Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Again Rishaug got involved like a dirty sock that he is after the Matheson "pissy" comment. Rishaug defended Matheson in the exchange, blamed it on Drai, and was doing that for awhile. It was only Rishaug and Spector, both clowns, that were defending Mathesons actions.

This is also standard Ryan Rishaug. Trying to make a story out of absolutely nothing and flaming players. This all because Nurse wasn't wanting to say much on a game day. Rishaug seems to think media are entitled to players on game days.

But carry on defending this tool.

Still waiting for substance to your Rishaug Draisaitl personal agenda bubbling below the surface.

I can't think of any media who didn't come to the defense of Matheson. It's generally such a cozy relationship between sports and media that when that is broken it raises eyebrows. Draisaitl answered the questions and Matheson didn't like it. But media defended Matheson given that they share the same gig to ask questions. There are media outlets involved that pay billions of dollars for player access as part of their broadcasting partnerships. A major revenue line for league and players.

The Nurse situation was highly unusual for the player and in context of a major playoff run and virtually everyone questioning the player's substandard play. It was news and worthy of discussion as this board will attest to at the time; Oilers fans broadly; and hockey world beyond that. Nurse subsequently went out and played one of his best games of the playoffs.

You assert a personal agenda bubbling against the surface. I don't see it. Back to the focus, it is reasonable to believe Rishaug has qualified information that the Draisaitl contract signing is not impending as as a likely unfounded rumour spread on this board and all over social media. We'll see which assertion holds up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
lol at this one. Rishaug "Oilers lack any resilience. Crater when anything bad happens"

"Oilers languishing and dying on the vine"

Those Rishaug quotes didn't end up being too astute either.

This has objectively largely been the case with this team for at least the past 5 years.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
And at that moment he was right.
Was he? I was on record here at the time saying all the team needed was a coaching change. I'm paid zero dollars for having that better take.

Rishaug was stating "There is no way a coaching change is going to be enough"

This has objectively largely been the case with this team for at least the past 5 years.
Is it though? No team has fought through more adversity, have come back in more playoff series and how many teams have more playoff wins or series wins in last 5yrs?

Objectively the Oilers are a very good and very resilient team and have been for several seasons now.

If the above was stated circa 2020 then yeah, agreed. But since then the team has been very resilient.

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Was he? I was on record here at the time saying all the team needed was a coaching change. I'm paid zero dollars for having that better take.

Is it though? No team has fought through more adversity, have come back in more playoff series and how many teams have more playoff wins or series wins in last 5yrs?

Objectively the Oilers are a very good and very resilient team and have been for several seasons now.

If the above was stated circa 2020 then yeah, agreed. But since then the team has been very resilient.
He was on there saying they were still struggling after losing 3 straight and a crap effort vs Carolina. Suggesting the GM do something was not outrageous.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Was he? I was on record here at the time saying all the team needed was a coaching change. I'm paid zero dollars for that better take.

The team was imploding and throwing games away as recently as the 2nd round this year.

In a macro sense there is definitely some resiliency there, but the team blowing up in game and giving up goals in bunches remained a problem almost all the way to the end. It was certainly better than it has been in the past, but it's still a feature that hasn't fully eradicated itself yet.

The Oilers seem to still be a team that needs things to go wrong before they find it within themselves to actually play how they're supposed to and capable of. This was the case in all 3 series after we beat the Kings. Some would call this laudable resiliency, I lean more towards the group still making things way more difficult on themselves than they need to be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The team was imploding and throwing games away as recently as the 2nd round this year.

In a macro sense there is definitely some resiliency there, but the team blowing up in game and giving up goals in bunches remained a problem almost all the way to the end. It was certainly better than it has been in the past, but it's still a feature that hasn't fully eradicated itself yet.

The Oilers seem to still be a team that needs things to go wrong before they find it within themselves to actually play how they're supposed to and capable of. This was the case in all 3 series after we beat the Kings. Some would call this laudable resiliency, I lean more towards the group still making things way more difficult on themselves than they need to be.
I'll go back to the hyperbole Rishaug was stating. (and this after the coaching change)

The Oilers: "Are just not a resilient group.

"Are languishing and dying on the vine"

"This teams mojo is dead and gone"

These are regularly the kind of overstated and histrionic takes from Rishaug, albeit in the video I'm reminded why I dislike Onrait just as much. Both were practically having orgasm selling Oilers down the river. The Oilers that ended up going to the 7th game of the SC final. This video is textbook TSN style hate on Oilers. The same org that would put the leafs on a pedestal any year.

Rishaug was saying "no way is a coaching change enough." Well it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For me Rishaug is not the worst of the guy covering the Oilers, but that is a low bar when you have Spec and unfortunately a way over the hill Matheson. But I have to agree with @Drivesaitl (did i really write that? :) ) that Rishaug often seems to carry personal grudges. And I think these grudges carry over to his reporting.

You want reporters to call it like it is. But you also want them to do so with as little personal bias as possible. One thing I loved about Rod Phillips was that while you knew he bled Orange and Blue, he was not at all above calling a spade a spade without it becoming personal. (Or should I say call a fig a fig given how old he and I are.)

Last edited:

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I just always assumed rishaug has more ego. He just seems to act like being on Tsn puts him above the other journalists, as if we should be lucky to have a national representative for the oilers

And that makes him better than the rest. It may not be true but his impression always comes off that way.

I watch his podcast but mostly because of Jason strudwick. I can watch almost any interview or show with most oil alumni

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For me Rishaug is not the worst of the guy covering the Oilers, but that is a low bar when you have Spec and unfortunately a way over the hill Matheson. But I have to agree with @Drivesaitl (did i really write that? :) ) that Rishaug often seems to carry personal grudges. And I think these grudges carry over to his reporting.

You want reporters to call it like it is. But you also want them to do so with as little personal bias as possible. One thing I loved about Rod Phillips was that while you knew he bled Orange and Blue, he was not at all above calling a spade a spade without it becoming personal. (Or should I say call a fig a fig given how old he and I are.)
No reporter is completely objective.
Whether or not Rishaug is carrying over a grudge is almost impossible to know.
It could be just a question of the level of his inquiries matching the level of expectation around the team.

IMO its absolutely fair for a reporter to gauge his commentary in a way thats in line with the public expectations around the team.

BTW... completely agree with you about Rod Phillips. I miss his play calling. He cared so much about the team and wasnt afraid to say it like it is. Whether it was the refs or the teams performance...he called it honestly.

Last edited:

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
McDavid & Drai hanging out still post wedding, would love to hear some of those conversations. If Drai signs for 8 years McDavid is a lock for 8 years next year. Just open the cheque book already. Or make Celeste the highest paid consultant the Katz Real Estate Group has ever had :laugh:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid & Drai hanging out still post wedding, would love to hear some of those conversations. If Drai signs for 8 years McDavid is a lock for 8 years next year. Just open the cheque book already. Or make Celeste the highest paid consultant the Katz Real Estate Group has ever had :laugh:

We were talking in this thread about "wink wink" deals that can be done, where the league can't do much about it. Something like Katz employing partners is another example of that. The NHL would certainly frown upon it I'm sure, but I can't see how they would regulate it at all. Similar things used to happen in college football before the new NIL rules changes everything recently. You'd have some 5* recruit playing in Lincoln, Nebraska, and remarkably his dad would land a job as a "sales manager" at a local car dealership, even though he had never worked at a car shop before. Things like that happened all the time.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We were talking in this thread about "wink wink" deals that can be done, where the league can't do much about it. Something like Katz employing partners is another example of that. The NHL would certainly frown upon it I'm sure, but I can't see how they would regulate it at all. Similar things used to happen in college football before the new NIL rules changes everything recently. You'd have some 5* recruit playing in Lincoln, Nebraska, and remarkably his dad would land a job as a "sales manager" at a local car dealership, even though he had never worked at a car shop before. Things like that happened all the time.
I would guess the nhl does keep an eye out for it. Would imagine if the person has qualifications or experience in the field and the pay is relative to market there’s probably not much they can do.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would guess the nhl does keep an eye out for it. Would imagine if the person has qualifications or experience in the field and the pay is relative to market there’s probably not much they can do.

How would they even get the pay though? Katz sets up a separate private company, and hires somebody. That information isn't public. I doubt that billionaire owners allow the NHL full access to all the books of all the companies they own, that would be lunacy.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
How would they even get the pay though? Katz sets up a separate private company, and hires somebody. That information isn't public. I doubt that billionaire owners allow the NHL full access to all the books of all the companies they own, that would be lunacy.
I would think they have some sort of investigation powers to ensure cap compliance. There’s just too many loopholes otherwise for teams to screw around on this. Would actually by interested to learn more about this.

Reactions: capazzo

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Looks like I opened a can of worms :popcorn:

There’s gotta be huge penalties for getting caught in work arounds (such as losing the player). All the owners are billionaires they would be doing it left and right if it was possible.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Top 10 Leon Draisaitl Career Highlights

Best Of Leon Draisaitl | 2022-23 NHL Season

Every Leon Draisaitl 2023-24 Regular Season Goal (ALL 41 GOALS) | NHL Highlights

Leon Draisaitl (#29) | 2019-20 Reg. Season | ALL 43 GOALS | EDM

All 31 of Leon Draisaitl's Goals from the 2021 Reg. Season | NHL Highlights

Leon Draisaitl (#29) Reaches 100 Points | Points 1-100 from 2019-20 NHL Reg. Season | EDM

Leon Draisaitl (#29) | All 50 Goals from 2018-19 Regular Season | EDM

Top 5 Leon Draisaitl Plays from 2021-22 | NHL

Top 10 Leon Draisaitl Plays from 2019-20 | NHL

Leon Draisaitl & Connor McDavid - All Points - 2022 Playoffs (65 Points Combined)

Re-Live All 29 Points From McDavid & Draisaitl During The Epic 5 Game Battle Of Alberta

Oilers' Leon Draisaitl Does It All Himself With FOUR-GOAL Night vs. Golden Knights

Reactions: McBooya42

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Leon Draisaitl 2019-20 Highlights | Hart, Art Ross & Ted Lindsay Winner

Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl (Evolution of the Best Duo in the NHL)

Leon Draisaitl Passes But They Get Increasingly More Impossible

Leon Draisaitl (#29) All 52 Goals of the 2022-23 NHL Season

Leon Draisaitl (#29) All 55 Goals of the 2021-22 NHL Season

Leon Draisaitl (#29) All 25 Goals of the 2017-18 NHL Season

Leon Draisaitl (#29) All 31 Goals of the 2020-21 NHL Season

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I check this thread daily waiting to see what the cap hit is going to be. I have zero concern that an extension for anything less then 8 years will get done and have a feeling that Mcdavid will take the exact same contract.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Sources tell me that Oilers news will come today, hopefully Drai's deal is completed.

No proof, just a baseless hunch. My kid picked out his Oilers shirt to wear this morning. Normally he never wears it unless I convince him to.

• Haha
Reactions: Lannes and McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: