Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Yes, at his peak he blew Brodeur away. Brodeur had more longevity in the NHL because Hasek was older when he came over.

Hasek was as far ahead of other goalies at his peak as Gretzky was ahead of other forwards.

If Hasek was Canadian, he would be up there with Gretzky, Howe, and Orr in how people talk about them like it is unanimous that they are in a certain special GOAT tier.

I am not saying that it is active xenophobia, it's just marketing. Canadian players are more popular in Canada, and the history of the league has been viewed more through a Canadian retrospective by fans because it's only when Bettman took over that the league started making inroads expanding the footprint of the game across the US (with the exception of the Northeast). The league also has only been an international league for a few decades and prior to that it was mainly Canadians and some Americans. So in terms of where players rank in history, I think Canadians in the past have commanded a higher level of interest, which results in guys like Hasek being underrated compared to the more marketable players like Roy and Brodeur.

Yes.

Also, fun fact, I own a Hasek Senators jersey.

Easily.

Damn, I'm jelly.
He shouldn’t have suited up for the Czechs in Turin Olympics. We were gonna win the Cup. That’s why Brodeur is better. He’s so good league had to nerf him with the trapezoid.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He shouldn’t have suited up for the Czechs in Turin Olympics. We were gonna win the Cup. That’s why Brodeur is better. He’s so good league had to nerf him with the trapezoid.
I was cheering for the Czech's in 98 because of him (and a few others like Jagr & Straka), but could have done without the Turin turn of events. You're damn right that's the best chance the Senators ever had. That kind of made me have a hate on for international hockey and thought of that when the commentators today brought up Ullmark potentially starting for Sweden.

I think Brodeur probably accomplished the most, while Roy redefined the position, but for raw ability and especially at their peak, I have to give it to Hasek. They both won Olympic gold and cups but Brodeur has more of both. Brodeur played on a better team most of the time, but Hasek ultimately won on stacked Detroit teams and wasn't the starter for the 2nd cup.

Hasek's .922 career save percentage is the highest among retired goalies though, .010 higher than Brodeur. 6 Vezinas and 2 Hart trophies (+ 1 more nomination) which is 2 and 2 more than Brodeur, so he's arguably more individually decorated and has the record for the most important goaltender statistic. 1998-99 might be the best goaltending season ever considering the finals run and had they enforced the foot in the crease lunacy that was happening at the time, would have had a game 7 winner take all against the Stars.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, Ullmark brutal in his post game comments after Vegas,

"If we had a capable goalie, we'd have won 4-3"

I like him taking accountability but hope he's not so hard on himself that he messes up his confidence.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I like him taking accountability but hope he's not so hard on himself that he messes up his confidence.

I think he's working the mic. He's a vet who knows what a knowledgeable hockey crowd wants to hear.

I'm confident he'll shake the rust off and be better tomorrow.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
could have been a tad better there. Needed to win that one.
Each of these types of losses has the potential to slowly eat at the overall enthusiasm and will.
Or it can build resiliency. We’ll see.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes, at his peak he blew Brodeur away. Brodeur had more longevity in the NHL because Hasek was older when he came over.

Hasek was as far ahead of other goalies at his peak as Gretzky was ahead of other forwards.

If Hasek was Canadian, he would be up there with Gretzky, Howe, and Orr in how people talk about them like it is unanimous that they are in a certain special GOAT tier.

I am not saying that it is active xenophobia, it's just marketing. Canadian players are more popular in Canada, and the history of the league has been viewed more through a Canadian retrospective by fans because it's only when Bettman took over that the league started making inroads expanding the footprint of the game across the US (with the exception of the Northeast). The league also has only been an international league for a few decades and prior to that it was mainly Canadians and some Americans. So in terms of where players rank in history, I think Canadians in the past have commanded a higher level of interest, which results in guys like Hasek being underrated compared to the more marketable players like Roy and Brodeur.
This is bizarre. If you do a poll here and ask everyone , I am willing to bet it would be 90-10 Hasek. Has nothing to do with xenophobia . Brodeur benefitted from a trapping team

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Agreed. If anything it shows how confident he really is.

Rewatched the highlights, and I only have an issue with the 5th goal, if any. One of those games. Up to that point , he was reassuringly good.

I know we all suffer from PTSD when it comes to goalies here. But Vasilevskiy let in 5 against Ottawa. If we are looking for perfection, and this is not directed at you but to everyone, you are going to be sorely disappointed

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Agreed. If anything it shows how confident he really is.

Rewatched the highlights, and I only have an issue with the 5th goal, if any. One of those games. Up to that point , he was reassuringly good.

I know we all suffer from PTSD when it comes to goalies here. But Vasilevskiy let in 5 against Ottawa. If we are looking for perfection, and this is not directed at you but to everyone, you are going to be sorely disappointed
Yup, when you look at the goals, that's probably the one you can really blame on him. Even then, he had to really push across on the 3 on 2 and it was a well placed shot. That's the one he probably should have had. Didn't have much of an issue with his game. He did look a little rusty, but he made some big saves through the game. The team needs to learn from this loss since it is a perfect teaching moment early on the season.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup, when you look at the goals, that's probably the one you can really blame on him. Even then, he had to really push across on the 3 on 2 and it was a well placed shot. That's the one he probably should have had. Didn't have much of an issue with his game. He did look a little rusty, but he made some big saves through the game. The team needs to learn from this loss since it is a perfect teaching moment early on the season.
I blame Cousins for the loss, can't be taking penalties like that late in the game, but Amadio falling and giving up the go ahead was crushing.

Vegas didn't deserve the win, and while moral victories can ring a little hollow, it's nice seeing us play well.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I blame Cousins for the loss, can't be taking penalties like that late in the game, but Amadio falling and giving up the go ahead was crushing.

Vegas didn't deserve the win, and while moral victories can ring a little hollow, it's nice seeing us play well.
Play the same tomorrow and we have a chance

Love the accountability
Massive difference from the past and from certain players full of excuses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad