OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC94

May 13, 2018
I hope he's still around to ask this again after sunday...
upload_2019-4-23_11-32-25.jpeg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Night King is like 10,000 years old.
There is a theory that the Children of the Forest saw in Rhaegar the Man they believed to be everything they wanted the First Men to be, so they traveled through time and captured his soul/mind at the moment of his death in a glass candle. The dragonglass we see stabbing that man actually contains the mind of Rhaegar and is transferred on. That would be one way in explaining how RT would be the Night King created about 8000 years prior.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
There has to be a connection somewhere. There is a connection to Bran and the Stark and there is one with Jon Snow.
Night King is after Bran because he wants to apparently whipe the memory, but then, why does he always have these staredowns with Jon?
I'm thinking he's related to them.
I believe it's either it's Bran who warged in the past for too long, got stuck there and then turned, or it's Jon's father, Rhaegar. After all, we saw the Night King walk through fire and he can ride a Dragon, things that seemingly only Targaryen's can do, and he has these massive moments with Jon Snow....so...

In any way, there's got to be connections. It can't just be a senseless zombie.
I agree, can't be just mindless zombies. What a damn letdown that would be. Disaster.

MC94

May 13, 2018
There is a theory that the Children of the Forest saw in Rhaegar the Man they believed to be everything they wanted the First Men to be, so they traveled through time and captured his soul/mind at the moment of his death in a glass candle. The dragonglass we see stabbing that man actually contains the mind of Rhaegar and is transferred on. That would be one way in explaining how RT would be the Night King created about 8000 years prior.

Here is a reddit post explaining the theory, go to the bottom of the post for the summary

reddit.com/r/gottheories/comments/b3fv6p/the_night_king_is_rhaegar_targaryen_a_new_theory/

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Don't we already know who the Night King is? That guy that was turned by the children of the forest? Or was that not the Night King?

I probably should have re-watched the show before getting into season 8.

Yeah and who is that guy? He's "That guy", that's all we know.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm thinking the Night King's true motives will be some kind of big reveal eventually, hence why we don't know that much for the time being.

It'd be a bit lame if they were ice zombies and nothing more to them. I doubt that's the direction GRRM wants to take. And we've seen that the white walkers do have some sort of structure within their ranks.

My guess would be, they have some kind of "pure" motive that gives their conquest a whole different meaning even if it may come at the cost of the human race. What that motive is, I'm guessing, is more or less going to be the final reveal of the show. It has been built around the iron throne all those years, but I'm guessing all that takes a backseat down the line. It pretty much already has, even with the Cersei-Dany-Jon drama.

The show had a quote that no side of a war is pure evil or pure good. So it can ultimately be that the knight king is actually the 'good' guy but that would be a stretch. A hell of a twist though!

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
ugh I hope they don't get all time-travely with these last 5 epis, that would suck

Reactions: Guilliam

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Why does the Night King need to have any other desire than to rule over the world? After all, it seems to be the only thing the living care about, maybe the dead aren't that different? :dunno:

Reactions: ArtPeur

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

That would be a shitty storyline.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Why does the Night King need to have any other desire than to rule over the world? After all, it seems to be the only thing the living care about, maybe the dead aren't that different? :dunno:

It could be, but I'm thinking there's a lot more depth to it.

Or else, why not just stick with the struggle for the iron throne as the one and only story line? It would have been plenty enough on its own. Why would you try to work in ice zombies into that equation if their only purpose is to kill without reason?

I don't know, it doesn't seem very GRRM-like to go for the simple, easy option.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It could be, but I'm thinking there's a lot more depth to it.

Or else, why not just stick with the struggle for the iron throne as the one and only story line? It would have been plenty enough on its own. Why would you try to work in ice zombies into that equation if their only purpose is to kill without reason?

I don't know, it doesn't seem very GRRM-like to go for the simple, easy option.

Well a major theme is how petty/pointless all the fighting over who sits on the iron throne is in the face of an enemy who wants to kill everyone. So you don't need some overarching purpose, in fact, without one it makes them more of a force of nature then an enemy you can deal with which creates a nice parallel to the fight against climate change.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well a major theme is how petty/pointless all the fighting over who sits on the iron throne is in the face of an enemy who wants to kill everyone. So you don't need some overarching purpose, in fact, without one it makes them more of a force of nature then an enemy you can deal with which creates a nice parallel to the fight against climate change.

I thought about that angle, and we as watchers have known the existence and seriousness threat since day 1, but as far as the characters in the show go, they've all been aware of the gravity of the situation for only a couple seasons.

The bulk of the show has been about the iron throne, and it would have been fine as it is even if you took the entire white walker aspect out of it. Now that the threat is known by everyone, I guess you could comment on the pettiness of Cersei, Dany and Sansa regarding stuff that really shouldn't be a concern considering what they're facing, but is that really just it?

I get where you're coming from with the climate change parallel, but to me that's a bit far fetched. It might help in terms of rationalizing the situation in our own frame of perception, but it doesn't give a purpose to the white walkers within the story. Then again, it's not like they need to have a higher purpose, but considering the depth of the show, that's what I've come to expect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Okay...

So i finally went to see Captain Marvel because friends of mine insisted.. like.. "Dude, Endgame's coming up, you need it for continuity's sake!"

**** continuity. That movie was a friggin bore.

Same week i decide to watch Aquaman.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

I think i've hit a wall with superhero movies.

Oh how am I surprised that the negative nancy didn't like Captain Marvel.

giphy.gif

Ozy when he sees something fun

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sorry to interrupt the Jeopardy and GoT thread, but early buzz is out on Endgame and the early consensus is it is epic.

I see the movie Saturday, so I have to refrain from going to any entertainment related websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad