Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I have a feeling that they'll both take equal contracts. Something like 13 each.
I don't think it will be the 40 million that some have reported for all 3 their window is now, four-year deals make no sense because if they have a career-ending injury they leave multi-millions on the table, they also want to win and you cannot have that with the rest of the roster on league minimums and 1 million contracts, and anything can happen with the world a depression where it would kill league revenues

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
$29M over two years

Connor's will be $97M over the next 7 years once his contract is up

Bouchard will take $75M over the next 7 years as well

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The guys on 1440 this morning were predicting a 4 year deal at 14M.
Yaremchuck started that nonsense on Oilers nation months ago thinking it was a brilliant idea , for Drai to get the most out of the next 8 years and it's a completely stupid number 1 as I have posted before I'm sure Klefbom was quite happy signing long term after his injury, other like Savard and Weber and others . Number 2 Drais numbers could easily start dropping after 4 years as he would be 34 looking for a new contract

Id say Leons market value is the max.
and
Dont you think Conner deserves the max? By the time he is due it will be 18 or 19. I know, thats a bit nit picky
Name the last player that took max cap percentage

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No. Not at all.

He was just giving the points his agent told him to. He said he loves playing here. He just doesn't want to sign a bad deal or get lowballed.

The guys on 1440 this morning were predicting a 4 year deal at 14M.

It doesn't really make sense to do that though. Let me just illustrate why. OK you want 14 million a year, no problem

14/14/14/14/14/13/8/7 = 12.25 cap hit

Is that not basically the same thing? You get your 14 mill x 4 and then you get a back half deal too which is guaranteed in case you injure yourself. Does he think at age 36/37 he'll be getting like 12+ on the open market?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
How the Draisaitl contract looked to people when it was signed. Some interesting takes. :)

this post aged well lmao

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yaremchuck started that nonsense on Oilers nation months ago thinking it was a brilliant idea , for Drai to get the most out of the next 8 years and it's a completely stupid number 1 as I have posted before I'm sure Klefbom was quite happy signing long term after his injury, other like Savard and Weber and others . Number 2 Drais numbers could easily start dropping after 4 years as he would be 34 looking for a new contract
I don't think anyone really knows. The advantage for Drai doing a 4 year deal could be getting another 8 year deal on his next contract. It likely wouldn't be as high AAV as this contract, even with the inflation, due to age, but it wouldn't shock me if he wants this next 4 years to be his competitive years, winning cups while getting highly paid, and then getting a retirement contract of 8 years where he can still make good money, still hopefully compete, while his role on his team gradually decreases until he can find a way to go on LTIR at the end of his contract.. I think he would have signed if it was as simple as doing $14M X 8 years, so there's probably something somewhere that he is haggling on. I wouldn't blame him for wanting that $14M number too, to be the highest paid in the league for a year until Connor re-signs.
14 X 8 = 112M

OR

14M X 4 = 56 M
9M AAV X 8 years = 72M, strucutured to pay out higher at the start at 12, 12, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, 6
Total $128M

There are benefits to doing a 4 and hoping he can sign a retirement contract that is 8 years long. It all depends on if he wants the secure amount, or is wanting to gamble on himself still being healthy and contributing after this next contract is up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No shot McDavid isn't highest paid in the league. PA would throw a fit.

PA can piss off. McDavid already did his duty to the PA with the first contract.

It's time now for other younger stars like Bedard to carry that mantle, McDavid has done enough for the PA the same way Crosby did, he has no obligation with his 2nd deal to do anything.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think it would be possible that we see Leon and McDavid go for 8X13.5M which would give them a share at the top of the food chain for the time being.

Bouchard is a guy that you may want to goo shorter with if he would 4 x $8.5M. Sets him up for an 8 year deal to close out his career.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Once again...Why does the PA care? The pot is fixed. Every dollar McDavid leaves on the table is split between all NHLPA members. Every extra dollar he takes comes out of everyone else' pocket.

Yeah everyone stuck in pre-cap land. This isn't The Doug Weight contract.

Every dollar McDavid or Draisaitl don't get, another NHLPA member get - and the total compensation NHL players get paid by the Oilers and other NHL teams is a fixed percentage of hockey related revenue regardless of anything else.

Back in the day, a star like Doug Weight was a real kick in the teeth in terms of the bargaining power and the total compensation of NHL players. But that is a long since irrelevant discussion.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
Once again...Why does the PA care? The pot is fixed. Every dollar McDavid leaves on the table is split between all NHLPA members. Every extra dollar he takes comes out of everyone else' pocket.
The PA cares for bargaining power. Future CBA negotiations, future player contracts. Everyone uses other current contracts for negotiations. Players taking discount HURTS future player negotiations. People don't care as much when players sign cheap 1 or 2 year deals. But when they lock in for 8 years they sure do.

GMS need to figure out that they shouldn't be offering 29/30 year old players retirement contracts. the script has been flipped and they now need to lock up young players to big money. and 30+ players to 2-4 year deals. Generational players would be the exception when it comes to term.

Locking up young players early is definitely a risk as you don't have as much history. However, it has also been pretty well shown now that there is a serious drop off after 34 and to be paying those guys 34+ huge dollars can be crippling on your cap.

Players also care when they take a discount over a long contract just to see GM"s piss that money away overpaying other players.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The PA cares for bargaining power. Future CBA negotiations, future player contracts. Everyone uses other current contracts for negotiations. Players taking discount HURTS future player negotiations. People don't care as much when players sign cheap 1 or 2 year deals. But when they lock in for 8 years they sure do.

GMS need to figure out that they shouldn't be offering 29/30 year old players retirement contracts. the script has been flipped and they now need to lock up young players to big money. and 30+ players to 2-4 year deals. Generational players would be the exception when it comes to term.

Locking up young players early is definitely a risk as you don't have as much history. However, it has also been pretty well shown now that there is a serious drop off after 34 and to be paying those guys 34+ huge dollars can be crippling on your cap.

Players also care when they take a discount over a long contract just to see GM"s piss that money away overpaying other players.

Again if players salaries are tied to exactly what the league revenues are, all McDavid's contract does is influence the contracts of the top 10 players or so in the league. The more those top 10 make, the less money available for the other 800 or so players. So unless he did something absurd like signing for league minimum for 8 years, the PA doesn't truly care all that much. Just Auston Matthews and other top 10 players with contracts coming up in the next 2-5 years.

I don't see how it influences CBA negotiations at all as all the league will ever negotiate now is the percentage of revenue that will go towards player contracts.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it would be possible that we see Leon and McDavid go for 8X13.5M which would give them a share at the top of the food chain for the time being.

Bouchard is a guy that you may want to goo shorter with if he would 4 x $8.5M. Sets him up for an 8 year deal to close out his career.
On some level I could see the PA being keen on keeping a merit based looking list of comparables. That said no one is taking enough of a pay cut I feel to make this a serious concern.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Well if that was the case they would have flipped out over Crosby signing a cap friendly 2nd contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Explain to me how one player's salary being say $1-2M lower than it may otherwise have been if said player had pressed harder impacts CBA negotiations, especially within a system where revenues are shared via a fixed pot.

Players take less all the time for various reasons. Connor Brown just left money on the table to stay in Edmonton. Does this somehow impact the CBA or is it just a few marquee names? Top players take less to stay or go to no/low tax states. AP for example left money on the table as the top UFA to go to Vegas. Where was the outrage from the PA? In fact, where is the evidence that the PA has ever said anything about an individual players salary negotiation under the cap.

Where is the evidence that one player's salary explicitly prevents all others from negotiating freely to get what they feel they deserve should they choose to do so. Did the fact that MacKinnon had a cap hit of $6.3M in September of 2019 prevent Rantanen from obtaining a fair market deal? Did Matthews have to take less than $12.5M because McDavid was at that number? Do you think that if McDavid took $13.5M in his next deal that Matthews would surrender is leverage over the Leafs?

Can it happen that a star's lower salary could impact a few others negotiations. Yes. Indeed, the most obvious instance that one can point to where a star's salary impacted others would have been Holland's unwritten rule that no one on the Wings made more than Lidstrom. This effective hard cap did indeed play a role in the contract talks of several players such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg. But both players stayed with Detroit and worked out deals under the rules at the time that worked for them. Both could have had more if they had left as UFAs. The Lidstrom rule did not prevent players on other teams negotiating their deals. On the flip side the Lidstrom rule allowed the wings to pay more to other players keeping their depth happy. But even with this situation where management made the artificial cap on salaries public knowledge, we heard no outcry from the PA. Moreover one can easily argue that stars taking their "fair share" impacts far more negotiations in a negative. If Leon, McDavid and Bouchard took every penny that they were able to squeeze out of the Oilers what would that do to the negotiations with future Oiler players?? Less money on the table means the Oilers depth gets squeezed. Furthermore, and this is the key point, there is an implicit impact on every player in the PA when one player gets more because every additional dollar one player gets comes out of the pocket of every other player in the league including those with existing contracts and those negotiating future deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: AT14C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad