Speculation: Line-ups based on the players we HAVE NOW.

hizzat

Mar 28, 2014
schenn - giroux -voracek
raffl - laughton - simmonds
read - couturier - umberger
bellemare - lecavelier - akeson

Coburn Timonen
MacD Schenn
Streit Grossmann

Mason
Someone with hip issues

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Umberger - Lecavalier - Raffl
Bellemare - Laughton - Alderson
Rinaldo

Timonen - Coburn
Grossmann - Streit
MacDonald - Schenn
Schultz

Mason
Emery

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Do you think Akeson would be claimed if he was waived?

I'd be totally shocked if he wasn't claimed. I'm sure people took notice of him as a potential NHLer after his series against the Rangers. Teams won't be falling over themselves to get him, but somebody will have room on their NHL roster to put a claim in. Nothing to lose.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Do you think Akeson would be claimed if he was waived?

Possibly but I think Hextall would explore trade options first just to get something back even if it's not a whole lot. He made mention during the Town Hall thing that he traded McGinn because he wasn't sure if he would fit & didn't want to lose him on waivers for nothing. He also said he would possibly have to do the same thing with another player before the season who I assume is Akeson.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
At $575k it would be a steal... Why would you waive? He's not against the cap if he's in the AHL
Just curious.

If he's not in the top 13 or 14 forwards then they're going to have to waive him.

I would waive Rosehill or Rinaldo first, but i don't know if the Flyers would.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Perhaps I am confused. I thought that for Akeson to be sent down to the AHL, whether that happens at the end of training camp or some time during the season, he would have to go on waivers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would do that, sure. But last year the Flyers kept Rosehill up and sent Hall down at the end of camp because they were worried some team would claim Rosehill.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I would do that, sure. But last year the Flyers kept Rosehill up and sent Hall down at the end of camp because they were worried some team would claim Rosehill.

Different GM now. No more gooning **** up (I think).

Rosehill is also aproaching UFA status...no loss here

Exactly. No loss really. I'd rather have Newbury up than Rosehill.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

I don't know if I remember it correctly but wasn't it more like they were not impressed by Hall in camp with VandeVelde and Raffl suddenly in the mix and they wanted to do him a favour by possibly getting him a new team via Waivers?

As far as Akeson is concerned, it's a win-win situation: he signed for super-cheap leaving money on the table but he will most likely be on the opening night roster. Even if he does not impress, they can always afford him as a spare forward.
The whole Waiver situation definitely had an influence on some pre-season moves like the Akeson signing and Tye McGinn trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know if I remember it correctly but wasn't it more like they were not impressed by Hall in camp with VandeVelde and Raffl suddenly in the mix and they wanted to do him a favour by possibly getting him a new team via Waivers?

That wasn't it. Hall was ahead of VdV and Raffl on the depth chart at the start of the season, and remained ahead of VdV the whole season, playing 80 games.

The Flyers just thought he was less likely to be claimed on wiavers than Rosehill.

gtflyers

Jun 30, 2014
I think Read should get a shot on a scoring line and Umby can take his spot on the checking line. Him or Simmer has to move to LW. We need to roll 4 lines and get more scoring in 2-4 to take focus off of G, as seen in the Rags series.

Last edited:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I think Read should get a shot on a scoring line and Umby can take his spot on the checking line. Him or Simmer has to move to LW. We need to roll 4 lines and get more scoring in 2-4 to take focus off of G, as seen in the Rags series.

So then put Simmonds with G and Voracek?

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I would do

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek (Giroux and Voracek set Schenn up for quick one timers, Schenn is also good at garbage goals)
Read-Couturier-Simmonds (Simmonds can play the role Downie played when he first got here and probably with more success)
Umberger-Lecavalier-Raffl (Umberger and Raffl cover for Vinny on the defensive side while not being black holes offensively)
Bellemare-Laughton-Someone who has actual skill (hopefully a line that can play some solid defensive minutes with offensive upside)

on defense I see Berube sticking to having one PMD with each defensive d-man and also switching up the pairings depending on the situation. But as a base I see them rolling with the same:

Timonen-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
It just makes it confusing to look at.

Luke Schenn will always play the right side. Coburn and Streit played the right side last year. This needs to be kept in mind when making D pairings. Grossmann is bad enough at handling the puck on the left, so no one should pencil him to play the right side of a pairing.

Schenn-G-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Raffl
Bellemare-Laughton-Rinaldo

Kimmo-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn

This is the most accurate one IMO. Other people have posted very similar line-ups in here as well.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
What I want:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-Raffl
Bellemare-Laughton-Anyone other than Rinaldo

Macdonald-Coburn
Grossman-Streit
Timonen-Schenn

Mason
Emery

What I Expect:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Goons-More Goons-All the Goons

Timonen-Coburn
Macdonald-Streit
Grossman-Schenn

Mason
Emery

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Glad to see the Umberger-Lecavalier-Raffl line is starting to catch on. I really think that's the best combo for him. He was firing when playing with Hall and Rinaldo. His whole career, he's been a guy who needs space to do his thing. We shouldn't concern ourselves too much with giving him a skilled player like Voracek, Giroux, or even Akeson to make him work.

I agree with Rage Kage above, though. Something tells me Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds will be mashed together again to form the Line of Misfit Toys.

Evergreen

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Akeson
Umberger - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Bellemare - Raffl - Rinaldo/Jones
Rosehill

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Akeson/Couts/Read
Umberger/Lecavalier/Simmonds