OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
my tesla covered call ETF has been paying 26% the last year, monthly divs.

Reactions: LeHab

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I was early, but I was not wrong. BTC set to smash through 100k on the not too distant future. So happy I ignored the naysayers.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
my tesla covered call ETF has been paying 26% the last year, monthly divs.
I've sold monthly TSLA covered calls. For at least 5 months, I've rolled my covered calls up from 160 to 215, and closed about 2-3 months ago when price dropped. Then I opened new CCs at 185 (when price was about 155-160). I think I have to roll up for the next few months again.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I've sold monthly TSLA covered calls. For at least 5 months, I've rolled my covered calls up from 160 to 215, and closed about 2-3 months ago when price dropped. Then I opened new CCs at 185 (when price was about 155-160). I think I have to roll up for the next few months again.
smart, I like it

You must timed it right. TSLY down 40% in last year.
I did time it right, actually had grabbed some more a couple weeks ago. I'm mostly in cash now, market scares me, too many things coming up. I'm guessing AI plays are still the way to go long term and I'll do my own covered calls on those instead.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I was early, but I was not wrong. BTC set to smash through 100k on the not too distant future. So happy I ignored the naysayers.
It depends which naysayers you're talking to. As a speculative investment bitcoin has been a good one. But as a curency with no ties it has been a disaster and a complete failure like predicted by lot of naysayers.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It depends which naysayers you're talking to. As a speculative investment bitcoin has been a good one. But as a curency with no ties it has been a disaster and a complete failure like predicted by lot of naysayers.
At this point does bitcoin have any uses?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
At this point does bitcoin have any uses?
Illegal uses? Yes absolutely. Legal uses? No, not really. For the most part the only legal reason to buy some is to hope someone else will buy it from you at a higher price. Obviously there's illegal reasons to acquire bitcoin ...

Very few commerces accept bitcoin and honestly you would be dumb to pay your coffee with bitcoin as you might very well end up paying the price of a car for your coffee 4-5 years down the line. Nobody sane would do that. It's a far wiser move to keep it and hope a "fish" will buy it from you at a much higer price.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Druckenmiller was on Squawk Box yesterday, said invest in Argentina. Thinks their new leader is brilliant. He said their economy is over beat up. Due to bad leadership in past. Their economy should be around 8th in world. Instead it's at third world level. Huge room for growth.

He also said he would never invest in China with current leader they have.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Any you fellows buy gold?

Yeah for sure. First thing I bought aggressively.

Value of Twitter/X is down 71% since Musk bought it, according to Fidelity's valuation of the stake it owns in the company.

Wish I could buy in. Yes rough period, but if he gets to the wechat stage Facebook is dead.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Illegal uses? Yes absolutely. Legal uses? No, not really. For the most part the only legal reason to buy some is to hope someone else will buy it from you at a higher price. Obviously there's illegal reasons to acquire bitcoin ...

Very few commerces accept bitcoin and honestly you would be dumb to pay your coffee with bitcoin as you might very well end up paying the price of a car for your coffee 4-5 years down the line. Nobody sane would do that. It's a far wiser move to keep it and hope a "fish" will buy it from you at a much higer price.

Bitcoin primary use case is still store of value - digital gold. Although there are more and more projects building on top, similar to Ethereum. One recent that has gained a lot of attention are Runes.

For illegal use, privacy-preserving coins like Monero are preferred. On bitcoin blockchain all transactions are public.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Bitcoin primary use case is still store of value - digital gold. Although there are more and more projects building on top, similar to Ethereum. One recent that has gained a lot of attention are Runes.

For illegal use, privacy-preserving coins like Monero are preferred. On bitcoin blockchain all transactions are public.
arguably its biggest use case is fraud. you take a sector where fraud was already an issue — finance — and you want to deregulate it further? and somehow you've convinced average joe shmucks this is a good thing? :dunno:

is it any surprise we've had SBF and CZ? not to mention hundreds of run-of-the-mill rug pulls?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Watching CNBC this morning I got to thinking of my early days of investing. It's no wonder stock market has taken off last 25 years or so.

Back in early '80s I remember paying $29.99 to make a trade. I didn't know percentages and analytics like I do know. Experience I have learned a little over the years. Putting $500 in a stock back then, $30 a trade is 6%. When I sell it was another 6%. So I had to make 12% on that stock to break even. It was hard to make money in stock market.

On other hand, I remember around 1989, receiving close to $300 a month interest on cash I had in bank account plus some in Canada Savings bonds. Averaging in ball park of 15%.
I could make 15% annually and my money guaranteed.

Now trades are $7, $500 back then is like $2,000 now. So buying and selling combined is less than 1%. Plus interest rates are at most 5%. It's common sense why market has exploded last generation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad