Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sources tell me that Oilers news will come today, hopefully Drai's deal is completed.

No proof, just a baseless hunch. My kid picked out his Oilers shirt to wear this morning. Normally he never wears it unless I convince him to.

Announcing news over everyone's long weekend? Sounds like something they would do just to piss off spector and the rest of the Oilers media.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
That’s still wrong. McKinnon was 27 when he signed his deal.
It's not just when the deal is signed, it's when it kicks in. Right after the season starts, Drai turns 30 when his deal kicks in. That's 2 years difference, thought it was 3, close enough. Point is Drai is 2-3 years older than all the comparables right now aside from Hubs. The players making the big bucks are younger. AM, Turtle and Petterson even younger than that.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's not just when the deal is signed, it's when it kicks in. Right after the season starts, Drai turns 30 when his deal kicks in. That's 2 years difference, thought it was 3, close enough. Point is Drai is 2-3 years older than all the comparables right now aside from Hubs. The players making the big bucks are younger. AM, Turtle and Petterson even younger than that.
This is a relevant point and probably the reason why a new contract hasn't been signed yet. It's fair to contemplate and needs to be discussed by the two parties.

But in the end, regardless of age when a new deal is signed, the length of that contract or the AAV, the Oilers are done without a Draisaitl extension. The Stanley cup window will have been closed and that is that.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I hope the market crash won't screw up negotiations players who have money invested have lost huge today on paper

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hope the market crash won't screw up negotiations players who have money invested have lost huge today on paper

Hopefully their advisors have been following Buffet and have a ton of dry powder at their disposal, as there will be a lot of bargains available.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Ya gonna be paying 38 yr old Drai. That should have some reduced value.

Reactions: AM and Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ya gonna be paying 38 yr old Drai. That should have some reduced value.
Hope he signs for 12.5 x 8 years like I stated from the very start. Good for the player. Good for the team. Leon is in a unique position.

Playing alongside McDavid and Bouchard his entire career he'll likely finish as one of the all-time greatest players to come from Europe.

With marketing and endorsements, along with the fortune made playing hockey, he stands to earn 200M. If the Oilers go on to have a dynasty he'll likely top that number.

If he doesn't sign, for whatever reason, it's the beginning of the end for the Oilers being a top team.

Don't wait. Sign Draisaitl then take care of the long term extension for Bouchard... followed next year at this time, an 8 year deal for McDavid.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Time to sell some puts on QQQ

Wait… when did this become a stock market thread?

My guess is 8 years 13.29 per front loaded

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
JFC I thought this narrative was finally gone after he won the hart

It will never go away. Any outside narrative surrounding the Oilers will live forever. Even if we went a clean 16-0 in the playoffs, you'll still hear "easiest path to the cup ever, refs favoured them, McDavid dives, they only score on the PP, etc, etc."

Basically it's been determined by the 90% of fans outside of Edmonton that despise the Oilers that no matter what, the Oilers and their players can't possibly be good, it's either 100% McDavid driven or there was some conspiracy to get them to the top.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Announcing news over everyone's long weekend? Sounds like something they would do just to piss off spector and the rest of the Oilers media.
Unlike a former head scout who decided to work out of mexico, the media really can work anywhere at any given time nowadays.

Heck, if you were really proactive you'd have the story already written. Not hard to edit and throw in one paragraph of opinion on length/dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy