OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Saw Mignonnes last night (Cuties). Perfect example of some people judging a book by its cover. Complaining about the images of sexuality in the film is missing the point entirely. A good film that does a great job in depicting the socialization of women and girls. It is discomforting to watch at times, but that's the goal. Nice feature film debut for the director.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Schitt's Creek cleaned up at the Emmys.

Outstanding comedy series, best actor Eugene Levy, and actress Catherine O'Hara, best supporting actress Annie Murphy and actor Dan Levy.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Schitt's Creek cleaned up at the Emmys.

Outstanding comedy series, best actor Eugene Levy, and actress Catherine O'Hara, best supporting actress Annie Murphy and actor Dan Levy.

Where can I watch it legally?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Brave New World is a different show. I know we read the book back in school but can't say I remember the story at all.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Re-watched The Raid 1 & 2.

I maintain (against popular opinion) that the second film is superior. The extra context gives the action sequences more punch, and the fights in the restaurant/kitchen made the crescendo worth it, made my ***** tingle with excitement.

The Raid: 7/10
The Raid 2: 8/10

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Our UK contingent pushed to watch the new version of van der Valk which is a British cop show but filmed in Amsterdam,so I was keen to see it. Principal cast is made up of Brits portraying Dutch police and they got it way wrong. But it was fine once getting used to Dutch police with Brit accent and mannerisms,supporting cast is local though.Prefer Professor T which is out of Antwerpen and they speak Dutch on the show.

images

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
With hockey over, I got back to watching some TV series I had saved. Just watched the Yellowstone episode with the bikers. I was almost worried they were going to shoot them in their just self-dug graves. That show keeps surprising me.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Our UK contingent pushed to watch the new version of van der Valk which is a British cop show but filmed in Amsterdam,so I was keen to see it. Principal cast is made up of Brits portraying Dutch police and they got it way wrong. But it was fine once getting used to Dutch police with Brit accent and mannerisms,supporting cast is local though.Prefer Professor T which is out of Antwerpen and they speak Dutch on the show.

images

That is the same reaction I have when British actors are Swedish detectives.

tenor.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

images

That is such a strange concept. Why not just use the same scripts but put it in London? And I wonder how Dutch people view this?

Although if there was an english show out of Quebec city, part of me would be intrigued by it...?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That is the same reaction I have when British actors are Swedish detectives.

tenor.gif

Haven't seen many,but enjoyed Wallender which I believe is Brit made. The Bridge was good with the subtitles,much prefer subtitles over dubbing any day. Nothing tops hearing Schwarzenegger in the Terminator dubbed in French.:biglaugh:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That is such a strange concept. Why not just use the same scripts but put it in London? And I wonder how Dutch people view this?

Although if there was an english show out of Quebec city, part of me would be intrigued by it...?

van der Valk is a reboot from the 70's when it was also partially filmed in Amsterdam and they wanted to recreate the same thing. The actor from the original van der Valk is the killer from Hitchcock's ''Frenzy'' spoiler alert!:)

As a Dutchman I can tell you that it took getting used to it. Not close at all how Dutch people behave,speak etc. They even had them drinking beer from bottles!!!! I read some reviews from the Dutch and they are not fans,but I thought it was fine when acclimated to it. Probably the same for most people seeing their homeland portrayed not the way that it is,but outsiders probably do not notice such idiosyncrasies and nuances etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad