Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Slater Koekkoek to 3 year ELC

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Congrats I guess! Odd timing but I suppose this will give him a boost following his injury.

Could be signed now for just that, a boost. I thought they'd wait a year to see how his shoulder does, but I guess you never want to give up that easily on a 10th overall pick.

https://twitter.com/BoltProspects
I thought they would wait 1 more year (which they have b4 deadline) on Koekkoek to ensure no health issues. Yzerman proving loyal to 1sts.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Will he be eligible for the AHL next year or is it another year of juniors for him?

He's got 1 more year in the OHL before he's eligible, but he could be assigned to the Crunch at the end of next season at the earliest once the Spitfires are done.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He'll be on the slide rule so the contract won't be on the books, is a bit weird on why now. Dr must like the results of surgery and how the recovery is going.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He'll be on the slide rule so the contract won't be on the books, is a bit weird on why now. Dr must like the results of surgery and how the recovery is going.

That's what I was thinking too. His recovery must be looking good for Yzerman to suddenly sign him out of the blue.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Ok, I've been following sports for some time now, but I still don't understand how this works.

We draft a kid. But he isn't our property until we sign him. So, what's the point of the draft if you can just sign someone?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ok, I've been following sports for some time now, but I still don't understand how this works.

We draft a kid. But he isn't our property until we sign him. So, what's the point of the draft if you can just sign someone?

He was our property, I believe you have 3 years from when they are drafted to sign them. That goes for north americans or players playing in NA. If they choose to go to college we own their rights till they graduate. Europeans you own their rights for 4 years from time they were drafted. If a player doesn't get drafted they can reenter the draft the next year and if they go undrafted again then they are free to sign with any team.
I may not be 100% on all that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He was our property, I believe you have 3 years from when they are drafted to sign them. That goes for north americans or players playing in NA. If they choose to go to college we own their rights till they graduate. Europeans you own their rights for 4 years from time they were drafted. If a player doesn't get drafted they can reenter the draft the next year and if they go undrafted again then they are free to sign with any team.

I think it's only 2 years from CHL.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

If it's out of the CHL, you have 2 years. If they go the NCAA route, you have until they finish their college career. If they are drafted out of their European club that is not apart of the IIHF agreement, like from Russia, then there is no time limit. Otherwise I think it's 2 years if using Matias Sointu as an example is correct.

Last edited:

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Sounds like boss news to me. I'm still not convinced he was a better pick than Forsberg but if Stevie's got confidence that's a pretty decent sign. If he's willing to sign long before he has to then that means they're confident he won't bust 'cause isn't there a 2nd round compensation pick we'd get if he didn't sign?

It's kinda odd though when everyone (including BoltsProspects) ranks our 19th pick over 10th pick from the moment they were drafted.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I thought he agreed to come play in the CHL for Mississauga.
He was drafted by them, so he can play for them if he chooses. There's no agreement that he definitely will, but I don't think they would risk a pick if there wasn't interest.
Sounds like boss news to me. I'm still not convinced he was a better pick than Forsberg but if Stevie's got confidence that's a pretty decent sign. If he's willing to sign long before he has to then that means they're confident he won't bust 'cause isn't there a 2nd round compensation pick we'd get if he didn't sign?

It's kinda odd though when everyone (including BoltsProspects) ranks our 19th pick over 10th pick from the moment they were drafted.
Yeah I believe we'd get the 10th pick in the 2nd round if he didn't sign.

I hoped this would be his last season on his contract. Yeah I doubt they let him go till the MHL playoffs are done.

But could he be signed to an ATO contract or something and get games in Syracuse/ECHL?

I believe so. He would need an ATO unless he got an ELC first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad