Leo Komarov (By The Numbers)

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Leo hasn't had the greatest start to the season.

I never expected him to repeat last season's offensive numbers, but other areas of his game have not looked as good either.

He looks noticeably less physical, a little slower, and a little panicked when the puck is on his stick.

His advanced stats have declined as well:

Last season: CF% of 53.9, CF% rel +3.2, FF% of 53.4, FF% rel +4.1

This season: CF% 50.9%, CF% rel 0.0, FF% of 49.8, FF% rel - 0.7

This could be explained by his zone starts:

This year: 39.5 % offensive, 60.5 % deffensive

Last year: 50.8 % offensive, 49.2 % defensive

He's also matched up against the other teams top players night after night alongside Kadri, however, I believe he was used that same way last year.

He's still getting significant PP time, 1:41 per game this year.

From the eye test, I think his play has been noticeably poorer in all facets this season vs last season. I don't think we should trade him, nor do I think he sucks. He's one of my favorite players on the team, however, and I'm a little disappointed with how he's played to start the year.

I hope he turns it around soon, he can be a good mentor for the kids, and a great 3rd line energy player. Like I said, I don't expect the offensive production from last year, but I know he can be better than he's shown so far.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That line is getting used for hard match-ups even more heavily than last year.

But yes, I haven't been too impressed with him. He looks exhausted, I think all the interntaional play along with his overall style of play is starting to wear him out. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a nagging injury of some sort.

Personally, I'd put Soshnikov in his place as Kadri really needs a scoring option, and bump him down to the 4th line with Martin. Together they can create a crash line that can eat up some minutes and keep the puck away from the Toronto zone. I would also take him off the PP.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I fear that might be regression we're seeing right infront of our eyes. He played so well and hard the last few years but after a concussion, and likely a lot of bumps along the way, perhaps his play overall is suffering because of his play style. His offense is not the worrisome part, it's his hitting and pest style that is also completely gone. He makes a lot of mistakes around the puck as well.

A lot of people gave me crap for trying to argue that perhaps that was the time to sell high on a player very likely to regress at a faster pace than most. His value was very high after a very good and impressive season.

I hope he can regain at least his aggressiveness. Right now, he looks like a completely different player.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I fear that might be regression we're seeing right infront of our eyes. He played so well and hard the last few years but after a concussion, and likely a lot of bumps along the way, perhaps his play overall is suffering because of his play style. His offense is not the worrisome part, it's his hitting and pest style that is also completely gone. He makes a lot of mistakes around the puck as well.

A lot of people gave me crap for trying to argue that perhaps that was the time to sell high on a player very likely to regress at a faster pace than most. His value was very high after a very good and impressive season.

I hope he can regain at least his aggressiveness. Right now, he looks like a completely different player.

Yes that's what I've been saying to people as well. It's not even that he's not scoring, but he's not bringing the other qualities that made him a valuable player in the first place.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If this ends up being a regression trend rather than a blip, Komarov's roster spot could be valuable to have something else for a farm full of winger prospects to compete for.

Hope he pulls out of it, but there's a silver lining if he doesn't and he'll have a soft landing somewhere if it's not here

Could Leipsic be a rich man's Komarov?

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's an issue of usage. He was relied on for offesnive situations last year because the team lacked skill.

Now he's been pushed down the depth chart by better players he won't be able to produce as he did.

He could be a nice + in a trade that helps the Leafs land a better piece

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's an issue of usage. He was relied on for offesnive situations last year because the team lacked skill.

Now he's been pushed down the depth chart by better players he won't be able to produce as he did.

He could be a nice + in a trade that helps the Leafs land a better piece

He's got the 2nd most ice time out of everyone. He's on the PP with 0 goals and 3 assists... think about it.

Sure he starts a lot in the defensive zone, but it's the same for Kadri and Brown but both have been far more effective.

I think the excuses of usage are not correct. He hasn't been very good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I vaguely remember people saying that we should not trade Leo even if offered two 1st round picks. Perhaps I'm mistaken as it seems absurd now (not that it would have seemed prudent then) but that's the way I remember it. He sure was good last season though, maybe he'll find his form again, who knows.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's got the 2nd most ice time out of everyone. He's on the PP with 0 goals and 3 assists... think about it.

Sure he starts a lot in the defensive zone, but it's the same for Kadri and Brown but both have been far more effective.

I think the excuses of usage are not correct. He hasn't been very good.

Oh I agree he hasn't been well - I see the unearned PP time as attempt by coaches to get him to how he was playing last year,except it's not working.

Looking like he should have been flipped at the deadline last year

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If this ends up being a regression trend rather than a blip, Komarov's roster spot could be valuable to have something else for a farm full of winger prospects to compete for.

Hope he pulls out of it, but there's a silver lining if he doesn't and he'll have a soft landing somewhere if it's not here

Could Leipsic be a rich man's Komarov?

More like Lindberg or who's the Swede taken in the second Grunnerstrom?

Komarov has two years left on his contract. That might be all as a Leaf and maybe all in the NHL.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
More like Lindberg or who's the Swede taken in the second Grunnerstrom?

Komarov has two years left on his contract. That might be all as a Leaf and maybe all in the NHL.

Leipsic and Lindberg are probably NHL ready, Leipsic has the higher ceiling and higher compete level, I'd go to him first

If Komarov doesn't pick it up, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Robidas Island or get the Greening treatment if Babcock wants the roster spot. Won't be soon, but Komarov has to be better or he'll become expendable

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Why?

Got a legit reason?

He's a definite upgrade there over Hyman.

The last thing that line needs is another low skilled grinder, and even then Komarov has hardly been that better than Hyman so far. He would bring nothing new to that line.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Leo has been virtually unnoticeable for me this year. Maybe I'm too focused on watching the kids play, I'm not sure.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I vaguely remember people saying that we should not trade Leo even if offered two 1st round picks. Perhaps I'm mistaken as it seems absurd now (not that it would have seemed prudent then) but that's the way I remember it. He sure was good last season though, maybe he'll find his form again, who knows.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2000491&highlight=

Almost 10% of the fanbase wouldn't trade him for a 5-15 pick. Many didn't even vote because a top-5 pick wasn't enough. Like, LAINE wouldn't be enough!

:laugh:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He kind of seems to have lost his entertainment value - by this I mean, the first 2 years of his 3 million dollar contract he just basically hit almost everything in site.

And I think that was the Komarov that fans could always get behind, he was a sh** disturber to the nth degree and whenever he chipped in any production, it was just a bonus.

And, wasn't the Matt Martin signing basically the exact replica kind of thing. Let's overpay a guy that will just hit everything in site (PLUS) he's got enough skill that he can play a bit up the line-up to the 3rd line - but, again, just like Komi a real CHARACTER kind of guy which is required for a rebuild and to model how to come to the rink and at the same time kind of protect the younger skilled players who are learning.

Komarov has really not hit anything this year to speak of and if his niche is to become a shot suppressing checking line forward, well, there are other younger players that come 2 million a year cheaper that could do that job.

I was a huge fan of Komarov but it seems like the role that he excelled at was served maybe on a 30th place team but not so much on this team.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The last thing that line needs is another low skilled grinder, and even then Komarov has hardly been that better than Hyman so far. He would bring nothing new to that line.

he has been better than Hyman or at least equal. His current line is tasked with shutdown first and foremost and he still has 3 points, Hyman is with our pure offense line and has 1 point. Add to that they play near identical games, Hyman's ceiling is probably Komarov (without last seasons points). Komarov could stand a little more intensity. I would rather Leivo or Soshnikov with them as would most but if we need a grinder there try Komarov

edit: all this i meant to say put him with Matthews line to raise his value,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad