Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Expecting a massive performance from him and McDavid tonight

Feel free to bring that up in the "Mackinnon, Kucherov, Panarin, Kane, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Kreider, etc are among the best playoff performers in NHL history" thread.

The reality is that the Oilers have been trying to separate McDrai at ES to the obvious benefit of creating offensive depth for many seasons with a whole plethora of different wingers. Having two franchise C's/two very good top lines has been a key to many Cup winners. It hasn't worked yet. This can be pointed to, among other things, as a reason the Oilers haven't had the level of playoff success one might expect despite having a generational talent and a superstar level talent at arguably the most key position.

McDavid usually doesn't lose as much effectiveness at ES when he is not playing with Draisaitl so it begs the question as to how Draisaitl can be placed among the all-time greats if he cannot carry his own line consistently enough where the coach doesn't give up on rolling lines with them separated so quick.

I do think he steps it up in the playoffs but not anymore than his peers like MacKinnon and Kucherov. And I cannot see him hitting the same numbers without McDavid.

So he deserves some attention for what he does but not to the level of the thread title.

His most common "not with McDavid" linemates in the 2022 playoffs were Hyman and Yamamoto. Last year it was Hyman, Yamamoto and RNH. This year it's Kane, RNH, and Foegele.
Separating McDavid and Draisaitl hasn’t worked for the oilers at times because they have no depth. Go watch Draisaitl play tonight. He’s been the best player in the playoffs and hes dominated other teams teams 5 on 5 while he’s played with Kane, Foegale, Holloway and Perry. Hasn’t just dominated when he’s on the ice with McDavid. His overall personal playoff resume will be on the level of your boy Crosby when he retires.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Separating McDavid and Draisaitl hasn’t worked for the oilers at times because they have no depth. Go watch Draisaitl play tonight. He’s been the best player in the playoffs and hes dominated other teams teams 5 on 5 while he’s played with Kane, Foegale, Holloway and Perry. Hasn’t just dominated when he’s on the ice with McDavid. His overall personal playoff resume will be on the level of your boy Crosby when he retires.

Funny how my boy Crosby has been able to create depth from wingers even worse than the wrong names you are throwing out to try to excuse Drai's inablity to carry a line on his own.

Jun 27, 2005
How the thread started : Draisaitl is good!
How the thread is going : Matthews is better!

Just the normal Leafs invasion to threads
Matthews was mentioned in the third post in this thread by a non Leafs fan.
A few posts above your post someone is comparing Drai to Marner.
The rest of the community seems pretty obsessed with the Leafs.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How the thread started : Draisaitl is good!
How the thread is going : Matthews is better!

Just the normal Leafs invasion to threads
Literally no one has said that. How the thread is going "Draisaitl has been phenomenal but shows a dip in production vs elite teams" Followed up by some random dude "Matthews doesn't produce enough" Instead of quoting that poster directly you choose to pull a strawman against the responses he got.

Trash post, do better.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
At his best he is a beast and absolutely dominant, and despite the high offence he’ll play chippy like SOB (in a good way)

Love to see it. To me he seems the be more the heartbeat of the Oilers than McDavid.
Shane Obrien? Interesting comparison.

Expecting a massive performance from him and McDavid tonight

Dude has 21 points and has a +/- of 0. He's getting some chances, but he's not dominating anyone 5on5.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Draisaitl is an insanely good player. He is the third best player in the league, after McDavid and Kucherov. He is, as has already been pointed out I think, Malkin to McDavid's Crosby. At his peak (in the playoffs) he is actually better, but in a full season, just a bit below. Salary excepted, I would easily trade Draisaitl for MacKinnon/Makar/Hughes/Matthews -- who are themselves the elite of the elite. Throw in his salary, and he is "better" than McDavid and Kucherov.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Shane Obrien? Interesting comparison.

Dude has 21 points and has a +/- of 0. He's getting some chances, but he's not dominating anyone 5on5.
Interesting I did not realize he was only even
Watching him I thought he was actually pretty solid d these playoffs

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
This thread will become moot at about 8:45 tonight.

Another example of HF jumping the gun.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
To be fair in the last three seasons playoffs (because that's as many as I can see on Natural Stattrick) at even strength Drai has been on for the most goals against and the most goals for with a 51 GF%, McD is 57% . In fact in the last 3 years playoffs he's been on the ice for the second most goals against of all players. Now he might have bad linemates / goaltenders etc but he's definitely on the ice for a lot of goals.
Honestly with how much those two play together and stack their lines, those GF% numbers aren't good enough to win the cup

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Thought this deserved its own thread. With 2 points tonight, Draisaitl becomes the 3rd fastest player to 100 playoff points, after Gretzky and Lemieux. Phenomenal playoffs by him, shows up in a big way every year.

leon.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad