Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
No more further discussions needed, I think Drai is worth 11 amongst all the highly paid players that are younger than him. This is where he is given the cap increase. And when he signs his deal just after the season starts he will be 30, not 26-27. Many less prime years and more risk. There is nothing to debate. No one knows for sure what he would be on his own without McD. For most of his current contract it was debated whether he can drive his own line. This was debated everywhere. He is good but not out of the ordinary to be paid this much.

Who the f*** are you and why should anyone care about the (rubbish) decrees you're making?

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
His names sergeprotector and we don't have to worry about Leon's contract anymore - he's gonna come in at 11.4M.

What a relief.
12.5 or less, hopefully 11.4. If 14, would see what we could get for him. It makes no sense for Henrique and Brown to stay with pretty big discounts if the top guys don't follow. Just a hunch. We will see.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
12.5 or less, hopefully 11.4. If 14, would see what we could get for him. It makes no sense for Henrique and Brown to stay with pretty big discounts if the top guys don't follow. Just a hunch. We will see.
With those lesser guys, they might be taking less because they get to play with a guy like Draisaitl. It might support a narrative of everyone playing for less, but it also supports a narrative of the top guys getting big money and the lesser guys taking less to make that work.

I still say a fundamental problem here is that we have a big three of contracts: Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid. This would all be much smoother if McDavid could sign now too. I do think these three are discussing their cash strategy and how leaving money on the table so that part of the salary will be in extra playoff wins. How much cash do you trade for that.

This last playoff run helped this a ton. There was that story that the faith of the players in Toronto that their team will win it all is shaken, and it makes sense when you see the Matthews and Nylander deals
What we see Drai get will decide if there is a distinction there

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Best thing we could do is let him play out his contract. He will have a good year due to being motivated (just like Nurse on his contract year).

A long term contract for Drai will be just like Nurse. The minute he signs it, it's a major liability.

I'm not sure I have a better solution to build a team. I just know that it will kill us, like the endless other big contracts, for older players.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Best thing we could do is let him play out his contract. He will have a good year due to being motivated (just like Nurse on his contract year).

A long term contract for Drai will be just like Nurse. The minute he signs it, it's a major liability.

I'm not sure I have a better solution to build a team. I just know that it will kill us, like the endless other big contracts, for older players.
let the next Jaromir Jagr walk so the Oilers won't ever win the Stanley cup... i'll punch you in the face

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
let the next Jaromir Jagr walk so the Oilers won't ever win the Stanley cup... i'll punch you in the face
One of the most funniest posts I have ever read.

So there is a reason Leon always get put back with McDavid. He's not even good enough to carry a line.

Great shot, good passer, that's it.

His very average speed goes to slow, real quick, at 30. Plus, he's a baby when things don't go well.

Jagr......hahahahha. too funny, you need a punch

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

So there is a reason Leon always get put back with McDavid. He's not even good enough to carry a line.

His very average speed goes to slow, real quick, at 30. Plus, he's a baby when things don't go well.

Listen carefully, if it wasn't for the pandemic season Leon Draisaitl would have 6 straight 100 point seasons including the 2023-24 season. In 74 playoff games he has another 108 points. This is essentially the same pace over his first 10 seasons in the NHL as Sidney Crosby.

In his first 10 seasons Draisaitl has 850 regular season points. Crosby had 853 points during his first 10 years. Draisaitl has 108 playoff points over that same period of time while Crosby had 118 playoff points during his first 10 years of playoff appearances in the NHL.

Overall Draisaitl is a more talented hockey player than Jagr was.

Don't ever f***ing talk to me again.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
With those lesser guys, they might be taking less because they get to play with a guy like Draisaitl. It might support a narrative of everyone playing for less, but it also supports a narrative of the top guys getting big money and the lesser guys taking less to make that work.

I still say a fundamental problem here is that we have a big three of contracts: Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid. This would all be much smoother if McDavid could sign now too. I do think these three are discussing their cash strategy and how leaving money on the table so that part of the salary will be in extra playoff wins. How much cash do you trade for that.

Frfflast playoff run helped this a ton. There was that story that the faith of the players in Toronto that their team will win it all is shaken, and it makes sense when you see the Matthews and Nylander deals

Each Oilers player would have received around $400,000 for the last three playoff runs, hard to get an exact number as only the total bonus pot is listed in the CBA per season and the players get paid based on what round they lost in. That is not much to offset a deal, yes if they decided to do that it could save some money. But the CBA has the bonus pot going up one million per season that is to be divided up between all play off players, the annual increase in the cap is a lot more valuable that the playoff bonus pool for creating cap room. The squeeze will be getting them signed and retaining a highly competitive team, if the cap continues to go up 2-3 million a year on average in the long run the Oilers will be alright.

Also everyone seams to over look the same off season that the Oilers need to resign McDavid they also need to resign S. Skinner or a replacement starter which will definitely increase the goaltending cost from its current 4th in league cheapest combined caphit (WAS, CAL, and TOR are cheaper).

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I think it's easy to say now, but you'll always want to win in the present.

I think a lot of Pens fans see the end of the line and would be open to a big return for Sid
Yeah, I was exactly thinking of the Pens as well.

Wish list:
  1. cup
  2. one player we've drafted plays his whole career, wins a cup, and retires an Oiler (be that Nuge, McDavid, Leon, ...)

Reactions: AM

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I see this claim all the time, that he has average speed and that he will soon be slow. I don't see this at all. In fact, I think that the stats back me up on this:

From NHL edge:

Top Speed: 23.30 mph 92 percentile amongst forwards
Speed bursts over 20mph 96 percentile

Now maybe we have a different definition of average, but for me if you are in the 96th percentile range that is well enough above average to allow for some regression.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
He's done it twice without McDavid. We know exactly what he can produce alone, and both times it was top 5 point production.

Do some homework before posting next time
He has done it twice against second line competition and on McDavid wing.
McDavid ALWAYS gets the best against him.

After listening to all the arguments I'm still at 12 12.5

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Each Oilers player would have received around $400,000 for the last three playoff runs, hard to get an exact number as only the total bonus pot is listed in the CBA per season and the players get paid based on what round they lost in. That is not much to offset a deal, yes if they decided to do that it could save some money. But the CBA has the bonus pot going up one million per season that is to be divided up between all play off players, the annual increase in the cap is a lot more valuable that the playoff bonus pool for creating cap room. The squeeze will be getting them signed and retaining a highly competitive team, if the cap continues to go up 2-3 million a year on average in the long run the Oilers will be alright.

Also everyone seams to over look the same off season that the Oilers need to resign McDavid they also need to resign S. Skinner or a replacement starter which will definitely increase the goaltending cost from its current 4th in league cheapest combined caphit (WAS, CAL, and TOR are cheaper).
The year McDavid is up we could easily see a cap increase of $5M. The McDavid increase could be less than $2M. Even if Skinner gets $6M they may not need to find any additional space. And in that year Kane's deal comes off the books and Ekholm's deal is up. It is quite possible that they could re-sign Ekholm at a lower cap hit if they give him term.

The real crunch is next year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The year McDavid is up we could easily see a cap increase of $5M. The McDavid increase could be less than $2M. Even if Skinner gets $6M they may not need to find any additional space. And in that year Kane's deal comes off the books and Ekholm's deal is up. It is quite possible that they could re-sign Ekholm at a lower cap hit if they give him term.

The real crunch is next year.

Agree... I think Ekholm would certainly be taking an age related pay cut.

Next year is a real crunch, but only if they have the big three under contract. And if that's true, we might go through a year or two where the window hasn't reopened due to cap constraints, similar to Pittsburgh prior to it's more recent cups.

But that's a nice problem to have, since we'll have added 7 years to our window.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He has done it twice against second line competition and on McDavid wing.
McDavid ALWAYS gets the best against him.

After listening to all the arguments I'm still at 12 12.5
Many of the greats had or have at least one other great player to play with on their club.

Draisaitl has McDavid. McDavid has Draisaitl.

McDavid, when centering his own line without Draisaitl, sees the most 5 on 5 time with the Bouchard Ekholm pairing. When not playing with Draisaitl McDavid had the top 2 wingers on his line in Hyman and the Nuge for most of the 2023-24 season..

Draisaitl, when centering the second line, didn't get as much time with the Bouchard Ekholm pairing and was playing with 2 of Foegele, Kane, McLeod or Holloway as wingers for most of the 2023-24 season. Kane was his best winger out of that group. This upcoming year it will be debatable which superstar center has the best wingers.

I think 12.5M over 8 years for Draisaitl would be the perfect contract for the player and the team. It makes Draisaitl one of the highest paid players when the contract starts while not being the highest and the contract like the player, should age well.

Last edited:

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022

This last playoff run helped this a ton. There was that story that the faith of the players in Toronto that their team will win it all is shaken, and it makes sense when you see the Matthews and Nylander deals
Whatever the case is yes I'm probably dreaming for 11.4-12.5 million. After the decade of darkness, just want our team to be very good year after year but have a feeling if all these projections for Drai/McD/Bouch come to fruition think our cup window will be smaller as a result. 50% of the cap between 4 players, just not enough pie for everyone else so they will be playing with plugs.

Like it or not Cats are doing well and will continue to be highly competitive. All their guys are 10 million and under, almost all their players contracts end while they are still young enough. Every year they can compete and add depth given the above.

I look at the Leafs with Tavares and AM, two huge contracts in 2018, team has barely won one playoff round.

Looking at the Hawks after Toews and Kane got paid, decent team but no playoff round win and a steady decline since.

Don't think we will be able to afford much depth once McD's contract kicks in. So this leave us next season and the following season to get a cup. After that who knows where the cap will be. But should not be far off from 50% of the cap going to 4 players. Just does not sound like a winning recipe to me. By then lots of players out of their prime with many contracts going into the mid late 30's.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Whatever the case is yes I'm probably dreaming for 11.4-12.5 million. After the decade of darkness, just want our team to be very good year after year but have a feeling if all these projections for Drai/McD/Bouch come to fruition think our cup window will be smaller as a result. 50% of the cap between 4 players, just not enough pie for everyone else so they will be playing with plugs.

Like it or not Cats are doing well and will continue to be highly competitive. All their guys are 10 million and under, almost all their players contracts end while they are still young enough. Every year they can compete and add depth given the above.

I look at the Leafs with Tavares and AM, two huge contracts in 2018, team has barely won one playoff round.

Looking at the Hawks after Toews and Kane got paid, decent team but no playoff round win and a steady decline since.

Don't think we will be able to afford much depth once McD's contract kicks in. So this leave us next season and the following season to get a cup. After that who knows where the cap will be. But should not be far off from 50% of the cap going to 4 players. Just does not sound like a winning recipe to me. By then lots of players out of their prime with many contracts going into the mid late 30's.
that not because our their cap crunch..it's because they can't score in the playoffs

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He's taking a haircut, meanwhile aside from AM and Mac everyone else is in the 11 mil range and younger to boot. Mcd drives the team, Drai is 2C, big difference. What does a very top 2C make? Then you find your answer. Unless he becomes a top 1C on another team which has not been proven.
Is he really just a 2C when we have McDavid on the team? Not really many teams out there who would pencil him in as such. Leon won't get paid as a 2C, but as IMO a top 10 player in the league for several years now.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Did not call anyone names. Not offended but troll not cool. Our own Taylor Hall was a Hart winner also and nowhere near this amount of dough. And he is older, not younger like Drai. So will leave it at is. Believe players in their prime get all they deserve, those going out of their prime not so much.
If it smells like surströmming, then it's probably surströmming.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine the Oilers are able to acquire a 2C and Drai becomes McDavid's wing full time.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Is he really just a 2C when we have McDavid on the team. Not really many teams out there who would pencil him in as such. Leon won't get paid as a 2C, but as IMO a top 10 player in the league for several years now.
He is a 2C on this team. He would be a 1C on other teams. Reinhart just signed his deal, 8.6 mil, already brought him up. Looking at JT Miller at 8 and of course Tage Thompson at 7 million. Forsberg, a dominant player at 8.5. Plenty of comparables. For Drai to be double or close to it, I mean let people have their opinions but 13-14 for Drai is alot of dough.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He is a 2C on this team. He would be a 1C on other teams. Reinhart just signed his deal, 8.6 mil, already brought him up. Looking at JT Miller at 8 and of course Tage Thompson at 7 million. Forsberg, a dominant player at 8.5. Plenty of comparables. For Drai to be double or close to it, I mean let people have their opinions but 13-14 for Drai is alot of dough.
Do you seriously think any of the players you mentioned are comparable to Draisaitl?
iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad