Line Combos: Likely lineup for next season w/salary cap

mikebel111*

Keep trying to put Peter Holland in the lineup all you like. He's not making the team.

You should probably get ready to eat some crow
Unless he has a brutal camp, he will be on the team.
Better option than Bodie!

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Might as well try Kadri on the top line next year. I doubt our current group takes us very far. See if he's worth the big bucks he'll be demanding on his next deal or not.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Bozak Santoreli/Frattin
Komorov Kontiola Clarkson
Ashton Holland Santorelli/Frattin

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
JVR- Bozak- Kessel
Lupul- Kadri- Santorelli
Ashton- Holland- Clarkson
Komorov-Kontiola- Frattin
Bodie

Phaneuf- Robidas
Gardiner- Polak
Rielly- Franson

Bernier
Riemer

BLUEnWHITE4LIFE

Jun 27, 2014
Barrie
From what I've seen and from what I've read Petri Kontinola is a pretty great talent. He's basically playing for 500Gs and wants to prove himself. It wouldn't suprise me if he bumps Bozak or Kadri , or if one gets injured.
A lot of Fins are saying he's a 2C or even a 1C. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see

JvR - KONTIOLA - Kessel
Lupal - Bozie/Kadri-Nylander
Komorov - Bozie/Kadri -clarkson
Aston/bodie-holland-santo/Frattin

Kessel would prob throw a fit lol. But I do like how the Cs could possibly be fighting for their lines, would bring up the compete level for sure IMHO

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
From what I've seen and from what I've read Petri Kontinola is a pretty great talent

He is a great talent. he averaged 0.7 PPG in a defensive minded KHL, (175 points in 258 games) plus, IIRC he played for the Hawks in 08 and recorded 6 assists in 12 games. His # in the AHL were not too shabby either.

The 1 knock on him though is his Hockey IQ with the puck in his own end.... and with the Leafs, it could be REALLY noticeable. But overall, I am really excited to see what he can do.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kontiola - Santorelli
Komarov - Kadri - Clarkson
Ashton - Holland - Frattin
Bodie

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Granberg
Gardiner - Polak
Holzer

Bernier
Brodeur

Assuming Brodeur signs for $2.5M, there will be about $5.5M in cap space.

Last edited:

roto

Oct 26, 2009
I think this Kontiola deal is very good for Leafs. It's much better than signing one of those UFAs guaranteed to be traditional 3rd liners with some >$3M salary. Kontiola is almost free (=basically no risk) and he's used to take responsibility, play with the puck and produce. It's different to play in lower lines in NHL when compared to leading your team (also NT) as playmaker.

Eventhough there's risk that Kontiola has difficulties in translating his game to small ice (like Granlund had), I still think that with that price (for one year contract) the risk/reward ratio is very good. When compared to Granlund (in 2012-2013) he is bigger and stronger, but he likes puck as much and it might take some time for him to get used NA style of hockey where you have less space and time than in big rink.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kontiola - Santorelli
Komarov - Kadri - Clarkson
Bodie

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Granberg
Gardiner - Polak
Holzer

Bernier
Brodeur

I like how it looks but I would switch Frattin and Clarkson because Kadri has had good chemistry with Frattin in the past and didn't do well with Clarkson on his line last year.

Clarkson could fit well with Holland and Bodie/Ashton in terms of playing style (puck possession type game) playing on the 4th line.

EDIT: I don't see Reimer getting moved though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Anyone else want ranger back? I'd prefer him over franson, myself.

Phaneuf polak
Gardiner robidas
Rielly granberg/ranger

I think the guy could surprise, granted he'd need to lose at least 10lbs.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I like how it looks but I would switch Frattin and Clarkson because Kadri has had good chemistry with Frattin in the past and didn't do well with Clarkson on his line last year.

Clarkson could fit well with Holland and Bodie/Ashton in terms of playing style (puck possession type game) playing on the 4th line.

EDIT: I don't see Reimer getting moved though.

Shanahan and Nonis are not going to put James Reimer through something reminiscent to the Luongo situation.

My belief is that Nonis is waiting for a 2nd round pick or a young forward of equal value and are likely being offered a 3rd round pick. If that is the case, I would like for them to just make the trade and give Reimer an opportunity elsewhere. Avoiding the media scrutiny of a Reimer return in September is possibly more valuable than picking 30 picks higher in the draft.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Im still questioning who is playing as our 2nd line Winger?

Clarkson is a 3rd liner at best, who can play 2W? Santorelli? but wouldnt that mean Petri at 3C?

still a question mark for me at this point, as well as the 2D slot, that spot is a bit iffy.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kontiola - Kadri
Komorov - Santorelli - Clarkson
Bodie

How about this ? Kadri plays wing cause he has been successful there before, Kontiola centres that line which is pretty skilled Santorelli plays 3rd line C and Clarkson stays on the 3rd line like he should, and Holland plays 4th line C and Frattin adds punch there

mikebel111*

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kontiola - Kadri
Komorov - Santorelli - Clarkson
Bodie

How about this ? Kadri plays wing cause he has been successful there before, Kontiola centres that line which is pretty skilled Santorelli plays 3rd line C and Clarkson stays on the 3rd line like he should, and Holland plays 4th line C and Frattin adds punch there

no he hasn't.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
You should probably get ready to eat some crow
Unless he has a brutal camp, he will be on the team.
Better option than Bodie!

I too have some doubts about Holland. Not sure what it is. He just seems to lack fire and fails to play with an edge.

Maybe it is because I keep seeing people put him in the bottom 6 which doesn't seem to suit his game because he is not very physical.

He strikes me as more of a top 6 guy but there isn't any room for him at the top of our lineup.

That is why I think he might not succeed this season. Oh yeah Randy doesn't seem to trust him either. I remember seeing him ride the bench late in games.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
no he hasn't.

I assure you Kadri has, he did for London more than once and he did it for the leafs on LW for 21 games in 2012.
Kadri can lineup on all forward positions, there have been deiscusuons switching him to wing before so don't tell me that he never has

BLUEnWHITE4LIFE

Jun 27, 2014
Barrie
E.Kane-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Nylander-Lupal
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson
Ashton-Holland-Santorelli
Bodie/Leivo

Phaneuf -Del Zotto
Gardiner-Robidas
Reilly-Polak
Granberg

Bernier
Brodeur

Trade Kadri Riemer Franson for Kane and a pick or prospect

Only have $572,000 In cap space though

Last edited:

mikebel111*

I assure you Kadri has, he did for London more than once and he did it for the leafs on LW for 21 games in 2012.
Kadri can lineup on all forward positions, there have been deiscusuons switching him to wing before so don't tell me that he never has

What discussions? The ones on this board? There is a reason Randy moved him to C as he said Kadri is a much better C than winger.
Kadri is staying at C for now and that is the best option.
Kadri is also doing well at C now so that makes that good at wing point moot

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I think people are going a little overboard with Kontiola being on the second line C (I even saw someone have him as the first line C!) And Nylander being on a line atall.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson/Santorelli
Komorov -Kontiola/Holland - Clarkson/Santorelli
Ashton/Bodie - Kontiola/Holland- Frattin

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Granberg
Gardiner - Polak
Holzer

Bernier
Reimer? Some random signing? Not Broduer...

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`m thinking that the best place for Kontiola to start is the 3rd line, with Komarov and Clarkson. If he plays like I hope he will, he will show u guys some magic. He has really slick passes and moves, is good on both ends. If someone can get Clarkson scoring again its Kontiola. He has been the best center on Team Finland the last 2 years. And thats counting Koivu, Koivu, Granlund and the rest. I could bet on Kontiola clinbing the ladder to the top6 in 3 months. Or at least he should get 1PP-time if you are gonna roll 3 scoring lines. U got this guy for free.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would start the season with the following lineup and make adjustments as necessary...

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson
Ashton-Santorelli-Bodie

Holland, Leivo, Orr

Phaneuf-Robidas
Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Franson

Percy, Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

Ad