Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Cam Atkinson | 1 year, $900K AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
His last 3 years with Columbus he had 45, 44, and 23 in 40 games before the trade. He has pretty much been on that 45-50 point trajectory the last 3 seasons, with the exception of the the last 15-20 games this past season. His goal scoring did come down the last two seasons, but he's still producing near the .6 ppg level. He's also only 27, so he has.plenty of good years left. For 2.5-3 million, which is the range I've mostly been seeing, I'd definitely take him over Sheary(whom he'd be replacing in this scenario) at 2 million. If it's a pure goal scorer, then Sprong is likely the best target, but he also has deficiencies. I'd still take him in the 3-3.5 range over what they have there now though.

I'd take a musky cardboard cutout of Steven Stamkos over Sheary.

Assuming Sheary stays, I don't see Bresbois signing another tweener. It's not like it can't happen though

Reactions: ultra63

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'd take a musky cardboard cutout of Steven Stamkos over Sheary.

Assuming Sheary stays, I don't see Bresbois signing another tweener. It's not like it can't happen though
Right, any acquisition of a player like Tarasenko, Sprong or Roslovic 100% requirss having Sheary off the team before the season starts. If not, the best Tampa could so would be to add someone in the 1-1.5 range depending on Moser's number.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Left circle (Stamkos spot).

The first four goals in this video are all from there (and more examples if you keep watching)

That's interesting. Not sure if Philly tried him there or not, but I watched his +20 goal season and I think there was one from that area. He's good in tight and on the rush. Also have to note that this video is from seven years ago. In hockey terms, that's quite some time if you aren't upper echelon.

I still think he gets a brief look there myself. It's easier to plug in someone and see if there's magic than move all four guys, reverse the PP or change it. In the end, those passes Stamkos connected on aren't ones Atkinson will. Kucherov is going to adjust to Atkinson in order to make it work.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That's interesting. Not sure if Philly tried him there or not, but I watched his +20 goal season and I think there was one from that area. He's good in tight and on the rush. Also have to note that this video is from seven years ago. In hockey terms, that's quite some time if you aren't upper echelon.

I still think he gets a brief look there myself. It's easier to plug in someone and see if there's magic than move all four guys, reverse the PP or change it. In the end, those passes Stamkos connected on aren't ones Atkinson will. Kucherov is going to adjust to Atkinson in order to make it work.
Atkinson doesn't seem to be getting as much PP time as he used to, which has resulted in fewer goals. 2016-17 was his peak in PPG.

He's not a guy who breaks the puck in half with his shot, which may work in our favor. If he can still move and stick handle, then he might be an accuracy shooter.

There's really just a lack of PP options right now, if we want to keep everyone in their most familiar spots.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yep this sucks and we had the cap space this year to finally address it and he signs cam cheap for 900 k ?
Atkinson is a great signing at $900k. I just want him on the 3rd and 4th lines. We need to acquire someone else for the top 6 and not in return for someone we already have. This whole "we only play with 4 scorers and Cirelli" shit has me at my last nerve

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Atkinson is a great signing at $900k. I just want him on the 3rd and 4th lines. We need to acquire someone else for the top 6 and not in return for someone we already have. This whole "we only play with 4 scorers and Cirelli" shit has me at my last nerve
Hence why we need someone from the prospect pool to come up and step in. Cost controlled productive youth really help playoff teams getting from good to great. We saw it in the past. I don't think it's unreasonable for Goncalves to be Ross Colton level productive.

Need another right shot scoring forward though, agreed

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
At this point it’s clear that Atkinson is just a bargain basement gamble. If he sucks, bury him in the minors and his cap hit is nil. If he’s good, we got an experienced scoring line winger for $1M. If he’s somewhere in between, well, JBB is clearly saving some money for the deadline.

I don’t mind this approach since our top line might be one of the best in hockey. If we essentially have an opening on a scoring line, we can audition any number of options throughout the first half of the season. Atkinson has the best resume. Sheary could still have a bounceback in him. Ylonen is a former 2nd round pick with speed and offensive skills and could be a sleeper to grab that spot. Maybe Geekie or a rookie surprises. Or maybe it’s something JBB handles at the deadline, like he did last season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad