GDT: Lightning @ Devils - 6:45 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes, but that 3rd was excellent, and enough to both A) even up/put us ahead on both xGoals and tie the actual game.

And yet some here want to pretend it doesn't count or something.
A third period in actual junktime means infinitely less than a third period in a game still competitive. Unlike you, I’m glad the head coach recognizes the gravity of the situation and isn’t giving them a pass because they made a 2-6 game a 5-8 final. Give effort when it’s still a game, not when nobody gives a **** once the horse has left the barn

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
A third period in actual junktime means infinitely less than a third period in a game still competitive. Unlike you, I’m glad the head coach recognizes the gravity of the situation and isn’t giving them a pass because they made a 2-6 game a 5-8 final. Give effort when it’s still a game, not when nobody gives a **** once the horse has left the barn

Agreed on this 100 percent.

Trying to solve this now is sooo much better than in November Thanksgiving.

Glad you brought junktime back in the mix. Been a few seasons since we've had to talk about that...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The season being young is exactly why wins shouldn't just be accepted. There's so much fluctuation across the league. As the season progresses, things even out, and the good teams are at the top and the bad teams are at the bottom (for the most part).

Right now, their play does not show them as being a good team. There's no way they will maintain their 115 point pace (or whatever it was) with how they're playing currently.

Again, I said it in the last gdt, their early season start against a crappy team 2 times gave them a huge cushion but it's evaporating really fast. The loss last night made it worse. They have 9 gp, rest of the division has like 5 or 6. That's a lot of points on the table for teams to jump the devils. They need to get their shit together

No one has said things are fine just because they are 5-3-1. There is always something to take out of every game, win or loss, over the course of a long season. That doesn't mean that those wins in Czechia were any less important just because it came at the expense of the Buffalo Sabres. That is my point. I think the focus here is on the opponent far too often. The way the team is playing defensively the past two outings doesn’t chalk any opponent up for us as an automatic win.

Not one person is saying this is acceptable play. Everyone sees what has happened the past two games and recognizes that they have to be better or they won't be a playoff team. What I am saying is that I don't believe that this stretch is indicative of what we'll continue to see for the rest of the season. It's yours (and others') prerogative to react how you want. But I think it is unfair to not give Keefe the appropriate time to get things in order.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If the opponent doesn’t matter, I certainly don’t want to see some use a win against a strong opponent to prop up the team.

Reactions: Dialamo

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Having rewatched the tape of last night, we were playing a strong second period and Allen was playing a strong game before we gave up a couple of quick goals about ten minutes in. Then the wheels fell off the wagon and we ended up coughing up 5 straight.

The result was disastrous but half way through it was not a game that should have had us sitting on the ledge and wanting to jump. Call a time out there; get a good shift or two in to change momentum and it could have been a different story.

This was another case of us losing focus and confidence for a five or ten minute stretch of play, an issue that plagued us last year. It was not a complete breakdown that should have us questioning the teams very make up.

They don't make death row inmates watch replays like that. Are you a masochist?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If this isn’t a negative mindset, then I don’t know what is. :laugh:

I need to check out of here for the night.
Don’t see what’s that negative about it. :dunno:

If anyone can beat anyone and if we can’t call out bad performances against bad teams, why should games against good teams be praised and used to prop up the team? :confused:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I was talking about the washington game, which we TIED IN THE THIRD PERIOD TO SEND TO OVERTIME.

It is truly insane how many people in here have tried to call the 3rd period of a 1 goal game (for 17 minutes after we scored early in the 3rd) "junktime".

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Don’t see what’s that negative about it. :dunno:

If anyone can beat anyone and if we can’t call out bad performances against bad teams, why should games against good teams be praised and used to prop up the team? :confused:

Maybe I’m just sensitive to the topic at this point. I’m not talking about bad performances against bad teams as much as I am those who are downplaying the wins against Buffalo, Utah and Ottawa. Don't believe that’s been you.

I have no qualms with anyone being upset by the last two games at all. I get those who are discouraged. I’m just trying to offer the context of the other side. I don’t want to see to many people lose faith too quickly. But I can’t make people react differently.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Maybe I’m just sensitive to the topic at this point. I’m not talking about bad performances against bad teams as much as I am those who are downplaying the wins against Buffalo, Utah and Ottawa. Don't believe that’s been you.

I have no qualms with anyone being upset by the last two games at all. I get those who are discouraged. I’m just trying to offer the context of the other side. I don’t want to see to many people lose faith too quickly. But I can’t make people react differently.
Oh I’m definitely not downplaying the Sabres and Utah games. Thought they played good hockey there. Ottawa game though…. they weren’t very good for most of the game imo :confused:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Oh I’m definitely not downplaying the Sabres and Utah games. Thought they played good hockey there. Ottawa game though…. they weren’t very good for most of the game imo :confused:

You’re not wrong, but I thought that Markstrom played great in that game. Even if he got some help from the post.

Either way, it’s a new day and game tomorrow. Here’s hoping for something better than what we’ve gotten out of the past two outings.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who were these definitively bad teams that we beat up on? Buffalo has beaten Florida and Dallas and has a plenty talented roster. Washington is beating everyone. Utah has beaten the Rangers, Isles, and Bruins. Ottawa has beaten Florida, LA, Tampa, Utah.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
You’re not wrong, but I thought that Markstrom played great in that game. Even if he got some help from the post.

Either way, it’s a new day and game tomorrow. Here’s hoping for something better than what we’ve gotten out of the past two outings.
Agreed, Markstrom was definitely solid.

I want a convincing win tomorrow more than anything else!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There are few truly awful teams in this league, and even they beat good teams sometimes, so I don't really care who the opponent is. The fact is they haven't looked particularly good consistently so far this season. Some of that is a natural byproduct of new personnel and a new system, some of it is players simply not playing very well. We know they're capable of being a lot better, as do they.

I don't think the core guys who were there for a franchise best regular season two seasons ago have suddenly forgotten how to play good hockey. And I don't think Keefe, who has basically done nothing but win (at least during the regular season) since becoming an NHL coach has suddenly forgotten how to coach. I'm going to choose to be optimistic that they'll figure it out, because if they don't we'll all have plenty of time to be miserable together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad