Komarov - Spaling - Bailey
Arcobello - Carrick

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Leivo will replace Leo if necessary, and Brown or Frattin will be called up if Lupul gets hurt.

All in all, this team will surprise many under Babcock. It should be a very feisty and competitive team. By no means a playoff team, but I don't think the worst either.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I won't do cap hit but:

JVR - Kadri - Lupul
Matthias - Bozak - Paranteau
Winnik - Holland - Panik
Komarov - Spaling - Bailey
Arcobello - Carrick

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Leivo will replace Leo if necessary, and Brown or Frattin will be called up if Lupul gets hurt.

All in all, this team will surprise many under Babcock. It should be a very feisty and competitive team. By no means a playoff team, but I don't think the worst either.

This is what it looks like on paper now, I agree...

But I am expecting one or two of: Marner, Nylander, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Soshnikov, Harrington, Percy, Loov, Granberg, Nilsson to earn a spot out of camp.

Should be a fun training camp! September can't come fast enough!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
JVR - Bozak-Parenteau
Winnik- Kadri - Lupul
Matthias - Holland-Arcobello
Komarov-Spaling-Panik
- Bailey

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
JVR - Bozak-Parenteau
Winnik- Kadri - Lupul
Matthias - Holland-Arcobello
Komarov-Spaling-Panik
- Bailey

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

I agree with you, if Bozak doesn't get traded I can see him and JVR being put together and Kadri-Lupul.

JVR-Bozak-Parenteau
Matthias-Kadri-Lupul
Winnik-Holland-Panik
Komarov-Spaling-Hyman/Frattin/Carrick
Arcobello

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lupul - Kadri - Winnik
JVR - Bozak - Parenteau
Matthias - Holland - Panik
Komarov - Spaling - Arcobello
Carrick

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Robidas
Marincin - Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

A bit of a revised lineup to include Bozak and Matthias. I have feeling Winnik will be used A LOT to start the season. Babcock will probably drive us nuts with his usage of Winnik.

I think this a pretty balanced lineup. Arcobello will rotate with Carrick if everyone is healthy, probably depending on the game.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Lupul - Kadri - Winnik
JVR - Bozak - Parenteau
Carrick

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Robidas
Marincin - Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

A bit of a revised lineup to include Bozak and Matthias. I have feeling Winnik will be used A LOT to start the season. Babcock will probably drive us nuts with his usage of Winnik.

I think this a pretty balanced lineup. Arcobello will rotate with Carrick if everyone is healthy, probably depending on the game.

Winnik was really good with Kadri last year and brings a bit of defensive presence to that line with Kadri and Lupul.

Barring more trades, looks like one forward spot open for the 4th line or extra forward.
Imagine it will be Carrick, Frattin, Hyman and Bailey all fighting it out.
Would be nice to see Frattin step it up a bit and grab a spot. He definitely showed some promise his first time around.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Lupul - Kadri - Winnik
JVR - Bozak - Parenteau
Carrick

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Robidas
Marincin - Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

Man, just like the Randy Carlyle did do. He played games a whole lot with Winnik too. They all have to do it. Our team is so scum right now so we just have to play the game with fine players. It goes like that.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I have feeling Winnik will be used A LOT to start the season. Babcock will probably drive us nuts with his usage of Winnik.

I think Babcock will have the good sense to limit him to 2nd/3rd line usage.

Part of the goal for the 2015/16 season will be to get as many of these guys dealt at the deadline as possible, not doing whatever it takes to keep the coach's job and try to scrape into the playoffs.

Babcock will be wanting to get Matthias some top-6 exposure, and Parenteau as well.

These guys both likely signed in Toronto on 1-year deals so they could get exposure in the top 6 and get dealt to post-season contenders.

Winnik signed a two-year deal and probably wants to stay in Toronto as part of the solution.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I actually don't mind our bottom six forward group. Seems to be a lot of grinders in there. They will at the very least work hard.

But at the end of the day most of those guys are just placeholders until the calvary arrives.
I am way more keen this season to watch the Marlies games.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
If bozak can be dealt I wouldn't mind a lineup that looks something like this:

Lupul kadri parenteau
Jvr holland winnik
matthias spaling panik
Komarov carrick arcobello

Gardiner Phaneuf
Rielly hunwick
Marincin Polak

Bernier
Reimer

My thinking with the top two lines is that parenteau is more of a pick distributor and kadri and lupul are guys who like to have the puck and handle it more than parenteau. Jvr and kadri haven't worked as well as hoped as of yet so I can see holland getting a shot with jvr if bozak is dealt. Also could swap panik and winnik too. 3rd and 4th lines are next to impossible to guess on who plays where and with who. With the defensive pairings I think gardiner and phaneuf can be a pretty good pairing, takes phaneuf away from the offensive mindset and would compliment eachother well. Hunwick is an underrated dman that is quietly effective and can play the right side, wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Rielly to see what chemistry they can have. Also think Polak is a solid 3rd pairing dman and rather him get some easier minutes to make him more effective to flip at the deadline. Polak and marincin could make an intriguing bottom pair IMO.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Lupul - Kadri - Winnik
JVR - Bozak - Parenteau
Carrick

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Robidas
Marincin - Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

From what I've read from DRW fans, Babcock does have a thing for putting a 'grinder' type on every line. I wouldn't be surprised if Komarov ends up being one of his favourites as well.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Lmaoooo this lineup without Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, etc on it looks like the worst in the league by far. I know most are happy with that for now but wow that's embarrassing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
From what I've read from DRW fans, Babcock does have a thing for putting a 'grinder' type on every line. I wouldn't be surprised if Komarov ends up being one of his favourites as well.

I'm on the fence about Komarov because he just wasn't the same after that hit from Ovechkin, and it's a concern he may not ever bounce back.

I like the idea of a "grinder" on each line, I think that may be where they see Matthias fitting in, in the top 6.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Current roster assuming no further FA signings:

Forwards:

Joffrey Lupul ($5.25M) Nazem Kadri ($4.1M) Shawn Matthias ($2.3M)

James van Riemsdyk ($4.25M) Tyler Bozak ($4.2M) Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau ($1.5M)

Daniel Winnik ($2.25M) Peter Holland ($0.775M) Leo Komarov ($2.95M)

Mark Arcobello ($1.1M) Nick Spaling ($2.2M) Richard Panik ($0.975M)

Defencemen:

Dion Phaneuf ($7M) Morgan Rielly ($1.744M)

Jake Gardiner ($4.05M) Stephane Robidas ($3M)

Roman Polak ($2.75M) Matt Hunwick ($1.2M)

Extra Skaters:
Matt Frattin ($0.8M), Josh Leivo ($0.925M), Martin Marincin ($700M)

Other Notables: Soshnikov, Bailey

Goalies:

Jonathan Bernier ($4.75M)
James Reimer ($2.3M)

Buyouts/Salary Retentions:
Tim Gleason ($1.833M), Phil Kessel ($1.2M), Carl Gunnarsson ($0.2M)

Total Cap Hit: $64.302M

Adjusted positions based on recent news reports (Friedman, etc.)

Parenteau and Matthias are likely to flip-flop within the top 6, but I think having 2Cs on that top line is what makes the most sense, for face offs, at least.

Bozak doesn't seem to need any help in that respect.

Arcobello is another guy that could in theory get further up the lineup to promote his trade value at the deadline, but IMO this guy is Bozak-lite and isn't really a good trade chip. Hope he proves me wrong.

Defensive pairings are mostly based off last year. Robidas with Gardiner makes a vet/prospect duo, Polak/Hunwick close out the bottom, and Marincin is the extra d-man.

Doubtful if Frattin sticks as the extra forward, but that's who I'm pencilling in for now.

Could be any of a multitude.

There are also reports that Nylander could make the jump to the NHL roster, so if he does, that likely bumps Matthias or Parenteau to 3rd line duties.

Still just estimating Bernier's cap hit at this point.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
I think Babcock will have the good sense to limit him to 2nd/3rd line usage.

Part of the goal for the 2015/16 season will be to get as many of these guys dealt at the deadline as possible, not doing whatever it takes to keep the coach's job and try to scrape into the playoffs.

Babcock will be wanting to get Matthias some top-6 exposure, and Parenteau as well.

These guys both likely signed in Toronto on 1-year deals so they could get exposure in the top 6 and get dealt to post-season contenders.

Winnik signed a two-year deal and probably wants to stay in Toronto as part of the solution.

This is an excellent point. I figure they're also gonna be highly motivated to stay in the top 6 and tow the line.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lupul - Kadri - Paranteau
JVR - Holland - Winnik
Matthias - Bozak - Frattin
Komorov - Spaling - Arcobello
Panik

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Marincin - Rielly
Hunwick - Polak
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

PK 1: Komorov - Spaling
PK 2: Holland - Winnik

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
Lmaoooo this lineup without Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, etc on it looks like the worst in the league by far. I know most are happy with that for now but wow that's embarrassing.

Embarassing is icing a bunch of underachievers and trying to sell them as contenders.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Embarassing is icing a bunch of underachievers and trying to sell them as contenders.

This is true just as much as what you were quoting.

You can't realistically tell people that the Leafs teams of the last 5 years were competitive enough to compete. But we also can't expect this roster, even under the magical Mike Babcock, to do anything special.

I know that Toronto is full of people that will go to watch any type of hockey, but how do you honestly sell a ticket with the highest profile player is _________ ? (Kadri, Rielly, Phaneuf or JVR)

They've said that Nylander is going to spend the year with the Marlies at centre and Marner at centre with the Knights. So you can't sell the fact that it's going to be a young and improving roster.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
JVR - Holland - Parenteau
Lupul - Kadri - Komarov
Winnik - Bozak - Panik
Matthias - Spaling - Arcobello

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Reilly - Polak
Marincin - Robidas
Hunwick

Hiolland - JVR had a littlle chemistry i remember for a few games

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
That management team is gone.

This team is going to play to the pain.

What would be embarrassing is if it is better than last year's team.
You're in for a rude awakening.

There isn't a chance in hell we're worse than last year, and I'm not suggesting I'm opposed to that. We filled our roster with a bunch of guys that can get the job done. The management is liable when we give away 5-6 spots in the first round.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You're in for a rude awakening.

There isn't a chance in hell we're worse than last year, and I'm not suggesting I'm opposed to that. We filled our roster with a bunch of guys that can get the job done. The management is liable when we give away 5-6 spots in the first round.

I won't be surprised by anything this team does, unless it gets to the 3rd. round of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad