Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Martin Gerber was worse.
I'm going to disagree here because Gerber actually was capable of making good saves every now and then. His save percentages as a Senator weren't awful, either.

Korpisalo's calling card is game-breaking goals being let in that virtually any NHL-caliber goalie would have had.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He is getting 8M at this point, unless he is really bad. Swayman's contract combined with the rising cap is absolutely going to push things forward. You look at Saros, who signed a few months ago, and now that looks like a discount.

It's just a question of how friendly the terms will be. NMC or NTC? Signing bonus? 6 years vs 8 years? Etc.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Disagree. Korpisalo and Murray were the two worst goalie contracts ever handed out in Ottawa. Two mentally fragile cry babies who you simply could not count on, and the team played like they couldn't count on them every single game.

The crazy part of the Murray contract was that Dorion gave term to a struggling goalie and didn't get any sort of discount.

I liked gambling on Murray for a late 2nd, but I figured we would give him a year to see if he could bounce back, not lock him down to one of the highest goalie cap hits in the league.

As far as Korpisalo goes, while it's very clear Dorion's pro accounting (his own or his staff) completely failed during his tenure, last off-season was clearly a GM who knew he wouldn't have to deal with the ramifications of the contracts he gave out. He apparently offered Tarasenko 5.5x5, on top of the Korpisalo contract. Not getting control of the team in time to handle last off-season set Staios and Andlauer back years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Martin Gerber was worse.
Ya I'm gonna have to disagree there. I'd take Gerber over Korpisalo if that were the choices.

Gerber at least had the stats to that point to back up the deal, unlike Korpisalo with a 9 year resume of only 3 quality seasons, 1 of which being a UFA contract season and another way back in his rookie season.

Also worth noting that Gerber was only a 3 year deal compared to 5 for Korpisalo which swings it pretty easily. I'd imagine their percentage of the cap was similar too.

Right when I thought we might round the corner, we added an obstacle peddled as a solution.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Disagree. Korpisalo and Murray were the two worst goalie contracts ever handed out in Ottawa. Two mentally fragile cry babies who you simply could not count on, and the team played like they couldn't count on them every single game.

How the hell did I forget about Murray? PTSD maybe? That was a terrible contract.

What made Gerber such a bad contract was that his goaltending literally cost the Sens chances at the Cup. Even if Murray or Korpisalo had been all stars, they still wouldn't have given the Sens a chance at the Cup.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How the hell did I forget about Murray? PTSD maybe? That was a terrible contract.

What made Gerber such a bad contract was that his goaltending literally cost the Sens chances at the Cup. Even if Murray or Korpisalo had been all stars, they still wouldn't have given the Sens a chance at the Cup.
Fair point, but the reality of being stuck with Korpisalo had a lot of people ready to rebuild the rebuild. Him cratering immediately was pretty destructive to the outlook. It's incredible SS pulled off what he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad