Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
He’s a very good GM

They are interesting and provide hope & entertainment

We have a draft and FA and many of us here are excited

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side - I have several long time friends who thought the grass was greener and there was a better job, spouse, GF or BF out there and they realized they had it very good to late

I’ll take the known over unknown when it comes to the Bruins
''They are interesting and provide hope & entertainment''
So does a preacher. Delivery is another story though.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Oh absolutely and those same people completely disregard the 2nd cup appearance by a Chiarelli team too
Those Chiarelli teams were really good for a number of years. Came so close in 2013 but that Chicago team was great too. Chiarelli may have gone off the rails by the time he got to Edmonton, but he did a fine job building up a winning team that had everything. I still don't think that 2011 team gets enough credit from many observers for how talented and deep they were. They didn't win the Cup just by pushing around Vancouver.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The post-victory embrace between Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman on the ice quickly developed into a cherished ritual for the Bruins over the past three seasons.

But don’t expect that routine to carry over to Ottawa now that Ullmark’s tenure in Boston has come to a close.

In his first official media availability with the Senators on Wednesday, Ullmark was asked if he plans to carry out a similar tradition with his new goalie partner, Anton Forsberg.

“I’m not going to bring it to Ottawa,” Ullmark acknowledged. “The goalie hug that we had in Boston, that’s for me and Sway only — and that’s out of respect for what we had and what we built through our years together and the respect and love and admiration that I have for him.

“There’s certainly — I’m not gonna say we’re gonna come up with something new or anything like that. There’s always been the celebrations after winning games. So, we’ll see what happens. Who knows? Maybe there’ll be a dab or something. But I’m not gonna try too hard to come up with a new thing or something like that. I’m just gonna have to let it play out naturally.”

Ullmark acknowledged that getting traded comes with the territory.

“I mean, it’s a part of the job. There’s always a time in your life or in your career when you’re up on the trade market or anything like that. And it’s just purely business,” Ullmark said. “Once you start something, you always want to finish it.

“But at the same time, new opportunities present themselves from these sort of things. So I would have loved to have won in Boston, but at the same time now, I’m as excited and looking forward to having the same opportunity, but in Ottawa and with the fellas there.”

Before Ullmark tries to put a young and unproven Ottawa team over the top in 2024-25, he offered more glowing reviews of the Bruins — especially when it came to Boston’s longtime goalie coach, Bob Essensa.

“Goalie Bob is a special human being in all the right ways,” Ullmark said. “He is a terrific guy. He is a special human being and he brings a smile to my face every time I see him, whenever I’m around him. We’ve had our conversations and discussions throughout the years, but there’s never been any bad blood and we’ve always had a good understanding of what needs to be done.

“And I’ve enjoyed every single moment together with him and I have a lot of gratitude towards Bobby. And I’ve said it before — and I really do think that goalie coaches should be available to be selected into the Hall of Fame. And I think he is a first-ballot Hall of Famer in that regard.”

Ullmark will hit free agency next summer after failing to agree on a contract extension with Ottawa as part of Monday’s trade, which likely hampered the return Boston received from the Senators.

For now, Ullmark seems focused on other priorities before revisiting contract talks.

“My biggest concern right now is finding a place for my family to live in and finding schools for my kids and getting to know the people in Ottawa,” Ullmark said. “So the whole contract situation and talks about that, that is something that [Ottawa GM] Steve [Staios] and my agent will deal with off to the side.

“And I told him as well that once there’s something that needs to be discussed, you can always reach me . . . So that’s the situation right now. And I try not to look too far ahead, I try to stay in the moment and not worry about what may be or what could be in the future and instead just enjoy the present.”

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Well if they are so costly, why has Sweeney given draft picks out so easily?
Let's face it, the return was very underwhelming and the Senators simply won the trade.
The Bruins had a good trade piece and Donny did not maximise the value.

There have been many many trades who won and lost took several seasons to play out. I encourage you to take that view here.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Let's face it, the return was very underwhelming and the Senators simply won the trade.
Because he was going all in having a record breaking team & what was Bergeron’s last season. That doesn’t diminish how 1st rounders are valued especially these days. That’s why he took Korpi cause he needed that 1st rounder. Nobody else was offering

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I agree that Ullmark's playoff record would have raised some doubts and lowered his value a bit. One year he's patchy, the second he's injured, the third he's almost entirely benched for the younger, cheaper man. You can point out that the injury wasn't his fault, and there's little discredit in losing out to a goalie as good as Swayman, but still, it does give some cause for think twice, despite his stellar regular season stats and Vezina win.

In that regard the Bruins did themselves no favors. The way Ullmark was used in 2023 has been acknowledged as a mistake, then sitting him this year was perfectly understandable in that the Bruins had to do whatever they thought was best to win playoff series, but it still has a small cost.

Did Sweeney therefore get the most out of the situation? I'm really not sure. If nothing else he could have held out for longer, could even have retained Ullmark into the season, especially given that the cap saving for moving him only turns out to be $2 mil. Instead he blinked and took the best offer available at the time. Ultimately impossible to know whether that was right or not, can only see how what we have now plays out.
You say only 2 million in cap space, but you don’t factor in the fact that he still would’ve had to get a vet backup, so another 1.5 or 2 million. So he possibly got 4 million cap room out of 5. Anyways, even $2 million in extra cap space is not nothing.

Also, do we really know he was injured? Monty said he asked Ullmark if he was good to go and Linus said yes. So either he let his ego take precedence over team, or didn’t realize how badly he was injured, or just making an excuse. That really rubbed me the wrong way. If you’re not 100%, let Sway play. Monty, Essensa, & Ullmark really dropped the ball in that series.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Those Chiarelli teams were really good for a number of years. Came so close in 2013 but that Chicago team was great too. Chiarelli may have gone off the rails by the time he got to Edmonton, but he did a fine job building up a winning team that had everything. I still don't think that 2011 team gets enough credit from many observers for how talented and deep they were. They didn't win the Cup just by pushing around Vancouver.

They barely got by Montreal and Tampa.

Tim Thomas's performance was their biggest asset.

No one has played a game yet, how can the Sens have won the trade?

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Those years were fantastic no doubt. But at the same time it should’ve been so much more. The apex was reached in those two seasons where we drafted Seguin, won the cup, and followed that up by drafting Hamilton. Team was just reaching its prime to. At that moment I thought we were good for a long time. But didn’t really go that way. It was a successful decade, but it should’ve been so much more.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019

Yup. Thomas was amazing. But I think team toughness and “us against the world” attitude was huge as well. That team just oozed chemistry and refused to die. So glad I got to enjoy that season.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Playoffs are building momentum as you go, one night it can be goaltending another night could be a third winner scoring in overtime or having a teammate knock out by a cheap shot.

Its never about one player or thing. But you must have a team with fortitude and balls to withstand momentum swings.

And a shit ton of luck.

Bruins just haven't had many if any Players to take over games in the playoffs when it was needed.

Before Pasta scored in OT vs the leafs there hasn't been many

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I'm watching Boston vs Ottawa right now and Korpisalo has been very good. We're up 2-0 on 6 shots but all 6 shots have been uncovered right in the slot. Made me think about the kind of defense Korpisalo played behind...

OTTAWA...
View attachment 887865

as opposed to BOSTON...

View attachment 887866

People are trying way too hard to justify his acquisition. With the 2 mil of cap space wasted away on this watch it burn Sweeney in FA. He should be able to get a center and winger to replace JDB, but I doubt he will have enough cap space for another solid defenseman, he will get another Shattenkirk type instead of someone like Dillon.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
They got by them largely because Nathan Horton was a hero in those playoffs. I.e., because they had good players that rose to the occasion, which was my point. They aren't going to put an asterisk on the Cup that Florida just won because they "barely" got by Edmonton.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Those years were fantastic no doubt. But at the same time it should’ve been so much more. The apex was reached in those two seasons where we drafted Seguin, won the cup, and followed that up by drafting Hamilton. Team was just reaching its prime to. At that moment I thought we were good for a long time. But didn’t really go that way. It was a successful decade, but it should’ve been so much more.
Dealing away Seguin and Hamilton contributed to that certainly and was probably the sign that Chiarelli was getting overly confident in his ability to mastermind together a winning team, and was taking the roster largess for granted a bit. No guarantees but there could have been a much stronger throughline from 2010 to 2020, as you're saying.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Draft picks always cost more draft week or draft day. Yes I was disappointed in the return but it was obviously the best offer out there. Like any trade time will tell who won it.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Dom does have the source with Ottawa - I knew that so when he told me early on I was confident he ends there

When he told me Ottawa and I had not seen them out there I was looking at Colorado & NJ etc but not bleeping Sens

He had team but the package is dependent on an extension

Without an extension and the player has one year left it’s a drastic difference in what you get

Boston wanted to pick tomorrow night so they had to come to a compromise

Ottawa didn’t want to repeat the DeBrincat deal overpaying without a LTD

Im headed to Dunks and my song of the day is going to be What’s so Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding

Also I’m trying to figure out how @NeelyDan could get 388 PIM in junior hockey but look like a Teddy Bear (I guess looks can be deceiving)
Yep spot on DKH.. I think that is the response needed and why the return was lower than the one I thought they could get.

For a guy hockey is the 4 or 6 th sport, you are pretty good. ;)

''They are interesting and provide hope & entertainment''
So does a preacher. Delivery is another story though.
you could be surprise with some result good preacher can have on folks....
I for one am surprise with the 2023-2024 Sweeny Bruins gave me.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good morning from the most alarming-looking teddybear north of the border and happy debate day!

View attachment 887934

Yep spot on DKH.. I think that is the response needed and why the return was lower than the one I thought they could get.

For a guy hockey is the 4 or 6 th sport, you are pretty good. ;)
Dom called me when I was on my Colorado for 24OA soap box and said I had wrong team -‘ watch for Ottawa my buddy works there and they think he’s a heck of goalie’

I’m very surprised he didn’t extend but it’s his right and it’s such a big decision

In retrospect I don’t blame him - he would have played in Buffalo, Ottawa, and Boston so he can have a significant market next summer if doesn’t extend

Kind of sucks he didn’t extend for Bruins fans because return is better but that’s how it goes

Reactions: Bradely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad