play as Frankin or Trevor.

Even RDR seems to guide you towards a high honor playthrough.

The GTA map also has to be suitable towards a chaotic, long term online game, which adds a lot of considerations. Red Dead Online didn't really succeed.

Watch Dogs 2 had a pretty good map, for that type of game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
GTA 5 is the same game on every system. There are just some added features, like new radio stations and cars, or the first person camera, and general quality of life improvements in the later releases.
I think they've kept adding more cars and pedestrians with each new release, which helps in actually making it feel like a major city.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think they've kept adding more cars and pedestrians with each new release, which helps in actually making it feel like a major city.
It seems like they did increase traffic density for the re-release.

I just want this part of Orlando lore included in the game.

An 18-story office tower, under construction perpetually, out in the suburbs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Cities: Skylines 2 publisher Paradox Interactive has canceled their life-em-up "Life by You".

Paradox has admitted to shareholders that they've been on a cold streak.
We’ve performed poorly in recent releases, continued Wester. Even though we now start new projects in a different manner, it is clear that we must make further changes so that quality is more consistent and the promises we make to our players are met. We have to evaluate how we manage projects and how we organize, for we will and must get better. We have a very solid financial position and a strong core game portfolio, which keeps us confident about our future.

Life by You was revealed in March 2023, and it looked cheap and unimpressive at the time. I don't know who thought it was ready for PDXCon at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad