Prospect Info: LHD Alfons Freij #37 2024 NHL draft

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
We should just make it a yearly habit of picking up the smooth skating swede dman in the 2nd round, the D pipeline would always be stocked

Haha I do like the idea of taking defensemen that have potential in the top 100 picks or so that may have fallen.

I do have a philosophy of taking a flyer on a goalie ever 1-3 years if there’s someone you like. Only because you never really know how a goalie may develop and they are usually at best 3-4 years away.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Right behind Stanley lol
I know you are kidding around, but it's interesting to compare the two. There have been a few good studies on predictive factors for NHL success among draftees and the bottom line seems to be this:

In order for drafted defensemen to succeed in the NHL (even as defensive defensemen), they need to have demonstrated sufficient offensive ability and puck skill to allow them to score at a certain rate against pre-NHL competition (I forget the exact metrics and it varied between studies).

Stanley never demonstrated this in Junior hockey and so, for some of us, it was too big a gamble for a first round pick, especially one that cost the Jets additional assets to get to #18. His size was never likely to overcome those odds.

Freij is the opposite--tons of offensive skill, decent size, great skater, but will be a project to bring his defensive skills to an NHL level. But no matter what, his NHL ceiling is far higher than Stanley's ever was and, at #37, is a smarter bet than Stanley at 18 or 37.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'd leave him in Sweden for at least another year. Let him get a full SHL season under his belt, see how he does there and then sign him and bring him over to the Moose.

Probably would develop better with another year over there. The AHL is a tricky league. There’s a lot of lifers in there. You really need to get bigger and stronger as a young guy before you can really make some strides there.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I really like seeing how high he was on the HockeyProspect.com list. I really like their lists year by year, and him being high is nice.

Love seeing how great of a skater he is. Hopefully he can keep developing his defensive game as well. Hopefully get a chance to see him in the World Juniors.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
FONZ has to be his nickname.

1t5llq.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad