Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Brian Boyle (3 years, $2.0 million AAV)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Well....2 more reasons to cheer for Lightning next year......Cally and Boyle penalty kill oh my.......Boyle is worth a roster spot alone for his penalty kills and key face off wins.....Boyle is not flashy but is big hard worker who uses his size especially in the corners controlling and cycling puck...and also set up Hagelin on several key short handed goals in playoffs....Stralman is a good young defenseman with alot of upside.....As a Ranger fan I hate that we lost them but unfortunetly we have way too many key free agents and we were bound to lose some......

Ranger fan
Cally24Bolts
:yo:

Welcome to the team

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well....2 more reasons to cheer for Lightning next year......Cally and Boyle penalty kill oh my.......Boyle is worth a roster spot alone for his penalty kills and key face off wins.....Boyle is not flashy but is big hard worker who uses his size especially in the corners controlling and cycling puck...and also set up Hagelin on several key short handed goals in playoffs....Stralman is a good young defenseman with alot of upside.....As a Ranger fan I hate that we lost them but unfortunetly we have way too many key free agents and we were bound to lose some......

Gotta root for the Tampa bay Rangers now! Lol

My friend, you have excellent choices in sports teams. I would love all 3 of those outcomes.

Thanks! I think the lightning have the best chance .

MGF0723

Jan 2, 2013
New York, NY
Rangers fan here....your team just picked up two gritty players who you will enjoy watching. I don't want to say much...I'll leave the discussion for you guys to have amongst yourselves but you've picked yourselves up and resigned a few fan favorites.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Keep Boyle on the 4th line where he belongs and he'll be a fan favorite. Very likeable guy and leaves it all on the ice. One of our unsung heroes this season.

But if he's playing anywhere that isn't the 4th line, he will be your new team's whipping boy, instantly. He just does not have the talent to play top 9 minutes. He was very unliked when Torts played him 15 minutes a game, he's just not capable of it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
thanks for this

Obviously both of these guys played great during the playoffs but what was the whole season like for them? Not too far off the playoff performance?

stralman has been an underrated defenseman for a long time. his playoffs were just as good as his regular season. again, not a lot of points, but strong in his own zone, and transitions the puck up the ice very well.

Boyle always elevates his game in the playoffs. he's noticeably...different in the regular season.

not bad...just not.....like he is in the playoffs...everything is just a bit...."less"

if that makes any sense.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"2014 Report Card: Brian Boyle's immense contributions, sans goal scoring"

"An unrestricted free agent coming off a strong regular season, and an even stronger postseason (Boyle always seems to step it up come playoff hockey) in a thin UFA market for centers is going to get paid. Boyle isn't getting Paul Stastny money, but he's already indicated the desire for an expanded role. So Boyle will likely be suiting up as a top-nine forward next season in another city after inking a multi-year deal that pays him close to (if not north of) $3 million annually. And Boyle will be hard to replace."

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/7/1/5859450/brian-boyle-new-york-rangers-nhl-report-cards-2014

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
"An unrestricted free agent coming off a strong regular season, and an even stronger postseason (Boyle always seems to step it up come playoff hockey) in a thin UFA market for centers is going to get paid. Boyle isn't getting Paul Stastny money, but he's already indicated the desire for an expanded role. So Boyle will likely be suiting up as a top-nine forward next season in another city after inking a multi-year deal that pays him close to (if not north of) $3 million annually. And Boyle will be hard to replace."

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/7/1/5859450/brian-boyle-new-york-rangers-nhl-report-cards-2014

They weren't ready for the Yzermagic

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All I kept hearing in my head in the car when I heard this new was "Reunited, and it feels so good"

Funny how Boomer was doing that to hint at the MSL trade coming.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Like you really needed more reasons to love and appreciate Cally, the guy has already become a fan favorite (and rightfully so) and he’s only been with the Bolts for 24 games.

I'm not surprised about this though, there seem to be something about Cally that people respond to and he also seem like the kind of guy who wouldn't do or say something that isn't true so if he raves about TB then he means it and his old teammates knows that, and hey, all the better when it works in our favor ;)

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Don't post that on the Rangers forum. :amazed:

They are still upset about Tanner Glass. :laugh:

Like you really needed more reasons to love and appreciate Cally, the guy has already become a fan favorite (and rightfully so) and he’s only been with the Bolts for 24 games.

I'm not surprised about this though, there seem to be something about Cally that people respond to and he also seem like the kind of guy who wouldn't do or say something that isn't true so if he raves about TB then he means it and his old teammates knows that, and hey, all the better when it works in our favor ;)

If you met the guy, you would like him even more. Class act, down to earth and just a cool guy overall.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
If you met the guy, you would like him even more. Class act, down to earth and just a cool guy overall.

Really glad he decided to re-sign in Tampa and looks like he is paying off even before the season starts. Wouldn't mind him being given an 'A' next season. In need of a new Lightning jersey (although will always be partial to my Lecavalier ones)...Callahan looks like a good bet.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

I would really like to do that because what I’ve seen and heard of him has been nothing but positive and he does seem like an awesome guy who can make everyone feel comfortable. I just love the part in the 24/7 series when they are on a plane and he’s using the mic to annoy Marc Staal as he’s trying to sleep and everyone around them are laughing and a little earlier this year when the rangers were playing on-ice football and everyone pointed out how bad Cally was but the way they mentioned it was still special because you could tell that the fact that he wasn’t very good but was still out there doing it despite the fact that he was captain and might not have wanted to embarrass himself made them respect and appreciate him even more (if that was possible), i.e. when you hear things like him being able to just through words get player to come here.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really glad he decided to re-sign in Tampa and looks like he is paying off even before the season starts. Wouldn't mind him being given an 'A' next season. In need of a new Lightning jersey (although will always be partial to my Lecavalier ones)...Callahan looks like a good bet.

You guys have seen what he can do game wise, and he is capable of being even better. I still believe he has the potential to put up a 60 point season or two while he is still in his prime.

I would really like to do that because what I’ve seen and heard of him has been nothing but positive and he does seem like an awesome guy who can make everyone feel comfortable. I just love the part in the 24/7 series when they are on a plane and he’s using the mic to annoy Marc Staal as he’s trying to sleep and everyone around them are laughing and a little earlier this year when the rangers were playing on-ice football and everyone pointed out how bad Cally was but the way they mentioned it was still special because you could tell that the fact that he wasn’t very good but was still out there doing it despite the fact that he was captain and might not have wanted to embarrass himself made them respect and appreciate him even more (if that was possible), i.e. when you hear things like him being able to just through words get player to come here.

We spent about a few mins talking about where to get the best chicken parm in NY, was funny, telling him the best is made with fresh mozzarella cheese, and should go to the Bronx for some nice Italian places.

I'm just pissed at the Rangers and Glen Sather, all contracts are risks, you give a guy who is an outside UFA 9 years of a NMC, you give his best friend 6 years with 4 years of a NMC, and then a guy who spent 8 years with the team became captain and led the team to success, you toss out over a single year of a NMC. When Dan Giradi signed, I knew Cally was toast. Rangers do not deserve to get anywhere close to the cup again. Sorry. Pretty soon MSL will be playing with himself.

Now apparently Boyle and Stralman don't want to be apart that as well. They both took less to sign with Tampa.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
You guys have seen what he can do game wise, and he is capable of being even better. I still believe he has the potential to put up a 60 point season or two while he is still in his prime.

We spent about a few mins talking about where to get the best chicken parm in NY, was funny, telling him the best is made with fresh mozzarella cheese, and should go to the Bronx for some nice Italian places.

I'm just pissed at the Rangers and Glen Sather, all contracts are risks, you give a guy who is an outside UFA 9 years of a NMC, you give his best friend 6 years with 4 years of a NMC, and then a guy who spent 8 years with the team became captain and led the team to success, you toss out over a single year of a NMC. When Dan Giradi signed, I knew Cally was toast. Rangers do not deserve to get anywhere close to the cup again. Sorry. Pretty soon MSL will be playing with himself.

Now apparently Boyle and Stralman don't want to be apart that as well. They both took less to sign with Tampa.

I really agree with you on that, and I was also mad at the people who were calling him greedy, I mean why do people think it’s called negotiating? It was obvious at least to me that the 7 for 7 was just a starting point but it sounds also to me that they also didn’t have a lot of meeting because Cally’s agent said that the Rangers barely talked to them. No, I didn’t like how it was handled at all, one big reasons why I get mad was how the beginning of the season started when the whole Rangers team played like crap and then Cally was pretty much forced back into action a little sooner then he probably should have come back after his shoulder surgery and AV pretty much expected him to fix everything and Cally worked really hard to turn things around for the team, he played D when they were non-exiting, he stepped in to help Hank when he was doing I don’t know what and at the same time trying to get the forwards going, he even scored 2 pp goals and set up Richards on the third goal against St. Louis but since they still wound up losing 3 – 5 no one even cared about that and just like most things he did this season it was over looked and while all this was happening Sather signed Lundquist to an 8 year 8.5 million dollar deal despite the fact that he was playing really bad (and I’m not comparing anyone, Lundquist is an elite goalie but I’m think of the timing of the contract) and then Sather goes out into the media and says that he is trying to negotiate new contracts with both Cally and Girardi but in truth is he mostly talked to Girardi since at this point he already knew about MSL wanting to come to NYR but the worst part was actually going out into the media to discuss the contracts and while all this is happening Cally is trying to play and lead the team while knowing that no one even looked at the hard work he put in and the media is painting him out as this greedy guy who never cared about the rangers and that in many games during the season he really was the only one out on that ice…I’m amazed that he was able to do what he did and while I was shocked over the trade (though maybe I shouldn’t have been because of the treatment and the fact that Cally wasn’t on AV’s list of player he really wanted to keep on the team) but now I’m really happy for him, he went to a team that really wanted him for who he was and that knows how to use him the best way possible (I will also add the fact that Yzerman traded the first round pick he got for Cally says a lot as well) and he looked so happy and relaxed (in a good way, as if he could just be out there playing his game) out on the ice with the bolts.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'll say this about everything - there is a reason why things stay quiet out of the TBL office, generally. Negotiating in the media is a failure for EVERYONE involved. Always.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'll say this about everything - there is a reason why things stay quiet out of the TBL office, generally. Negotiating in the media is a failure for EVERYONE involved. Always.

NY media just rips players apart. The newest thing is that this was sweet revenge by Cally against the Rangers to steal two of their players. :shakehead

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is a legit rivalry now, I think, and it'll grow. They have a lot of former Bolts, including Public Enemy #1: Marty St. Louis. We have Cally, who's departure wasn't exactly amiable, and now Boyle and Stralman. Plus there's that draft pick in play all of next year, which means we should bring our A-game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This is a legit rivalry now, I think, and it'll grow. They have a lot of former Bolts, including Public Enemy #1: Marty St. Louis. We have Cally, who's departure wasn't exactly amiable, and now Boyle and Stralman. Plus there's that draft pick in play all of next year, which means we should bring our A-game.

I don't think it'll be a good rivalry as I don't see the Rags being a playoff team beyond the next 2 or 3 years

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Cally re-signing sure made it interesting, getting Boyle and Stralman now made it very exciting. Should be fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad