Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
He'll get more because he's worth more. Do you think he's better than Matthews who's getting 13.25? I do, especially as he's a C. It's not 2010 man...the guy would be taking a haircut at 13.5.
He's taking a haircut, meanwhile aside from AM and Mac everyone else is in the 11 mil range and younger to boot. Mcd drives the team, Drai is 2C, big difference. What does a very top 2C make? Then you find your answer. Unless he becomes a top 1C on another team which has not been proven.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This post couldn’t be further from “keeping it real.” Drai is a better player than Breadman and Barkov. Not even really comparable. Matthews will also get paid a boatload his next contract.

11-12 million for a player who has produced at a 100 point + pace the last 6 seasons and is one of the best playoff performers in the league is just lala land thinking.

The offers for him if he hits free agency will be 14+ million. Easily.
If Draisaitl signs for $12M or less I'll be shocked. It would be a great deal for the Oilers. Now I don't think it will be a lot more, but I would be surprised if it is not in the $13-14M range. What won't surprise me is if McDavid is only a hair more when he signs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If Draisaitl signs for $12M or less I'll be shocked. It would be a great deal for the Oilers. Now I don't think it will be a lot more, but I would be surprised if it is not in the $13-14M range. What won't surprise me is if McDavid is only a hair more when he signs.
I feel like if Drai was cool taking 12 million or less the deal would have been signed already. I could be wrong though.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He's taking a haircut, meanwhile aside from AM and Mac everyone else is in the 11 mil range and younger to boot. Mcd drives the team, Drai is 2C, big difference. What does a very top 2C make? Then you find your answer. Unless he becomes a top 1C on another team which has not been proven.
Draisaitl has won the Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross trophy and is a beast in the playoffs, unlike Matthews...there'a 0% chance he takes than than 12 mil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The cap is determined when players sign their deals. 30% of the cap for two top stars does not work, history has shown this. Add Bouch and Nurse then it is even more difficult. Been a long time since we have had a recession, next one is going to be a doozy. You cannot project that everything just goes up and up. Anyways see what happens
A decent agent has a strong sense of where the cap is going. Next year it will be at least $92M, and every agent knows this. I actually suspect it will be more likely $93.5-94M.

We always see these "recession is looming" claims as reasons for expecting slow growth. Yet even when the financial crisis hit the NHL still increased revenue. Moreover, even if revenue goes flat after this next year there is so much slack in the cap right now that it could continue to rise at a brisk pace just to catch up to the current revenue.

At $6.2B assuming a modest 4% growth this year and a cap on escrow at 6% the cap next year should probably be in the $97-100M range. It probably won't be there next year but by the time McDavid's deal starts $100M is very reasonable.

I feel like if Drai was cool taking 12 million or less the deal would have been signed already. I could be wrong though.
Form the Oilers perspective it certainly would be done.

Last edited:

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
A decent agent has a strong sense of where the cap is going. Next year it will be at least $92M, and every agent knows this. I actually suspect it will be more likely $93.5-94M.

We always see these "recession is looming" claims as reasons for expecting slow growth. Yet even when the financial crisis hit the NHL still increased revenue. Moreover, even if revenue goes flat after this next year there is so much slack in the cap right now that it could continue to rise at a brisk pace just to catch up to the current revenue.

At $6.2B assuming a modest 4% growth this year and a cap on escrow at 6% the cap next year should probably be in the $97-100M range. It probably won't be there next year but by the time McDavid's deal starts $100M is very reasonable.

Form the Oilers perspective it certainly would be done.
Without talking about it (the word R or D). 50% plus between 4 players isn't going to work. Period. All the stats as our beloved Oilers get older and not younger will be a detriment. The Stars which were the cream of the crop along with great picks and a mix of young players/talent ( great drafting) did not erase that their team is older. It's hard to win, ask Pavelski, don't think anyone wants to see Drai in this position. Oiler for life at the ripe age of 38, take less.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Without talking about it (the word R or D). 50% plus between 4 players isn't going to work. Period. All the stats as our beloved Oilers get older and not younger will be a detriment. The Stars which were the cream of the crop along with great picks and a mix of young players/talent ( great drafting) did not erase that their team is older. It's hard to win, ask Pavelski, don't think anyone wants to see Drai in this position. Oiler for life at the ripe age of 38, take less.
he was underpaid for the last 8 years
if the Oilers don't give him 13 mil, someone else will

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not simply how much your top four earners make that determines if you can win. Its how you distribute all your cap space in response to that amount. The Stars for example are paying Benn and Seguin almost $9M more than the Oilers are paying Hyman and Nuge yet the Oiler pair are providing as much towards winning as the Star's pair.

No one is going to dispute that the cap will be tight for 2025-26 and to a lesser degree the 2026-27 season. But if the Oilers were to sign McDavid and Draisaitl for $27-28M as I expect, there are certainly options to make it work while not really impacting the team all that much. The key is to make smart decisions with the contracts for Bouchard, Holloway and Broberg.

By the way, with the cap at $97M, McDavid at $14.2M, Draisaitl at $13.3M, Nurse at $9.25M and Bouchard at $9.5M the Oilers top 4 salaries would be at 47.7% of the cap. In 2015-2016, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel ate up 46.1% of the cap. Add in Horqvist, Hagelin as well as Nuge, and Hyman and the numbers are almost identical.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
The cap is determined when players sign their deals…….
What?
Cap is determined by a percentage of revenue
Percentage of cap hit (the thing that really matters) is determined when the extension/contract kicks in

……30% of the cap for two top stars does not work, history has shown this…….

The Ducks and Wings have won with 2 players eating close to 30% of the cap…..history has proven that there are many ways to win the cup

What is almost an absolute? Insulting one of your best players by trying to strong arm a well below market value contract on him seldom works out well

Last edited:

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
No more further discussions needed, I think Drai is worth 11 amongst all the highly paid players that are younger than him. This is where he is given the cap increase. And when he signs his deal just after the season starts he will be 30, not 26-27. Many less prime years and more risk. There is nothing to debate. No one knows for sure what he would be on his own without McD. For most of his current contract it was debated whether he can drive his own line. This was debated everywhere. He is good but not out of the ordinary to be paid this much.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No more further discussions needed, I think Drai is worth 11 amongst all the highly paid players that are younger than him. This is where he is given the cap increase. And when he signs his deal just after the season starts he will be 30, not 26-27. Many less prime years and more risk. There is nothing to debate. No one knows for sure what he would be on his own without McD. For most of his current contract it was debated whether he can drive his own line. This was debated everywhere. He is good but not out of the ordinary to be paid this much.

Whew, I’m glad that’s settled then. Can you please start working on McDavids deal now?
Thanks.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
lol “not that out of the ordinary.” You have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
If they can win a cup or 2, I for one will be happy to watch this Core age out playing for the organization...
Sure, wouldn’t bother me. I won’t go into the other things that could happen. Of note I just rode past the spot at the uofa where I learned oilers traded coffee for 125k. Don’t usually ride past that way…

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
You are bad at this.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It is settled. A good player but a McD coat rider. He is in the pack of 10-12 mil players. Always injured when it counts. He is a 2C on our team, a very good one but not worth to be the most paid player as he is aging. Period. This is why the case is closed.

Always injured 2nd line Hart Trophy winning coat rider. I mean why even bother with this loser?

I feel honoured and privileged to have your definitive opinion freely available on this board.

Thank you so very much.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Did not call anyone names. Not offended but troll not cool. Our own Taylor Hall was a Hart winner also and nowhere near this amount of dough. And he is older, not younger like Drai. So will leave it at is. Believe players in their prime get all they deserve, those going out of their prime not so much.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He's done it twice without McDavid. We know exactly what he can produce alone, and both times it was top 5 point production.

Do some homework before posting next time

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Did not call anyone names. Not offended but troll not cool. Our own Taylor Hall was a Hart winner also and nowhere near this amount of dough. And he is older, not younger like Drai. So will leave it at is. Believe players in their prime get all they deserve, those going out of their prime not so much.
So
Leon is not only of lesser value than Nurse but comparable to Hall also?
Have I got a boat to sell you. All you need to do is pass the license exam first

Reactions: McBooya42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad