Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The structure of those deals also included limited bonuses which would lower the actual cap it. I'm not going to criticize Pegula for not matching Toronto's salary structures which are pretty costly and a major strain on cash flow. But looks at Auston Matthews last deal. Just insane. Dude gets $16.7 M in first year. Even better, $15.9 M is paid on July 1.

Beyond being buyout proof, these July 1 payments make the contracts worth a few hundred thousand dollars more because of the time value of money where you can invest money at 5% in guaranteed income certificates.

Ultimately, they cost the franchise more but they manipulate the cap and create an advantage where you are effectively paying someone more.

Dahlin's contract is slightly frontloaded at $13 M this year but he has one signing bonus of $5 M on July 1 in 2024-25 and then nothing.

Cozens and Thompson also do not have heavily front-loaded contracts or bonuses.

Have I said before, I won't criticize Pegula on this stuff because they are major costs for a team in a smaller market than a place like Toronto.

But it is an absolute falsehood to say Sabres are using every advantage under the cap. They are not. It isn't huge, but every inch matters and the reality is a team like Toronto can get maybe a 5% advantage under the cap.

Even if it is not Pegula, I don't think any owner in a smaller market will do stuff like Leafs.

And to be clear. Not just the Leafs. Rangers did a similar thing with the Panarin contract. I do think Toronto is a leader in contracts like this.
So Pegula is intentionally not letting Adams spend money, I'm not sure about that. Kevyn also had a slow plan and he is not the most experienced GM, who seems very cautious and not proactive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad