Line Combos: Lines you expect to see vs what you want to see

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Can Kane play his off wing? I've read a lot that Tank does not look good at LW from Florida fans. I'd like Tank and Kane to play together but I also don't want to force someone on the left side if they can't play it.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Kane-Compher-Tank or Berggy-Compher-Kane
Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Tank or Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Berggy
Motte-Copp-Fisher

I'd also consider
DBC-Larkin-Tank
Ray-Compher-Kane
Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Berggy
Motte-Copp Fisher

I just really don't want Kane and DBC together outside of the PP.

I'm holding out on defensing pairings in hopes Stevie makes another move. Right now none of the pairs outside of the 3rd would make me happy.

Reactions: flychairman

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Can Kane play his off wing? I've read a lot that Tank does not look good at LW from Florida fans. I'd like Tank and Kane to play together but I also don't want to force someone on the left side if they can't play it.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Kane-Compher-Tank or Berggy-Compher-Kane
Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Tank or Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Berggy
Motte-Copp-Fisher

I'd also consider
DBC-Larkin-Tank
Ray-Compher-Kane
Ras-Kasper/Danielson-Berggy
Motte-Copp Fisher

I just really don't want Kane and DBC together outside of the PP.

I'm holding out on defensing pairings in hopes Stevie makes another move. Right now none of the pairs outside of the 3rd would make me happy.
No. Unless I'm missing something, barring extra skater type situations, Raymond, Kane, Tarasenko exclusively play the right side. Like Ray doesn't even swap sides for the PP (unless he's netfront and chilling at the backpost), which is weird IMO.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think all our Top 6 Wingers are going to end up playing offwing:

Debrincat - Larkin - Kane
Raymond - Compher - Tarasenko

I'd like to see the return of the Burger Copp along with Ras, who had his offensive breakout on this line and on Copp's wing

Berggren - Copp - Rasmussen
Motte - Veleno - Fisher

Depending on who we add - either a LHD or RHD (I'll use Theodore and Trouba as placeholders here, and assume Mattaa will bet he easiest D to move off given his 1x 3M and no clause):

Theodore - Seider
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Johansson - Gustafsson

OR

Gustafsson - Seider
Edvinsson - Trouba
Johansson - Petry/Holl

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Raymond-Larkin-Tarasenko
DeBrincat-Compher-Kane
Rasmussen-Copp-Berggren
Motte-Veleno-Fischer
Kasper & Mazur up at some point

Edvinsson-Seider
Chiarot- UPGRADE
Maatta-Gustafsson
Johansson-Holl/Petry

I still think its crucial we find a top 4 D somehow, and then we can boot Holl and/or Petry to Jupiter

PP lines
Raymond-Larkin-Kane
Seider-DeBrincat

Compher-Rasmussen-Berggren
Gustafsson-Tarasenko

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm just going to put what I think is the best 23 man combo. No idea what will happen in reality. Part of this is based on Tarasenko being best at RW, part is based on Yzerman saying both Albert Johansson and Erik Gustafsson can play on the right side.

Cat - Larkin - Ray
Berggren - Compher - Kane
Rasmussen - Copp -Tarasenko
Mazur - Kasper - Motte
Fischer

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - AlJo
Määtta - Gustafsson
Petry

Talbot
Husso
Lyon

• I've heard nothing about Joe Veleno, so I'm not sure what the future holds for him.
  • Lagesson and Campbell feel like GR signings who can be called up as depth if necessary.
  • My guess is they waive Holl. They already got rid of Walman who was sitting in the press box, tough to see them carry Holl at that salary if he's going to be in the stands.
  • They could hold on to Holl if they only want to carry 2 goalies. It could be the goalie who loses out gets moved/waived. It just seems like we want depth here after goaltending cost them the playoff spot last season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d love to see Kasper or Danielson make the team, but I have a hard time seeing it.

I think the top 9 is pretty set with Larkin, Raymond, DeBrincat, Kane, Tarasenko, Compher, Copp, Rasmussen, Berggren.

I would only put them on the team if it’s in a top 9 role, you don’t want them playing 9-12 minutes on the 4th line (my opinion). Instead I expect they will be the first call-ups if/when someone gets hurt from the top 9.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’d love to see Kasper or Danielson make the team, but I have a hard time seeing it.

I think the top 9 is pretty set with Larkin, Raymond, DeBrincat, Kane, Tarasenko, Compher, Copp, Rasmussen, Berggren.

I would only put them on the team if it’s in a top 9 role, you don’t want them playing 9-12 minutes on the 4th line (my opinion). Instead I expect they will be the first call-ups if/when someone gets hurt from the top 9.
Yeah, barring something like a major injury plus an amazing training camp from a different kid, I'm pretty sure Steve is committed to three young players up. But only three. Edvinsson, Johansson, Berggren.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Preface:
1) Rasmussen isn't a top 6 player in the AHL.
2) Someone else said it, but I don't like Cat and Kane together. It gets too fancy and Cat defers to Kane too often.

Cat-Larkin-Raymond
Tank- Compher-Kane
Ras-DANIELSON-Berggren
Motte-Copp- Fischer
Veleno

Edvinsson-Seider
Chiarot-Gus
Maata -AlJo
Petry

Talbot
Lyon

I offer no alternatives because What I want and what I expect are the same thing. It's how I walk through life, which explains the bitterness. LOL

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Why is everyone penciling Motte in for a spot automatically?

He's small, 29, on a league minimum deal and had 6 goals and 9 points. Motte is there as a 13th/14th forward that will probably get waived and sent to Grand Rapids.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'd like to see if we can reignite Copp a bit to start. He had chemistry with Kane in NY. Obviously if it's not working out we pivot away from it.
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Copp - Compher - Kane
Berggren - Danielson/Kasper - Tarasenko
Rasmussen - Veleno - Fischer/Motte

Why is everyone penciling Motte in for a spot automatically?

He's small, 29, on a league minimum deal and had 6 goals and 9 points. Motte is there as a 13th/14th forward that will probably get waived and sent to Grand Rapids.
Motte is a great grinder/defensive forward and hasn't played in the AHL since 2017. He's an NHL player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'd like to see if we can reignite Copp a bit to start. He had chemistry with Kane in NY. Obviously if it's not working out we pivot away from it.
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Copp - Compher - Kane
Berggren - Danielson/Kasper - Tarasenko
Rasmussen - Veleno - Fischer/Motte

Motte is a great grinder/defensive forward and hasn't played in the AHL since 2017. He's an NHL player.

He's an offensive black hole. I'd rather use that spot for a kid and let someone new learn how to PK like Veleno.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He's an offensive black hole. I'd rather use that spot for a kid and let someone new learn how to PK like Veleno.
If it's something we could quantify I'd make a profile picture bet you'll come around on Motte like you did with Fischer last year. Lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Motte and Fischer are your 4th line wingers.

Berggren and Ras are your 3rd line wingers.

Raymond, DeBrincat, Kane, Tarasenko are your top 6 wingers.

That’s my guess, and that’s fine by me. I think Raymond will play some LW this year, might even help him score more.

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

That’s my guess, and that’s fine by me. I think Raymond will play some LW this year, might even help him score more.

Yup, that's pretty much it. It's pretty clear that is exactly what this and will remain this way if and when Danielson, Kasper, Mazer, Lombardi, or Nygard make it NOT that. Fill hole with veteran on deal, wait till prospect is ready and slot them in. Rinse repeat

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
All these lineups still have the same problem.

Who is going to win puck battles?

Who is going to the front of the net to create havoc?

You have a small, soft group of forwards that plays on the perimeter. They'll still be too reliant on the powerplay to save them. I like Tarasenko more than Perron but the latter was better at actually grinding puck battles.

Also, if Larkin gets injured again, they're screwed. They don't have anyone else who can remotely resemble a top caliber center.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If Danielsen can find a way to make this team I love the possibilities up front.

Veleno-Larkin-Ray
Cat-Danielsen-Kane
Berggren-compher-tank
Rass-Copp-Fischer/motte

I’ve liked Veleno up with those 2 in the past he can skate with them, and this would be the hope he could potentially break out as I do still see potential with him. Rass could also easily go there as well if Veleno isn’t working out. The one guy I would potentially like to see go there and it’s probably not a popular choice for the fanbase would be Copp. I just know how good he was in NY with panarin on the wing instead of in the middle (could this maybe unlock is goal scoring where he could net 25ish). That would move veleno down to 4C or even use Fischer is 4C as he has some ability although I still prefer him on wing.

I think the Cat-Danielsen-Kane line could work very well trying to get them out for o-zone starts and trying to hunt bottom pair/bottom 6 matchups. Danielsen is a pretty responsible guy and also would add pace and decent size to that line (obviously cat can’t keep deferring to kane as much as he did at times last year)

I really like the idea of berggren and tank together as Berggren is a very high IQ player and very good playmaker that can set up obviously a lethal shooter in tank. Tank adds some size to that line as well, Compher is a good piece to center them as he is very good defensively while still having enough offense to provide some with them

D-core I’m just praying we can add a top 4 RD (trouba, larrson,etc) to play with Ed. Would very much like the look of

Chiarot/Johanssen-Seider
Ed-Top 4 RD
Gus-Chiarot/johanssen

Obviously would be moving out 2/3 of Mattaa, Petry, Holl in this case.

Just my thoughts as I could see Danielsen unlocking a lot of potential for this lineup

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

As a right handed shooter myself, I always enjoyed playing LW over RW. Felt like I could get better angles to shoot from.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Danielsen can find a way to make this team I love the possibilities up front.

Veleno-Larkin-Ray
Cat-Danielsen-Kane
Berggren-compher-tank
Rass-Copp-Fischer/motte

I’ve liked Veleno up with those 2 in the past he can skate with them, and this would be the hope he could potentially break out as I do still see potential with him. Rass could also easily go there as well if Veleno isn’t working out. The one guy I would potentially like to see go there and it’s probably not a popular choice for the fanbase would be Copp. I just know how good he was in NY with panarin on the wing instead of in the middle (could this maybe unlock is goal scoring where he could net 25ish). That would move veleno down to 4C or even use Fischer is 4C as he has some ability although I still prefer him on wing.

I think the Cat-Danielsen-Kane line could work very well trying to get them out for o-zone starts and trying to hunt bottom pair/bottom 6 matchups. Danielsen is a pretty responsible guy and also would add pace and decent size to that line (obviously cat can’t keep deferring to kane as much as he did at times last year)

I really like the idea of berggren and tank together as Berggren is a very high IQ player and very good playmaker that can set up obviously a lethal shooter in tank. Tank adds some size to that line as well, Compher is a good piece to center them as he is very good defensively while still having enough offense to provide some with them

D-core I’m just praying we can add a top 4 RD (trouba, larrson,etc) to play with Ed. Would very much like the look of

Chiarot/Johanssen-Seider
Ed-Top 4 RD
Gus-Chiarot/johanssen

Obviously would be moving out 2/3 of Mattaa, Petry, Holl in this case.

Just my thoughts as I could see Danielsen unlocking a lot of potential for this lineup
Veleno on the first line?!

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don't think DeBrincat's numbers will improve like Yzerman expects from the presser if Veleno is pushing him off the first line.
I mean I guess I’m looking at totality of the group. Larkin and Raymond can drive a line together, Kane and cat can as well. I’m afraid if we go cat-Larkin-Raymond who is Kane gonna play with especially if tank isn’t comfortable on the left side. That’s why I like a support player (Veleno,Rass,Copp,etc) someone other than our top 6 guys so that we can balance top 3 lines

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
The reality is I just don’t think this team is good enough to make the playoffs. They aren’t physical enough and too weak in net front and along the boards and aren’t dynamic enough offensively to make up for it. What we should be doing is bringing rookies up. I won’t like it but I will accept a worse year than last year if we play a lot of rookies, if we bury rookies in GR again however and also take a big step back I’ll be livid. Also black hole contracts like copp and holl are undoubtedly holding this team up at the moment and have us sort of stuck in limbo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad