Lidstrom tried to convince Sundin to come to Detroit during the 07/08 season. Sundin turned him down saying: "I only want to win in Toronto"

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015

From Sundin's latest book:

"In the beginning of february when we were about to play Detroit. My friend Nicklas Lidström who was the captain of the Wings told me he would've love me to be traded to their team. It had been something me and Nicklas had talked about privately before. Lidström had won 3 cups by then and had never missed the playoff in his 17 years in Detroit. He knew better than anyone what it took to win, he knew I could contribute so the Wings could win again".

"Lidström called me. And I told him: 'You know what Lidas, I don't want to win the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. I wanna win with the Toronto Maple Leafs', I wanted to keep fighting there. Even if I had a smaller role in the team. You got a no-movement clause for a reason. When you've played for so long other things matter. I wouldn't want to skate that trophy around anywhere else and thinking it should've been in Toronto.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Are there some people still mad that Sundin did that half year in Vancouver thing?
I'd assume the book talks about that. I wonder if Sundin confirms that he was rejected by the Leafs when Brian Burke showed up. Anyone who is still upset about that needs to get over it at this point.

No. He is pretty much universally loved in Toronto. Really in hindsight the fact he got hate for actively wanting to finish his career in Toronto is ridiculous.
People felt Sundin had a responsibility to accept a trade which was so very dumb

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Matthews, Marner, Nylander, et cetera...take a lesson.

1000000591.gif

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Are there some people still mad that Sundin did that half year in Vancouver thing?
If there was a few people mad at him, they are lower than scum, Mats deserved a cup, the team failed hard at getting him the help he needed. Tbh I wish he kept going until he got one, I was cheering him and the Canucks on, he gave everything to Toronto and then some.

To put it in perspective how good he was, in his first 53 playoff games he had 25 goals with guys like Berezin, Hoglund, Roberts. Meanwhile Matthews has all the talent in the world and in his first 55 playoff games he has 23 goals.

Mats is a God in Toronto (as one of our current players can attest to).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad