Line Combos: Lines 15/16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd say... 20pts?
Meh 20 is a bit low. I'd say 25-30 points is more realistic for the season opener against the Oilers.

For the whole season I'm guessing around 150 but that's if he struggles a bit. If he's 100% NHL ready then it could be higher, we'll see.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Meh 20 is a bit low. I'd say 25-30 points is more realistic for the season opener against the Oilers.

For the whole season I'm guessing around 150 but that's if he struggles a bit. If he's 100% NHL ready then it could be higher, we'll see.

Excuse me, but Parayko is no less than 150% ready for the NHL. You need to stop tempering your expectations.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I only caught the final pre-season game online and of course watched all of the highlights, but man Parayko looks like he has an absolute cannon of a slap shot, one that should be dangerous every time he winds up and fires, that has been a much needed element that's been missing on the Blues for awhile now. I hope his shot accuracy is good as well.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Three rookies make the roster. OK, I'm starting to warm up my enthusiasm. Its going to look different, and from what I've seen of the pre-season games the style IS different. I think Hitchcock coming back is defensible if we see young guys get responsibility as they earn it, and a more aggressive style.

I think when Hitchcock said, "Reckless" he meant "Parayko".

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No no no....the sky is still falling. Don't get sucked into being optimistic. Rational thinking wasn't permissible in Aug/Sept, it's not ok now.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
if it were up to me it'd be

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Lehtera-Fabbri
Jaskin-Backes-Brouwer
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko

wouldn't mind swapping Fabbri and Jaskin though

I have to point out the fact that Edmundson-Shattenkirk (EdKirk) leaves me wanting, in their own zone. I saw the two of them make several gaffes, at least one of which ended up with the puck in the back of our net against Chicago's farm hands. Neither is great defensively, together it's compounded. I'd be a lot more comfortable with:

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko

I'm honestly quite surprised Edmundson beat out Lindbohm but, as someone else mentioned, I fully expect to see Lindbohm back up in short order, filling a Gunnar injury or an Edmundson demotion. It's good to have the depth, notwithstanding.

The forward lines appear to have zero weak links, barring a couple injuries. Now that's something I can't remember having thought since the 2000-2001 season. Amazing!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Which goal? The 2nd one? Because that was the dynamic duo of Boumeester and Pietrangelo. Rattie lost his guy.

That first goal was all Jake regardless of the defense going brain dead

Last edited by a moderator:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I have to point out the fact that Edmundson-Shattenkirk (EdKirk) leaves me wanting, in their own zone. I saw the two of them make several gaffes, at least one of which ended up with the puck in the back of our net against Chicago's farm hands. Neither is great defensively, together it's compounded. I'd be a lot more comfortable with:

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko

I'm honestly quite surprised Edmundson beat out Lindbohm but, as someone else mentioned, I fully expect to see Lindbohm back up in short order, filling a Gunnar injury or an Edmundson demotion. It's good to have the depth, notwithstanding.

The forward lines appear to have zero weak links, barring a couple injuries. Now that's something I can't remember having thought since the 2000-2001 season. Amazing!

See how they look in the regular season and give them 10 or so games before you judge. The Blues really shouldn't be in any danger of missing the playoffs, it's all about the product they take into the post-season. So focus more on "what could this look like later this year?" and "is this better than two weeks ago?" than how a rookie looked with a new partner in the preseason. There are going to be hiccups. I'm going to emphasize that as much as possible: the new players and the new approach is not always going to be smooth. It's about working out those hiccups while winning. If those hiccups are bad enough that they don't win, then they'll change things up and we'll have to evaluate those different players/pairings/lines, too.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Which goal? The 2nd one? Because that was the dynamic duo of Boumeester and Pietrangelo. Rattie lost his guy.

That first goal was all Jake regardless of the defense going brain dead

Yes, the brain deaths of Shatty and Eddy were directly responsible for that goal. I wager that Jake was so mystified by the defensive cluster***** that he too laid a brain turd. Allen did the splits thinking Rasmussen was going low but got beat high, so yeah, it was his gaffe as well.

I also witnessed enough positioning/awareness errors by both of them to make me cringe. I fully expect that pairing to be in the minus category before Christmas if Shatty hasn't put up ridiculous 5 vs 5 numbers to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes, the brain deaths of Shatty and Eddy were directly responsible for that goal. I wager that Jake was so mystified by the defensive cluster***** that he too laid a brain turd. Allen did the splits thinking Rasmussen was going low but got beat high, so yeah, it was his gaffe as well.

I also witnessed enough positioning/awareness errors by both of them to make me cringe. I fully expect that pairing to be in the minus category before Christmas if Shatty hasn't put up ridiculous 5 vs 5 numbers to compensate.
I'll cue it up and watch it again...I was just too blown away by Allen to notice anything else... that never can go in. He's known for those short side gaffs.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I saw a few miscues that stuck out...
They will happen. I distinctly remember Parayko abandoning the front of the net right as his partner went to pass him the puck, he curled around the back. Wasn't a big deal as the zone was empty.

It's just that....eh it's preseason situation but need to keep an eye on it

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko

Wait you're not comfortable with Edmundson's defensive play in a sheltered role with Shattenkirk so you want to put him with Pietrangelo? On the top pairing, facing the hardest competition?

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Wait you're not comfortable with Edmundson's defensive play in a sheltered role with Shattenkirk so you want to put him with Pietrangelo? On the top pairing, facing the hardest competition?

It's not my preference but it's the best I could see fit to roll given the pieces. I'm just not sure how much more sheltered Shatty's pairing is compared to Petro's. At least Petro will shelter Eddy in their own end, whereas EdKirk is up a creek together. This is why I thought the pairing of Lindbohm-Petro worked pretty well together in the preseason.

I don't know, Hitch or Shaw must have seen something I didn't. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here but only as long as they stay in plus territory (which shouldn't be too difficult for Shatty).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's not my preference but it's the best I could see fit to roll given the pieces. I'm just not sure how much more sheltered Shatty's pairing is compared to Petro's. At least Petro will shelter Eddy in their own end, whereas EdKirk is up a creek together. This is why I thought the pairing of Lindbohm-Petro worked pretty well together in the preseason.

I don't know, Hitch or Shaw must have seen something I didn't. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here but only as long as they stay in plus territory (which shouldn't be too difficult for Shatty).

Pietrangelo plays some of the hardest minutes in the entire league and starts the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone. Shattenkirk starts the majority in the in the offensive zone. Shattenkirk is massively more sheltered than Pietrangelo and it's not really close.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Pietrangelo plays some of the hardest minutes in the entire league and starts the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone. Shattenkirk starts the majority in the in the offensive zone. Shattenkirk is massively more sheltered than Pietrangelo and it's not really close.

Be that as it may, that's the second pairing and they still have to play defense during the hockey game. Why put two defensively weak D men together if you don't have to? I'll reserve judgement for now but those two had better get on the same page quick or I won't be the only one raising alarm bells.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad