Lightning - Panthers Rivalry

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
They're already trying too hard to force it. Governor's Cup? It will need a couple playoff series before anything happens. With the new playoff format it isn't so far fetched once we get better.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Exactly. Both teams need to be good and meet in the playoffs a couple times. /end_story

Or be battling for the playoffs/ playoff seating.

When one is good(usually Tampa) and one sucks, not much of a rivalry.

Hell, I think quite a few Panther fans root for the Lightning in the post-season.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I hate the Lightning, but also respect the hell out of them. They have a great front office and I see things really going up for them for years to come. They just need some better defense. However, I have never considered the two teams to be real rivals. You saw some bad blood in the mid-90s when both teams were new to the league, but both teams have never been good at the same time. I'm sure that will change in the future and I would want nothing more than for the two teams to meet in the playoffs someday to speak the hatred open.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Heard a lot of Panthers fans on twitter rooting for TB in the playoffs before they got swept. Imo, in order for a rivalry to exist, under no circumstances should you have fans on one side root for fans on the other side. That's how you know the Florida v. Tampa Bay rivalry is currently dead. I wish it wasn't, but we need both teams highly competitive. Right now, TB is just starting to turn their ship around a bit and we're 2-3 years away from being highly competitive. So, ya.. it's dead.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Playoffs? What is those things?

eulogy_remembering_the_florida_panthers.jpg

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Heard a lot of Panthers fans on twitter rooting for TB in the playoffs before they got swept. Imo, in order for a rivalry to exist, under no circumstances should you have fans on one side root for fans on the other side. That's how you know the Florida v. Tampa Bay rivalry is currently dead. I wish it wasn't, but we need both teams highly competitive. Right now, TB is just starting to turn their ship around a bit and we're 2-3 years away from being highly competitive. So, ya.. it's dead.

regardless of how passionate the rivalry can become between tampa and fla, id still root for them in a series against the habs every day of the week.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
When the panthers were good the lightning were terrible. When the lighting got good, the panthers became and stayed terrible. Hard to get a rivalry going when there has yet to be a time where both teams were good at same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad