Levshunov is comparable to ? Demidov is comparable to ?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
From the post/scouting report I was quoting:

I do worry a lot about his hockey IQ. Offensively, he doesn't make any big brain plays. He kind of just fires the puck towards the net with a strong wist shot or attempts a seam pass with his really strong passes. I use strong twice here because he is built and gets good use out of his strength to apply it appropriately. His compete can be questionable at times too. He will lack any sense of urgency from time to time and give up some high danger chances. The turn-over rate is also pretty high. He relies a ton on his strength to push the puck past traffic, but he will throw the puck into a lot of dangerous areas. This results in some really bad turnovers.
Who is the source of this quote?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
From the post/scouting report I was quoting:

I do worry a lot about his hockey IQ. Offensively, he doesn't make any big brain plays. He kind of just fires the puck towards the net with a strong wist shot or attempts a seam pass with his really strong passes. I use strong twice here because he is built and gets good use out of his strength to apply it appropriately. His compete can be questionable at times too. He will lack any sense of urgency from time to time and give up some high danger chances. The turn-over rate is also pretty high. He relies a ton on his strength to push the puck past traffic, but he will throw the puck into a lot of dangerous areas. This results in some really bad turnovers.
Hockey iq sure but the effort level is always there he's just not as assertive as he could be but again that goes to hockey iq not effort.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
To return to the original question:
Levshunov:
Pronman: Drew Doughty Erik Karlsson
Wheeler: Brent Burns
EP Draftguide: Charlie McAvoy and Zach Werenski

Demidov:
Pronman/Wheeler Kaprizov/Kucherov
EP Draftguide: Kirill Kaprizov

ello

Jun 12, 2018
What could Pronman's rationales possibly be for those comps? I swear he's just naming random elite RHDs

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Who is the source of this quote?

Thought the poster was quoting a report but I guess it was their own observations, so my bad on that.

But there is plenty of similar criticism over him lacking compete and acting lackadaisical at times. There are a few examples here:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Thought the poster was quoting a report but I guess it was their own observations, so my bad on that.

But there is plenty of similar criticism over him lacking compete and acting lackadaisical at times. There are a few examples here:

It's not lacking compete he's just in over his head. Hockey happens around him too often. It was my biggest complaint about Vlasic. It's also the single hardest thing to fix.

Reactions: Geoist

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

That article states that he has to get more physical at net front. It also states that overall, his compete level is sound.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I mean the key here is that Demidov has more traits that project him as a top line guy than Lev has that project him as a top pair guy. Framing this as a "well dur cmon you always pick the stud dman over the winger" is so dumb and clearly feels like there's a Lev bias here.

Barring a miracle I really think Lev is the pick. Feels like local media is trying to soften us up for it lol

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I mean the key here is that Demidov has more traits that project him as a top line guy than Lev has that project him as a top pair guy. Framing this as a "well dur cmon you always pick the stud dman over the winger" is so dumb and clearly feels like there's a Lev bias here.

Barring a miracle I really think Lev is the pick. Feels like local media is trying to soften us up for it lol
Iginla has more traits that project him as a top line guy than Demidov

Silayev has more traits that project him as a top pair guy than Levshunov

And yet, here we are 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ClydeLee

Geoist

May 1, 2015
That article states that he has to get more physical at net front. It also states that overall, his compete level is sound.

Here's a report that is a bit less charitable on the compete front:

Where a gap is observed between [Reinbacher and Levshunov] is regarding their Compete-Level. This is the main reason why I prefer Reinbacher.

This is observed in various scenarios. First, Levshunov sometimes jumps into the offensive play and when the puck falls into the enemy’s hands and they begin a counterattack, he does not seem in any hurry to backcheck. During a sequence, a 4 against 2 took shape for the opposing team and it was a forward who assumed the defensive backcheck. Levshunov arrived a few seconds later, sliding down.

The most notable difference between the two, however, is how they will accept contact in order to protect the puck. This was one of the things I loved most of Reinbacher last year. In the case of Levshunov, I saw him get rid of the puck softly because he didn’t want to get hit. This is an integral part of a player’s Compete-Level for me.

I have continually questioned myself with Levshunov this season. At times, I was ready to forgive him for everything I had criticized him for early in the year, but now that I have a portrait of his entire season, I must note that it is a player who is quite inconsistent in his desire to compete.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Here's a report that is a bit less charitable on the compete front:

Where a gap is observed between [Reinbacher and Levshunov] is regarding their Compete-Level. This is the main reason why I prefer Reinbacher.

This is observed in various scenarios. First, Levshunov sometimes jumps into the offensive play and when the puck falls into the enemy’s hands and they begin a counterattack, he does not seem in any hurry to backcheck. During a sequence, a 4 against 2 took shape for the opposing team and it was a forward who assumed the defensive backcheck. Levshunov arrived a few seconds later, sliding down.

The most notable difference between the two, however, is how they will accept contact in order to protect the puck. This was one of the things I loved most of Reinbacher last year. In the case of Levshunov, I saw him get rid of the puck softly because he didn’t want to get hit. This is an integral part of a player’s Compete-Level for me.

I have continually questioned myself with Levshunov this season. At times, I was ready to forgive him for everything I had criticized him for early in the year, but now that I have a portrait of his entire season, I must note that it is a player who is quite inconsistent in his desire to compete.

Here's some of the same site's take on Demidov:

""What worries me the most about him is that at the moment he noticeably lacks physical strength. This carries over into three different aspects within his game;

First, this penalizes him in physical confrontations, having difficulty gaining the upper hand over his opponent along the boards or in the corners.

Second, this lack of strength is also observed in his shot. I briefly touched the subject earlier on, but Demidov’s shot is not strong enough at the moment to threaten the goalkeepers. This could significantly limit his ‘Ceiling’ in terms of point production at the next level.

And finally, most importantly to me, Demidov lacks what we call separation speed. He is not a player who generates a lot of power with each stride and this means that he presents some difficulty getting away from his coverer by creating distance with his acceleration. He is forced to be a one-speed player. (His skating mechanics need a little work too since he skates while being too hunched over.)""

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Here's some of the same site's take on Demidov:

""What worries me the most about him is that at the moment he noticeably lacks physical strength. This carries over into three different aspects within his game;

First, this penalizes him in physical confrontations, having difficulty gaining the upper hand over his opponent along the boards or in the corners.

Second, this lack of strength is also observed in his shot. I briefly touched the subject earlier on, but Demidov’s shot is not strong enough at the moment to threaten the goalkeepers. This could significantly limit his ‘Ceiling’ in terms of point production at the next level.

And finally, most importantly to me, Demidov lacks what we call separation speed. He is not a player who generates a lot of power with each stride and this means that he presents some difficulty getting away from his coverer by creating distance with his acceleration. He is forced to be a one-speed player. (His skating mechanics need a little work too since he skates while being too hunched over.)""

I'm not as concerned about 'physicality at #2 as I am about compete and hockey IQ. Typically you get your physical players later in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad