Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just for some perspective in case it helps anyone not worry to much.

Last summer Matthews didn’t sign his extension until August 24th.

Year before that, MackInnons extension wasn’t inked until Sept 22.

As much as we all want it signed and delivered, there isn’t actually any rush and I imagine both sides will take their time.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I don't see that much difference between retiring with $500 M vs retiring with $250 M personally. But again, I'm likely not the norm in this.

I've said my piece on this, and I'm sure people are tired of my continued harping on the subject, lol. So I'll leave it at that.
I agree. what's the difference between being filthy stinking rich and being dirty rotten filthy stinking rich.? (quick 80's reference some of you may get)

But unfortunately it doesn't come down to actual money, it comes down to what the money says.

Players want validation that they are "that good" and that they deserve to be paid as a top player, and the Players Union pushes that as well. That's why when players take substantial "discounts" they are usually the very best players in the game and do not need to prove their worth by how much someone is willing to pay them.

Fortunately we have the absolute best player in the world and another top 3-5 player who can take those discounts without throwing the unions pay scale off too much.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

As much as we all want it signed and delivered, there isn’t actually any rush and I imagine both sides will take their time.

Further to this - a sense of it being rushed is a bad sign. If they had inclination that he wasn't certain to re-sign its probably more likely that they would have forced the issue earlier in the summer so they had more time to explore trade options if negotiations failed.

"Enjoy the time off, let's regroup in August when you start training again" is a common sense approach.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I doubt theres even a negotiation here. They are basically giving Leon a blank cheque and its upto him how much he wants to leave on the table to be competitive.
I disagree, McDavid is the one who gets the blank check for reasons on and off the ice (the only one in the league who qualifies).
Everybody else, including Draisaitl, has a comparable that leads to a negotiation. In this case, MacKinnon and more recently Matthews are the comparables moreso Matthews because it was the more recent signing but also more complicated because it was only a 4 year deal. I love Drai but he's not in "blank check" territory.

Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I disagree, McDavid is the one who gets the blank check for reasons on and off the ice (the only one in the league who qualifies).
Everybody else, including Draisaitl, has a comparable that leads to a negotiation. In this case, MacKinnon and more recently Matthews are the comparables moreso Matthews because it was the more recent signing but also more complicated because it was only a 4 year deal. I love Drai but he's not in "blank check" territory.
Let's get this straight. If Draisaitl doesn't sign McDavid won't sign. If one goes both go and you won't get the hometown discount contract from any player and the Oilers will enter another decade of darkness.

The Nurse cheerleaders used this exact sentiment in regard to McDavid while they urged the fanbase towards the wonderful 9.25M x 8 contract. The game goes on. Until something good happens nothing good has happened.

hf gang gang

smiley boys below

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He's actually a credible reporter in his work with TSN who chases information directly. Helpful to cut through the misinformation and wild speculation that gets belched up primarily by radio peeps and/or social media randos.

There's overwhelming common sense to believe Draisaitl will re-sign with Edmonton (Cup Final bridesmaid; team ability to offer most years and won't be overbid by anyone; history of investing to keep its star players well paid and happy via all team resources available off-ice).

Lately, he's been speculating more than being right. And when someone reports something before him (Friedman, Seravelli, Dreger, etc.) he follows up after the fact and makes it sound like he was first to report it lol. He USED to be credible. But he's in the dark more than we was before.

Rishaug is the local TSN guy with a great podcast. Not sure if he has trouble with relevance.

Or I suppose letting the speculation run forever is a choice too.
See above.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

Absolutely, I think we're all in a rush because:

(i) we have to put up with Leafs, Canucks, and Flames fans telling us Draisaitl and McDavid are leaving. We're all looking forward to finally being able to shove a Draisaitl extension in their smarmy faces, despite the fact that outsiders will just shift their narrative from "no one wants to play in Edmonton" to "OVERPAY! OVERPAY! Edmonton will never win with such a massive OVERPAY!"

(ii) We're freaking bored. It's the dog days of summer and I keep refreshing twitter for Draisaitl news just to have something to talk about.

Reactions: K1984

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I personally wouldn’t put him in blank cheque territory either but not sure the organization feels that way. Maybe blank cheque isn’t exactly the right term but I imagine that they have probably set an upper limit of like 14 or 15 and its upto Leon if he wants to take less. I still don’t think there is much of a negotiation. But hey I could be wrong and probably am.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lately, he's been speculating more than being right. And when someone reports something before him (Friedman, Seravelli, Dreger, etc.) he follows up after the fact and makes it sound like he was first to report it lol. He USED to be credible. But he's in the dark more than we was before.

See above.
I separate Richaug's work on TSN and his podcast. For TSN, he's generally a straight reporter who is fairly cautious in his reporting, usually citing sources for his information. Of course he does offer opinion as well usually in response to questions being asked by in-studio. It tends to be pretty conservative. On Got Yer Back he's fostering his opinion supported by his credibility covering the team and league along with strong network and league access to sources. I've never seen him try to so call hog the reporting scoop. Generally acknowledges himself as not an insider per se and I tend to see him credit who is first to report. Speaks to his training as a broadcast journalist.

Rishaug is certainly more out there in terms of opinionating on Got Yer Back as that's his own paid gig and together with Brown and Strudwick who've actually played at apex level competition gives a pretty robust credible account of Oilers activities. It's usually a pretty entertaining bit when on occasion Strudwick and/or Brown call Rishaug on his take on something.

He's not a chronic poo flinger like some locals with a microphone.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
They didn't have a heart attack when Sid signed for below market

that was still the 2nd highest salary in the league, he basically took a 300k discount to get to 8.7

big difference between that and taking 5m which is like 200th in the league and about a 10 million dollar discount

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He's actually a credible reporter in his work with TSN who chases information directly. Helpful to cut through the misinformation and wild speculation that gets belched up primarily by radio peeps and/or social media randos.

There's overwhelming common sense to believe Draisaitl will re-sign with Edmonton (Cup Final bridesmaid; team ability to offer most years and won't be overbid by anyone; history of investing to keep its star players well paid and happy via all team resources available off-ice).
A "credible reporter" who once said the Oilers should "trade Draisaitl while they can" and who sided with Jim Matheson in the "Why you have to get pissy" exchange. Rishaugs take makes specific mention that Matheson is a HHOF reporter that was wronged by Leon who has a "history" of such exchanges.

Rishaug also in 2017 falsely started a rumor that a team was offering Drai 9.8M in a predatory offersheet. When every other presser and the team itself responded that this was bs Rishaug relented and said that his post was speculation, yet it was worded as something that was occurring.

Could come up with others but Rishaug despises Drai. At times its barely under the surface.

Rishaug also the one that came under fire just this playoffs for posting up a McDavid is hurt video. Rishaug also specifically outed the Kane injury, during the playoffs.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A "credible reporter" who once said the Oilers should "trade Draisaitl while they can" and who sided with Jim Matheson in the "Why you have to get pissy" exchange. Rishaugs take makes specific mention that Matheson is a HHOF reporter that was wronged by Leon who has a "history" of such exchanges.

Could come up with others but Rishaug despises Drai. At times its barely under the surface.

Rishaug also the one that came under fire just this playoffs for posting up a McDavid is hurt video. Rishaug also specifically outed the Kane injury, during the playoffs.
Sounds like you would only be happy with a professional team bag licker like Francis.

Out of curiosity. Do you listen to Rishaugs podcast regularly?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Rishaug also in 2017 falsely started a rumor that a team was offering Drai 9.8M in a predatory offersheet. When every other presser and the team itself responded that this was bs Rishaug relented and said that his post was speculation, yet it was worded as something that was occurring.

I can't think of a reporter who didn't side with Matheson. Their job is to ask questions. Unfortunately Matheson chose to make it personal taking offence when Draisaitl clearly had enough and showed his frustration. I think this is a massive stretch to think Rishaug 'despites' 'Draisaitl. But whatever. Have zero recollection of a predatory offer sheet in 2017. If you have a link I'd like to see the context. Imagine there was speculation at the time of Edmonton facing a risk of predatory offer sheet given their cap situation much like we hear it this off-season about Holloway and Broberg. It's in the CBA and Edmonton is theoretically vulnerable. We know the reality of offer sheeting tells us otherwise whether 2017 or today.

Rishaug is a reporter for an NHL rights holder. Attending an open practise. There was speculation most of the season McDavid was hurt. He missed games.

Not sure what you're talking about with Kane. But Kane self disclosed his sports hernia during a media scrum going into the playoffs.

Didn't say he was infallible as a journalist or person.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I can't think of a reporter who didn't side with Matheson. Their job is to ask questions. Unfortunately Matheson chose to make it personal taking offence when Draisaitl clearly had enough and showed his frustration. I think this is a massive stretch to think Rishaug 'despites' 'Draisaitl. But whatever. Have zero recollection of a predatory offer sheet in 2017. If you have a link I'd like to see the context. Imagine there was speculation at the time of Edmonton facing a risk of predatory offer sheet given their cap situation much like we hear it this off-season about Holloway and Broberg. It's in the CBA and Edmonton is theoretically vulnerable. We know the reality of offer sheeting tells us otherwise whether 2017 or today.

Rishaug is a reporter for an NHL rights holder. Attending an open practise. There was speculation most of the season McDavid was hurt. He missed games.

Not sure what you're talking about with Kane. But Kane self disclosed his sports hernia during a media scrum going into the playoffs.

Didn't say he was infallible as a journalist or person.

"Predatory offer sheet at 9.8 million forces Oilers to pay 23 million for 2 players, or lose Draisaitl."

I would think a professional writer would recognize the difference in wording of factual information versus speculation.

It was a bs tweet, worded as fact that he then amended was sheer speculation on his part. At best that was false leader looking for hits. At worst just trying to stir problems where none existed. This is not isolated. Rishaug many times in the past had gone out of his way to stir controversy.

Reactions: McDrai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

"Predatory offer sheet at 9.8 million forces Oilers to pay 23 million for 2 players, or lose Draisaitl."

I would think a professional writer would recognize the difference in wording of factual information versus speculation.

It was a bs tweet, worded as fact that he then amended was sheer speculation on his part. At best that was false leader looking for hits. At worst just trying to stir problems where none existed. This is not isolated. Rishaug many times in the past had gone out of his way to stir controversy.

Not isolated yet you had to go back to 2017.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

And amended to clarify.

Offer sheets have always been a risk. Basically a non-factor in reality.

Hardly your indictment of Rishaug barely containing some sort of agenda against Draisaitl.

Reactions: McDoused

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not isolated yet you had to go back to 2017.
Also mentioned that it was Rishaug that released the McD is injured video taken in a closed practice. No other presser did. Rishaug defended his action despite no other wag outing the injury.

And amended to clarify.

Offer sheets have always been a risk. Basically a non-factor in reality.

Hardly your indictment of Rishaug barely containing some sort of agenda against Draisaitl.
You asked me to clarify a tweet you had not seen.

It was absolute bs and purposely stated as if it had occurred. Yeah, he relented, several hours later after others torched him for it all day.

This was purposeful misinformation by Rishaug stated as fact. As if it had occurred.

Didn't he also mock an oiler questioning his "mental fragility" for not being available for a presser?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Also mentioned that it was Rishaug that released the McD is injured video taken in a closed practice. No other presser did. Rishaug defended his action despite no other wag outing the injury.

You asked me to clarify a tweet you had not seen.

It was absolute bs and purposely stated as if it had occurred. Yeah, he relented, after others torched him for it
I asked you to share because I wasn't familiar with it. As shared with context he amended to clarify the tweet. As a self expressed known non-social media user I appreciate you digging up a 2017 tweet to give context. Tempest in a teapot.

Still don't see the apparent Rishaug contempt personal agenda against Draisaitl that you believe to exist.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I asked you to share because I wasn't familiar with it. As shared with context he amended to clarify the tweet. As a self expressed known non-social media user I appreciate you digging up a 2017 tweet to give context. Tempest in a teapot.
Next time I won't bother digging it up for you.

You asked for the tweet, I cited it, and then this dismissive reply.

Fill your boots.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Next time I won't bother digging it up for you.

You asked for the tweet, I cited it, and then this dismissive reply.

Fill your boots.
As above, didn't say he was infallible as a journalist or person.

Still don't see the apparent Rishaug contempt personal agenda against Draisaitl that you believe to exist.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
As above, didn't say he was infallible as a journalist or person.

Again Rishaug got involved like a dirty sock that he is after the Matheson "pissy" comment. Rishaug defended Matheson in the exchange, blamed it on Drai, and was doing that for awhile. It was only Rishaug and Spector, both clowns, that were defending Mathesons actions.

This is also standard Ryan Rishaug. Trying to make a story out of absolutely nothing and flaming players. This all because Nurse wasn't wanting to say much on a game day. Rishaug seems to think media are entitled to players on game days.

But carry on defending this tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium