Linus Ullmark takes shot at Leafs / Samsonov: I was surprised that they kept [Ilya] Samsonov in for that many games against us

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
“I was surprised that they kept [Ilya] Samsonov in for that many games against us in the playoffs,” said Ullmark. “I felt that every time we played the Leafs and he [Joseph Woll] was in net, it felt like it was more of a challenge even though I’m not a player. Just watching him, it looked like he was in so much more control of the situation that was thrown at him.”

“As a goalie and the players as well, they feed off of these things. If they see a guy that may be flopping around a little bit too much or leaving out crazy rebounds, feeling that you always have to struggle with it, then you get a little bit more on edge compared to if you have a goaltender that contains the puck or puts pucks in areas that are not a threat,” Ullmark explained.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toron...on-playoff-series-victory-against-maple-leafs

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
He isn’t wrong. Samsonov looked like a fish out of water most nights. Leafs gotta get more security in net. Woll is just a better goalie, more composed, makes big saves when the team needs it. The issue is staying healthy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
sJXCVL.gif

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's not really a shot at the Leafs. More of a blunt observation about a specific roster decision. The Leafs probably agree with Ullmark but feel they didn't have a choice, given Woll's health.

I consider it a shot at the coaching staff that is why I put that. Woll was healthy the entire series, just struggled to get back into game shape after his injury for a month after. But he got better and better as the season went on but it felt like the coaches wanted to play not to lose and went with the vet over the rookie.

Woll should have seen the net for game 4. Most Leaf fans were screaming it

Reactions: Voight and Realgud

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I wouldn’t really consider a shot

We don’t get honest or blunt answers enough in this sport. So every time we hear something that could be perceived as critical it’s almost a shock

He’s not wrong with regards to the way the team plays in front of both goaltenders.

It’s a shame Woll continues to struggle with injuries. He has a lot of promise otherwise.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love when other players open up about other teams like this. This is a true statement Ullmark is saying and I agree completely... Also this is a huge compliment and confidence boost for Woll. TO fans should be ecstatic that Ullmark said this cause you know Woll is grinning ear to ear reading that quote

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well he wasn’t wrong, sounds like he won’t be going to the leafs.
Woll must like the comment.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
He's saying what I was thinking. Personally I couldn't believe he started game 4 and when Woll came into game 5 and played extremely well, I could feel the series turn on a dime.

Reactions: banks

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
This was actually a shot at Tavares more than anything.

He's basically saying "as if old man Tavares could ever get a few points with how useless he's looking out there, Samsonov is obviously not gonna have any support and you know he's spotting us 3+ a night"

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I mean he's right, a terrible characteristic of this Leafs management philosophy is sticking with the status quo as long as you can somewhat justify it (no matter how unreasonable the justification is)

They kept going back to Sammy and didn't change until they had nothing to lose and the risk of the switch was 0. You're seeing risk aversion once again with how the core is run back every year

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Ullmark is right. Most fans who watched the series would say the same thing.

And the two people responsible for the mistake, Samsonov himself for playing poorly and Keefe for continuing to put him in, have both paid for their mistake with their jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad