Line Combos: Lines you expect to see vs what you want to see

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
If Kasper outplays Rasmussen, they should trade him to make room. That #3LW spot would be perfect for him.
Ras is the one piece I always include in any head cannon trade I make for a piece of significance. Hes like the perfect young roster player with all this enticing potential that you can see a GM talk themselves into who has term, not a lot of cap hit, plays big and strong and tough and is the guy you want on a contender or a up and coming.

Conversely I don’t think he is so good he’s not imminently replaceable and I don’t really see his role being anything more on this team than a big guy physical try hard. Hes like the perfect “oh, I would hate to loss him” trade chip for us haha

• Love
Reactions: Run the Jewels

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Debrincat-Larkin-Tarasenko
Kane-Copp-Raymond
Motte-Compher-Rasmussen
Fischer-Veleno-Kasper

Berggren

Chiarot-Seider
Gustafsson-Holl
Edvinsson-Petry

Tablbot
Husso
Lyon

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Offense
Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Berggren-Compher-Kane
Rasmussen-Kasper-Tarasenko
Copp-Veleno-Fischer
Motte

Would like to see one of Kasper or Danielson make the team. Edge goes to Kasper if he has a good camp since he's already played a few seasons of pro hockey. Let Danielson simmer in Grand Rapids for a season and learn the pro game and play against men before coming up to the big club. But if he has a great camp he should be up too. Would be nice to see Mazur get some games to cover for injuries if needed.

Defense
Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Gustafsson

Bottom pairing is some combination of Johansson, Maatta, and Petry. Play the hot hand. Holl can be used if there are injuries.

Goaltending
Talbot
Lyon

Husso

Hopefully Husso is bought out if there's a second buyout window. Otherwise Talbot and Lyon can split starts and Husso will be backup if there's an injury. If Husso is gone, Cossa should get some games if we need a goalie.

Overall
Honestly feeling pretty good about this roster. If Yzerman manages to pull a trade for a #2-3 dman this offseason I'll be feeling great about it. That's the only glaring hole for me. But with or without that, I think Edvinsson will be up to speed sooner than later and I think by mid-season we'll have two dmen capable of driving a pair. Lots of talent and great depth in the forward group. And I think we could get good results from splitting starts equally between Talbot and Lyon in the recent Boston-style 1A/1B scenario.

I think Lalonde is probably the one in the hot seat this season. Missed the playoffs by 1 point last season and that was with *two* roughly month-long losing streaks of horrible uninspired play. That's not acceptable and whether it's a problem of preparation, execution, coordination, or whatever, it can't happen again. Overall this roster is an upgrade on last year's roster, so if they can manage to do without the month-long collapses I think they should get into the post-season.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Personally:

DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane
Raymond - Compher - Tarasenko
Rassmusen - Copp - Berggren
Motte - Veleno - Fischer

Mazur/Kaspar/Danielson

Whether or not they’ll be good I don’t know. I’m not the coach.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The most palatable defensive pairing I can think of at the moment are:

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Maatta - Gustafsson
(Johansson - Holl)

And I genuinely do not like a single pairing there lol.

You mean those are the pairings Fester will give us. Not palatable. There's potential from the kids but I just get this gut feeling Fester is going to play Edvinsson 17 minutes a night, Johansson maybe 30 games, and we'll see more of Petry and Chiarot getting 22 minutes a night. And Gustafsson on PP1 while Seider is on PP2 for whatever dumb f***ing reason.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You mean those are the pairings Fester will give us. Not palatable. There's potential from the kids but I just get this gut feeling Fester is going to play Edvinsson 17 minutes a night, Johansson maybe 30 games, and we'll see more of Petry and Chiarot getting 22 minutes a night. And Gustafsson on PP1 while Seider is on PP2 for whatever dumb f***ing reason.

I hear you, but honestly with those eight bodies I'm not sure that Lalonde (or any coach) can put together cohesive pairings. That's an Yzerman issue imo.

To me you have Seider (top pairing), Chiarot, (second pairing), Petry, Maatta, and Gustafsson (third pairing, Holl (7D), and the two kids Edvinssson and Johansson. In terms of experienced NHLers our blue line would look like:

X - Seider
Chiarot - X
Maatta - Gustafsson
Holl

Now if Edvinsson and Johansson can fill those two big holes in our top 4, then hell yeah. I just don't think that's a fair expectation to put on those players or a reliable plan for a team trying to break into the playoffs. I was hoping that we would pair Edvinsson with a reliable top 4 RHD, play Johansson with a competent partner on the third pairing (or have him as the 7D competing for a spot and filling in when the injuries hit), and I'd have liked to see us add a legitimate top 4 LHD to play next to Seider.

At this point it's clear we're not going to add the two top 4D I was hoping for. I hope Yzerman can add at least one player via trade to make this blue line a little bit easier to stomach.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I hear you, but honestly with those eight bodies I'm not sure that Lalonde (or any coach) can put together cohesive pairings. That's an Yzerman issue imo.

To me you have Seider (top pairing), Chiarot, (second pairing), Petry, Maatta, and Gustafsson (third pairing, Holl (7D), and the two kids Edvinssson and Johansson. In terms of experienced NHLers our blue line would look like:

X - Seider
Chiarot - X
Maatta - Gustafsson
Holl

Now if Edvinsson and Johansson can fill those two big holes in our top 4, then hell yeah. I just don't think that's a fair expectation to put on those players or a reliable plan for a team trying to break into the playoffs. I was hoping that we would pair Edvinsson with a reliable top 4 RHD, play Johansson with a competent partner on the third pairing (or have him as the 7D competing for a spot and filling in when the injuries hit), and I'd have liked to see us add a legitimate top 4 LHD to play next to Seider.

At this point it's clear we're not going to add the two top 4D I was hoping for. I hope Yzerman can add at least one player via trade to make this blue line a little bit easier to stomach.

That is not a defense you want if you're even thinking about sniffing the playoffs. Especially when your goaltending is suspect.

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
Raymond - Larkin - Kane
DeBrincat - Copp - Tarasenko
Compher - Rasmussen - Danielsson
Motte - Kasper - Fischer
Berggren

Chiarot - Seider
Lagesson - Määttä
Edvinsson - Petry
Gustafsson - Holl

Lyon
Talbot
Husso

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
Debrincat- Larkin - Raymond
Kane/Tarasenko - Compher - Tarasenko/Kane
Rasmussen - Copp - Berggren
Motte - Kasper - Fischer

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Määttä
Gustafsson - Petry

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
Husso in a transfer from the squad and already signed Campbell replaces, I think Husso is a reserve, I think Husso wants to play more games, Husso wants to a new club.

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
The head coach needs to keep Kane at least one more year because Detroit will go far in the playoffs next year.

Detroit is definitely a playoff team next season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Werenski Seider
Chiarot Maatta
Edvinsson Petry
Cat Larkin Kane
Danielson Compher Tarasenko
Rasmussen Copp Berggren
Mazur Motte Fischer
Traded Raymond + AJo for Werenski, got Seider mentor and Larkin buddy

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Werenski Seider
Chiarot Maatta
Edvinsson Petry
Cat Larkin Kane
Danielson Compher Tarasenko
Rasmussen Copp Berggren
Mazur Motte Fischer
Traded Raymond + AJo for Werenski, got Seider mentor and Larkin buddy
0% chance they trade Raymond lol

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Tarasenko - Danielson - Kane
Rasmussen - J.T Compher - Berggren
Motte - Copp - Fischer

Gustavsson - Seider
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Maatta - Johansson
Holl and petry banished to the shadow realm

Talbot/Lyon
Husso LTIR inevitably

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ewww no way I’m moving Raymond for werenski
Let's wait and see about Raymond new contact

0% chance they trade Raymond lol

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Tarasenko - Danielson - Kane
Rasmussen - J.T Compher - Berggren
Motte - Copp - Fischer

Chiarot (ew) - Seider
Edvinsson - Gustavsson
Maatta - Johansson
Holl

Talbot/Lyon
Husso LTIR inevitably
Same percentage about Danielson second line center next season but who knows.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The head coach needs to keep Kane at least one more year because Detroit will go far in the playoffs next year.

Detroit is definitely a playoff team next season.
I don't know about playoffs, but I know Kane is the best American ever and I like kids learning from him. Maybe Raymond and Kane on the same line

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Debrincat-Larkin-Kane
Tank-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen - Kasper -Fisher
Motte - Copp- Berggren

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson -Gus
Maatta - Petry

I think Ray may be able to carry his own lines this year and Kasper needs to center the 3rd line

Reactions: lilidk

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Another one I thought of with danielson making the team

Rass-Larkin-Kane
Berggren-Compher-Raymond
Cat- Danielson- Tank
Motte-Copp-Fischer
Veleno

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Husso in a transfer from the squad and already signed Campbell replaces, I think Husso is a reserve, I think Husso wants to play more games, Husso wants to a new club.
Yeah, and I want to marry Taylor Swift. What Husso wants doesn't matter, because he's overpaid and no team wants him. Just like Taylor Swift doesn't want me.

Husso, Holl, and Copp would all clear waivers if cut from the roster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
DeBrincat and Kane indeed have chemistry, but they they defer to each other way too much and try to force stuff between the two of them, rather than using whoever the 3rd forward is on their line. I think that made their chemistry mean much less because of the forcing things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad