Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s funny because they were all pissing themselves (almost literally) after the series got tied up. Blubbering like babies

It's weird too because it isn't like it's a troll on the series or anything like that either. Creating mental math to explain away why all the off season moves were actually bad, etc.

We just lost to them and I couldn't give the slightest shit about what the Florida Panthers do, but for some reason they now infect any Oiler topic alongside Nuck/Flame/Leaf trolls.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Guy loves it here and will re-sign. Enjoy your summer Oil fans and stop worrying about this.

Also, looking forward to getting my likes back in September. f***ing Florida trolls.
Are you sure they're real Florida fans or not just Canuck fans dressed in Florida colors? I know of at least one off the top of my head...

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So let's say Draisaitl chooses not to sign now and wants to play the year out, and possibly test free agency and/or sign after this upcoming season. Is there any chance that the Oilers trade him before or during the season or they gonna take a shot at the cup with an unsigned Leon regardless? I feel they will NOT trade him, no matter what, they are built to go for it this season, and I feel that's what they will do. I also believe that he is going to a sign an extension before the season. I was just wondering if others thought there was any chance that they would ever trade Leon.
First off I think this scenario is highly unlikely. But if it happened my sense is that they would not trade him until after the season, and then they would try to get as much for him in a sign and trade or a straight trade for his rights as they could. I think the prospect of going for it this year is too tempting.

The other thong to consider is that you won't really lose him for nothing. You would have roughly $13M in cap space to spend. You're no going to replace Leon but you could use that money to at least remain in the hunt.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Their behaviour is so strange, and frankly Nuck like. Similar to the Avalanche in 2022.

We have no rivalry history with them, no real reason to hate each other, and they beat us fair and square. I don't think anyone here has any major issue with them, but they choose to take the tact of basically morphing into Nuck/Flame/Leaf trolls for... reasons?

I think its because they are Florida fans honestly. Likely many of them are newer fans, and likely lots of them aren't hardcore hockey fans either (at least the Twitter fans, the HFboards fans are probably big hockey people).

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and K1984

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Are you sure they're real Florida fans or not just Canuck fans dressed in Florida colors? I know of at least one off the top of my head...
Touche

Their behaviour is so strange, and frankly Nuck like. Similar to the Avalanche in 2022.

We have no rivalry history with them, no real reason to hate each other, and they beat us fair and square. I don't think anyone here has any major issue with them, but they choose to take the tact of basically morphing into Nuck/Flame/Leaf trolls for... reasons?
Ya it was disgusting. I mean, if you google "Florida man" you see some of the weirdest shit known to man. Makes sense there's some of those muppets in their fanbase.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So let's say Draisaitl chooses not to sign now and wants to play the year out, and possibly test free agency and/or sign after this upcoming season. Is there any chance that the Oilers trade him before or during the season or they gonna take a shot at the cup with an unsigned Leon regardless? I feel they will NOT trade him, no matter what, they are built to go for it this season, and I feel that's what they will do. I also believe that he is going to a sign an extension before the season. I was just wondering if others thought there was any chance that they would ever trade Leon.
Depends who is available.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
A longer deal is more of a favor to us. The decline in his play as he ages is more than covered by his decline percentage of the cap. We want 8 years. It isn't some sacrifice on our part. He's the one that might ask for less term

Imo a good standard is 13.25 x 8. The same as Matthews but with more years, which reflects that Matthews is a bit higher profile than him.
Matthews has a way hugher profile then Draisaitl whether folks want to beleive it or not, hell matthews might even surpass Mcdavid due to the fact he is in Toronto and an american born player which they really push to sell the game.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Guy loves it here and will re-sign. Enjoy your summer Oil fans and stop worrying about this.

Also, looking forward to getting my likes back in September. f***ing Florida trolls.
There is one troll who isn't a Florida fan, yet is anti oiler that seems to provoke alot of oil fans and when they respond they seen to be the one who get smacked for it. No need to mention any names but I'm sure most know exactly who it is.....

He/she/them seems to be untouchable 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
13.29 X 8 for drai
Mcdavid will end up signing for 14.97 x 8

Cap will most likely go up by another 5 mill + again the following seasom when mcdavid contract is allowed to be renewed.....

Reactions: subnet

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
There is one troll who isn't a Florida fan, yet is anti oiler that seems to provoke alot of oil fans and when they respond they seen to be the one who get smacked for it. No need to mention any names but I'm sure most know exactly who it is.....

He/she/them seems to be untouchable 🤣🤣🤣
Part of your username corresponds to part of their username :sarcasm:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Almost everyday for the last couple of weeks my wife has asked me about the Draisaitl contract with a worried look. This was very unusual behaviour. Today I found out why? It is or 35th anniversary and as a gift she gave me a signed Draisaitl jersey that she ordered in February. Seems she thinks it will be bad luck and now he will move on. I tried to reassure her that he will sign. But until that happens things look tense here I am afraid.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Almost everyday for the last couple of weeks my wife has asked me about the Draisaitl contract with a worried look. This was very unusual behaviour. Today I found out why? It is or 35th anniversary and as a gift she gave me a signed Draisaitl jersey that she ordered in February. Seems she thinks it will be bad luck and now he will move on. I tried to reassure her that he will sign. But until that happens things look tense here I am afraid.
you know what to do

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sweet gift. He’s signing next week. Imo.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
First off I think this scenario is highly unlikely. But if it happened my sense is that they would not trade him until after the season, and then they would try to get as much for him in a sign and trade or a straight trade for his rights as they could. I think the prospect of going for it this year is too tempting.

The other thong to consider is that you won't really lose him for nothing. You would have roughly $13M in cap space to spend. You're no going to replace Leon but you could use that money to at least remain in the hunt.

100% agree... argued the same in a prior thread.

I also think that if we canvas his 10-team trade list prior to July 1st, we'd likely get a pretty decent return in a sign-trade. Certainly the most ever for a sign-trade of a pending UFA.

It's really too bad though that the acquiring team can't sign him to an 8th year... I feel like that rule should be changed so that the team losing a high profile UFA can at least recoup a significant pick or prospect (in addition to freeing up cap as you suggest).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Drai isn't re-signing, it would be insane to not trade him this offseason. The Oilers can get much more than only trading his rights. The return we get from trading him now would open our window for a decade and we can still go for the cup this year. It would be like the Lindros trade

He's most likely extending tho. There's not much reason to panic

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
JJ is a forward thinking guy. There's no chance they run this to free agency and if they do they're fools. You either extend him this offseason or you trade him. You don't go into his free agency year with the black cloud of his future with the organization hanging over he and the team the whole season. Look at how that worked out for Calgary with Gaudreau or the Isles with Tavares.
This is why the majority of teams lock up their guys a year before free agency, or trade them (Tkachuk for example) if they know they won't sign.

Reactions: Canovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad