Let’s talk about Lafreniere. What kind of player is he turning into?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
To be frank I didn’t watch any Rangers game this year but being from Montreal and I saw a lot of Lafreniere’s game in the QJMHL, I always stats watch him. He seems to be doing good this season, specially current playoff.

For those who watch him play on the regular, is he an established first line forward yet? What seems to be his ceiling, does he start to live up the standards we had for him pre draft? What is different about him from the past seasons that make him produce more now?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A guy that is good in the regular season but elevates his game in the playoffs. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but a very good piece of the puzzle on a deep team.

Reactions: xigon

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A guy that is good in the regular season but elevates his game in the playoffs. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but a very good piece of the puzzle on a deep team.
He doesn't possess the wheels of a Kyle Connor to be a top level player. Skating more Brock Boeser level. Unlikely to be a PPG guy moving forward. Can't be the top F on a team. If he's your #3, you're in good shape.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He doesn't possess the wheels of a Kyle Connor to be a top level player. Skating more Brock Boeser level. Unlikely to be a PPG guy moving forward. Can't be the top F on a team. If he's your #3, you're in good shape.

I mean with PP 1 time he would come likely come close. He's almost a PPG player for over half a season worth of games this season since the Ottawa game and he doesn't get PP1 time. He's never going to be an ultra elite player, but with PP time I think he can hover around PPG. The #3 comment right now is probably true though. At least currently.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't know where he ultimately goes from here, but I'm happy for him. Those first few years are really rough....especially for a first OA and a guy playing in New York. There's some additional scrutiny that comes with those things and not everyone can mentally survive that stuff.

He's didn't just survive it, he seems to be thriving now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He was 36th in the league in points among forwards at even strength, 8th among right wingers.

I'd say he established himself as a first liner, but he does need to replicate it next year for it to be really solidified. The only reason he's not around a point per game is because the Rangers PP1 is incredibly good without him on it. Maybe that changes next year.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
To be frank I didn’t watch any Rangers game this year but being from Montreal and I saw a lot of Lafreniere’s game in the QJMHL, I always stats watch him. He seems to be doing good this season, specially current playoff.

For those who watch him play on the regular, is he an established first line forward yet? What seems to be his ceiling, does he start to live up the standards we had for him pre draft? What is different about him from the past seasons that make him produce more now?

Thanks a lot in advance.
He will be the type of player many of us predicted he would on the sites where HF posters were bashing him and the Rangers.
Great two way player, leader and one day captain of the Rangers.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean this in a good way, he reminds me of Kessel. Kessel was "soft" in that he wasn't ever going to fight but he was physical in ways that let him score. Not along the boards but on pucks. Had the tools to burn teams, speed, hands, a shot.

So I guess I am trying to say in open ice and with the puck he kind of reminds me of how Kessel played

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Its really hard to say all that at this point. Few people saw the jump he made this season coming. He improved in the first half. Then he got even better in the second half. Then in the playoffs he has raised his game again. The bottom line is if he puts in the work he can improve a lot. He has already shown that. You can argue that he has been as good as anyone on the ice in the Rangers 3 playoff series. If he is at that level at 22 in the playoffs who can say for sure what his ceiling will be. Really comes down to how much he wants it and is willing to work for it imo.

I mean this in a good way, he reminds me of Kessel. Kessel was "soft" in that he wasn't ever going to fight but he was physical in ways that let him score. Not along the boards but on pucks. Had the tools to burn teams, speed, hands, a shot.

So I guess I am trying to say in open ice and with the puck he kind of reminds me of how Kessel played
Interesting you should say that. Laf actually looks for contact but I think he looked for contact way too much in his second and third seasons. I felt that made him stop and start too much. This season I felt like he kept his feet moving more in part by looking for contact a bit less.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
His last 10 playoff games; 6 goals/3 assists

Matthews last 10 playoff games: 1 goal/5 assists
Marner last 10 playoff games: 2 goals/2 assists
Tavares last 10 playoff games: 1 goal/2assists

Basically he's a high end Matthews/Marner/Tavares hybrid (if they were good)

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
He had moments before. A couple years ago he was second on the team in even strength goals but wasn’t used on the power play so his stats seemed low. But he is playing with better players now and that helps too besides the inevitable maturing of body and mind

He was criticized at training camp for playing a lot of softball over the summer. Maybe more hockey players should..or at least try a different sport that isn’t too dangerous to work on muscles that hockey seldom uses

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Improved skating aside, one thing I've noticed is he now understands some of his skating limitations and works around them almost perfectly.

He plants his feet and makes great little moves to the backhand all in one fluid motion, it's artful. He also looks to get open more and he's got a good quick-rising wrister/snapshot. He understands spacing a ton more. A big part of it is just figuring out the NHL. But I have no doubt he's been working his ass off too.

Last edited:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Kaakko is a bust though?
*Bozo

The guy is a total Bozo, he’s the laziest player I’ve ever seen. He takes the dumbest penalties every game, sometimes while on the ice he’ll just stop and stand there staring into space. Last game Florida dumped the puck in and Kaakko got to it but stopped and turned to look who was behind him and just stood still letting him take the puck. He purposely scored on his own net several times. He goes controller disconnected every other shift, sometimes when he skates to the bench for a change he’ll just stand there outside the bench staring at the other team for 20 seconds before getting on to the bench, so we’re playing with 4 men. AV yells at him to get on the bench but he’s just staring into space and completely zoned out. He throws temper tantrums all the time, He’s the worst player on our team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad