OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone finish up the last season of House of Cards? I kept falling asleep on the first two episodes of Season 6 -- I hope it picks up otherwise, well it'll help with my sleep debt.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I finished House of Cards. It felt scaled down compared to previous seasons and the ending was below expectations. I didn't feel the pressure ramp up as in past seasons, it went sideways a lot and Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear didn't have enough evil in them to be convincing as grand master villains. It looks like the show did not recover all that well from losing Spacey who was a pillar in the series. The writing on the 6th season appeared to be a patch job to try and find a shortcut to a dramatic ending -- and what they chose to do is so highly improbable that it became ridiculous.

Glad it's over and too bad they were never able to make up for losing Spacey.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Watched most of Orson Welles' lost film 'The Other Side of the Wind' last night on Netflix. Glad they finally released it. I really liked it. It's arty as eff but if you like 'F is For Fake' then I'm sure you'll like this one. Same league. They did a really good job editing it I found. Technically it's first rate. An absolute masterclass. Welles as a technician was as good as the best i.e. your Hitchcocks and your Kubricks.

Who knows what the hell it's all about though lol. Kind of like F is for Fake it's very disorienting and 'meta'. Doing this in the 70s though it feels fresh and innovative. Feels like a precursor to a Charlie Kaufman film. Even one like 'Synechdoche' but not as architecturally daunting. I can see people despising it but even as arty as it is I found it quite watchable and even quite exhilirating at times. It's amazing how innovative he was. To go from 'Kane' to this one is quite an impressive arc.

Reactions: Fenris

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Went to FB2 with the wife, had little to do with Fantastic Beasts and was a muddled Harry Potter Prequel which is where I assume the franchise is going but pretending to be something else in the meantime

Tried to be 2 movies at once and failed

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I finished House of Cards. It felt scaled down compared to previous seasons and the ending was below expectations. I didn't feel the pressure ramp up as in past seasons, it went sideways a lot and Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear didn't have enough evil in them to be convincing as grand master villains. It looks like the show did not recover all that well from losing Spacey who was a pillar in the series. The writing on the 6th season appeared to be a patch job to try and find a shortcut to a dramatic ending -- and what they chose to do is so highly improbable that it became ridiculous.

Glad it's over and too bad they were never able to make up for losing Spacey.

I quit after season 3. The appeal of the show was how devious Frank was(and Claire) and it was that for the first two seasons but once Frank became President, that whole third season, they were fairly decent once in office. And that frustrated me a lot. I wanted to see President Evil but I didn't get that. I don't know if it gets better with Season 4 but I have not felt the need to go back because of how disappointing Seasson 3 was.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I started watching Riverdale. It's entertaining but it's pretty much Desperate Housewives-type cliches with seemingly perfect people having a dark past. When the Quaterback having an affair with the older female teacher passes for suspense well...there you you go. There are so many shows like these, it's like a genre into itself "Small Town Murder Mysteries". Teen Wolf was like this too.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I started watching Riverdale. It's entertaining but it's pretty much Desperate Housewives-type cliches with seemingly perfect people having a dark past. When the Quaterback having an affair with the older female teacher passes for suspense well...there you you go. There are so many shows like these, it's like a genre into itself "Small Town Murder Mysteries". Teen Wolf was like this too.

This sounds like a low common denominator fare that fuels Netflix on those weeks where there are no big releases.

I think I've only seen one endorsement of the show by one of our posters but he never provided a reason why:

K, Ill confess, Im a fan of Riverdale.

I can't speak to it and had not planned on watching -- I guess I need an incentive.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Narcos Mexico started today... overload of excellent shows to watch

Do you have a list of shows you're targeting? Would be interesting to know which shows are attracting your attention and why.

If more of us can do this, we might uncover some shows or movies we haven't been paying enough attention to.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This sounds like a low common denominator fare that fuels Netflix on those weeks where there are no big releases.

I think I've only seen one endorsement of the show by one of our posters but he never provided a reason why:

I can't speak to it and had not planned on watching -- I guess I need an incentive.

I heard good things about it. The appeal for me was seeing a dark version of the Archie gang but instead found the same cliches. The good ones reveal to be bad, the jerks ends up being bad to hide a fragile interior. I swear there's this character the alpha girl lead cheerleader with the red head is the same character as the other bitchy red head from Teen Wolf. In Teen Wolf after showing herself to be the top bitch, she ended up with the geek and if i was a betting man, the bad rich red head will end up with Jugghead when it's all said and done. In a World where Stranger Things exist, they should have tried harder.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I admit to watching it too. I was curious at first, a dark spin to Archie. Could be interesting. But it's pretty meh..That said, I still watch it. I think a reason why is I don't have to fully focus on the show. So I usually put an episode on while cooking, cleaning, working.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I heard good things about it. The appeal for me was seeing a dark version of the Archie gang but instead found the same cliches. The good ones reveal to be bad, the jerks ends up being bad to hide a fragile interior. I swear there's this character the alpha girl lead cheerleader with the red head is the same character as the other *****y red head from Teen Wolf. In Teen Wolf after showing herself to be the top *****, she ended up with the geek and if i was a betting man, the bad rich red head will end up with Jugghead when it's all said and done. In a World where Stranger Things exist, they should have tried harder.
Keep watching then, it's not what happens! Lol

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Do you have a list of shows you're targeting? Would be interesting to know which shows are attracting your attention and why.

If more of us can do this, we might uncover some shows or movies we haven't been paying enough attention to.
New Narcos for sure, just because I love watching about the drug trade.

Just watched Haunting at Hill House which I enjoyed.

About to start Homecoming on Prime, seems like a good thriller.

Just finished Bodyguard, which got some praise on here and it was a real good show.

Little Drummer on AMC starts next week I believe. Solid cast and it's about spies and murder....so I'm in lol

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Narcos Mexico: 7.8/10

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald : 7/10 Not as good as the 1st but still decent despite being a bit long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad