Lidstrom tried to convince Sundin to come to Detroit during the 07/08 season. Sundin turned him down saying: "I only want to win in Toronto"

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Sundin - very good player of course, but there was always something "off" about his demeanor... he had a gloomy, almost depressed vibe on the ice, and it was hard to imagine him ever pulling off Conn Smythe-worthy heroics to drag his team to the finals.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I remember rumors in the summer of 08 all the way up until his signing in Vancouver of him also wanting to go to the Rangers. His only request was that he wanted a top winger to play with at first the idea was to keep Jagr but he left basically to show Cherepanov the roots in Russia rip. The next idea was to sign Hossa then Sundin, also which also didn't work. The final idea was floated in November/December the plan was to trade Gomez for Kovalchuk and then immediately sign Sundin , also 0. That's always why that 08 09 team looked weak.

Alas in Detroit I would assume he would slot into Fillpulas spot with Franzen and Samuelson as his wings. Probably center pp 2 as well. Definitely would have won his cup like Bourque did. I just wonder who Detroit would have given up for him.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
If there was a few people mad at him, they are lower than scum, Mats deserved a cup, the team failed hard at getting him the help he needed. Tbh I wish he kept going until he got one, I was cheering him and the Canucks on, he gave everything to Toronto and then some.

To put it in perspective how good he was, in his first 53 playoff games he had 25 goals with guys like Berezin, Hoglund, Roberts. Meanwhile Matthews has all the talent in the world and in his first 55 playoff games he has 23 goals.

Mats is a God in Toronto (as one of our current players can attest to).

Steve Thomas and Gary Roberts were good wingers.

Leafs fans and their revisionism lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sundin - very good player of course, but there was always something "off" about his demeanor... he had a gloomy, almost depressed vibe on the ice, and it was hard to imagine him ever pulling off Conn Smythe-worthy heroics to drag his team to the finals.
That's what playing in Toronto does to you. Where is that Phaneuf headshot timeline when you need it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad