Lehner or Anderson?

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
It's not so much that you're wrong, it's just that your timing has been wrong. A change in starters may happen, and when/if it's done it doesn't confirm your position. Changing starters is a process that has to run its course, you need to respect that there is a human aspect, and a respect aspect. I for one find it sad how much you relish the faltering of Anderson, how you are so unwilling allow him to try and come around, especially given all he has done for this team. There is a reason that McLean hasn't made his decisions in line with your opinion, and it's not because he sees a different team playing. While a change may be coming, I maintain that you have been wrong the whole time and that allowing this process to unfold was the right thing to do for everyone involved.

Oh cry me a river. This is professional sports, its not high school varsity. In professional sports it all about winning and performing - and that is in every sport. You have to be, literally, a future hall of famer to get the kind of process and respect your talking about.

Can you imagine if the Patriots decided that it was the "right thing to do" to go back to Drew Bledsoe after Brady subbed in and won them the superbowl? Yeah that would have worked out real well for that franchise.

Im not saying throw Andy in the street and forget about him. Certainly give him a chance to win his job back, but right now Lehner is performing better and giving us a better chance to win; he won the starting job. Its now up to Anderson to perform and take it back.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
It's not so much that you're wrong, it's just that your timing has been wrong. A change in starters may happen, and when/if it's done it doesn't confirm your position. Changing starters is a process that has to run its course, you need to respect that there is a human aspect, and a respect aspect. I for one find it sad how much you relish the faltering of Anderson, how you are so unwilling allow him to try and come around, especially given all he has done for this team. There is a reason that McLean hasn't made his decisions in line with your opinion, and it's not because he sees a different team playing. While a change may be coming, I maintain that you have been wrong the whole time and that allowing this process to unfold was the right thing to do for everyone involved.
Very well put. The way peole cheer for others to fall is sickening. We talk about class and respect all the time when talking hockey and I'm glad maclean still has both ans treats his playera accordingly.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Lehner faced 1 shot in which he was screened - that was a goal by Helm. Andy faces multiple screen shots every night. The defense is a load of **** and should rightly be blamed.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Not counting the 1st period, that was the best rebound control ive seen from Lehner.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Who's delusional now?

Uh-oh got the callout, touche. Lehner was awesome tonight no doubt so maybe ill be eating my words in a month, which I have no problem with if it happens. I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong, a quality that is lost on a lot of people. I won't apologize for not being so quick to throw Andy under the bus though, which were the fanboys I was referring to. The "ride the hot hand" people I had no real qualms with their reasoning, the "Lehners time is now, time to trade Andy" folk, well bleh that noise.

Having the team win is far more important to me than my personal opinion, if Lehner starts every game for the rest of the season and we do awesome, Im all for it.

Last edited:

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Lehner faced 1 shot in which he was screened - that was a goal by Helm. Andy faces multiple screen shots every night. The defense is a load of **** and should rightly be blamed.

Did you watch the game tonight? Lehner was screened on multiple occasions.

Also, I said it before the season and still sticking to my prediction. Lehner will steal the number 1 job by the end of the season

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Rebounds. It all comes down to the rebounds for me.

Right now, this team needs all the help it can get in its own end, and not having to deal with a second chance on most shots is going to be the difference between us winning and losing most nights.

Until Anderson gets some confidence back and starts controlling rebounds better, I feel we are a better team with Lehner in net.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I have Anderson in fantasy hockey and I've been thinking of dropping him in favour of Lehner.

I feel like I should give Anderson a couple more games to get it turned around. On the other hand I'll be kicking myself if things go south, Lehner takes over the starting job and someone else grabs him.

Who do you think will be the starter come December?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Hopefully team defense is starting to turn a corner. If it isn't, both of our goalies will be in the gutter by the end of the season. There's only so often a goalie can bail out a team before it mentally wears him out. The whole "churn 'n burn" concept.

**crossing fingers this is the turnaround**

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Dude, not sure what and/or why you are having a hard time admitting it but after reading your post here in response to mine, either you apparently are not comprehending very well what I wrote or, your simply just wanting to delay the inevitable.

Like a few of your other Anderson apologist buddies of yours, I understand you want to keep the status quo for some god forsaken reason despite the reality of the situation which is Lehner has been and is currently THE better goalie and gives the team a better chance to win. I realize you don't want to "hurt his feelings" as if he's not a grown adult and realizes this is a business.

It's enough of the "its blasphemy to think our Andy should be benched" type thinking. Have we not seen enough? Yes for the past month or so I've been saying it's time for Robin Lehner to get more playing time and myself and a few of the others in here have been right about that. It's really not a big deal to admit that I am likely correct in what is going on and that a changing of the guard is right around the corner and is the right thing to do. I mean what's the difference who is the #1 so long as it helps the team win more hockey games...eh?

So as mentioned, I got no beef with Andy other than he's been really bad this season. He needs to use Lehner's great game last night as a challenge to himself and he needs to play just as well going forward especially tonight. Seeing if he craps the bed tonight, you just know it's going to be impossible for Stache to not make the change and give Lehner the #1 gig.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good grief. Read what Ice Tray is saying. You don't throw young players to the wolves, unless you want an Edmonton Oilers scenario. It is a process, and you do have to shelter young guys in this league.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

My lord MDC...do you realize that your defending of Anderson is becoming more and more absurd as time goes on. I mean really, do you actually read the fables first before you write them?

Yes for the zillionth time, the defense sux 95% of the time. And for the zillionth time as well BOTH Anderson and Lehner play behind this sucky defense yet it is Lehner who is putting up world class awesome numbers and Anderson who is putting up crap #'s that on any other team would have put him on the bench a long time ago. So enough already with these ridiculous absurd excuses and just deal with fact Lehner between the pipes gives the Sens a much better chance to win hockey games than with Andy. That's not a bad thing....right?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Good grief. Read what Ice Tray is saying. You don't throw young players to the wolves, unless you want an Edmonton Oilers scenario. It is a process, and you do have to shelter young guys in this league.

I read what Ice Tray said clearly. And I've read what you have said in the past numerous times. You come across as a bit of wuss. There is nothing to be afraid of here giving the better goalie more time in net cause he helps you win hockey games.

And just to be crystal clear, there is no throwing of anyone to the wolves here. Lehner is a big boy and is showing he's ready for the big stage. Look at how great he has played with a crappy defense. Look at how crappy Anderson has played behind same crappy defense. Andy is a big boy too. A veteran. He understands this is a business. You play well...you play. You play like crap...you sit on the bench. Stache has given Andy plenty of chances which is why I contend that these next two games for him beginning tonight and the other game of the back to back he gets is so crucial.

What is the problem here? There is no Edmonton Oiler situation going on here. This is simply the fact the younger guy Lehner is proving to be better than the very average Anderson and he should get more playing time. It's as if you'd rather the team continue to lose and defend Andy than win because you'd be wrong about Lehner. Well too bad my friend, time to accept that the inevitable is already beginning to happen right before our very eyes.

Pitlick*

Is it possible that Anderson has permanent damage from last year's ankle injury?

His lateral movement is bad, a few games ago he got beat on 2 wrap arounds.

After returning last year, he wasn't as good. He had some good games against Montreal, but face it, they are a soft team that doesn't go to the net (except for Gallagherl), and shots were perimeter. Pittsburgh lit him up, except one game he was great in. And this year he has clearly regressed to average.

Or is it the 1 out of 3 years that Andy struggles for 1/2 to 3/4 of the season, like Colorado?

Or, is the neck injury from last month still bothering him?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I would love for Andy to be the guy who finished so strong he cost us a top 3 pick the year we got him. We will need 2 very good guys to get back in contention. The reality though is that Andy shouldn't just be the #1 goalie in name only and automatically get the crease. He has to show he is playing to that level. This season since the 1st Buffalo game and a good period here and there he's mostly not very good. So lets forget last year and the year before and also dispense with numbering the goalies. The Sens need wins now and the one who gives them the best chance should play. Lehner's 1st game back he was fighting the puck and giving bad rebounds. Last night he was very good. The way Andy has been playing we would have lost that game if he was in net. If Stache decides to go with Andy that's fine its his call but it had better be because he thinks he can win the game and not just because he is labelled the #1 or this will be back on MacLean.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I read what Ice Tray said clearly. And I've read what you have said in the past numerous times. You come across as a bit of wuss. There is nothing to be afraid of here giving the better goalie more time in net cause he helps you win hockey games.

And just to be crystal clear, there is no throwing of anyone to the wolves here. Lehner is a big boy and is showing he's ready for the big stage. Look at how great he has played with a crappy defense. Look at how crappy Anderson has played behind same crappy defense. Andy is a big boy too. A veteran. He understands this is a business. You play well...you play. You play like crap...you sit on the bench. Stache has given Andy plenty of chances which is why I contend that these next two games for him beginning tonight and the other game of the back to back he gets is so crucial.

What is the problem here? There is no Edmonton Oiler situation going on here. This is simply the fact the younger guy Lehner is proving to be better than the very average Anderson and he should get more playing time. It's as if you'd rather the team continue to lose and defend Andy than win because you'd be wrong about Lehner. Well too bad my friend, time to accept that the inevitable is already beginning to happen right before our very eyes.

A lot of young goalies have looked like franchise players in their first year and given tons of games. Then...uh oh! Sophomore slump, third year jinx, fourth year stalemate, then finally a fifth year rebound.

Look at Ward, Bobrovosky, Mason, Harding, Fleury, Giguere, Halak, Price, Reimer......

How many guys currently in this league have had a consistent career? Lundqvist, Brodeur.......bueller? bueller?

You may be impatient and want this kid playing all the time, but Sens' management is doing this the right way. Slow and steady.

If you don't like it, I hear Melynk is looking for a partner...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think we could even get a good return now for Andy if we wanted too.

...and as soon as Lehner has one or two bad games, or the guy coming back isn't a star right away, people will be screeching about it.

Better off keeping both guys as long as we can....unless Sather goes completely senile and does a goalie swap and gifts us Lundqvist for Anderson (now that would be hilarious). :laugh:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
...and as soon as Lehner has one or two bad games, or the guy coming back isn't a star right away, people will be screeching about it.

Better off keeping both guys as long as we can....unless Sather goes completely senile and does a goalie swap and gifts us Lundqvist for Anderson (now that would be hilarious). :laugh:

Dude, once again for the zillionth time seeing for some reason you are just not reading or comprehending very well. I am not nor have I advocated "getting rid" of Anderson. Never once have I said that. I think it's a good thing to have Andy around for sure.

What I have said consistantly is that at worst, this should be a time share and whoever plays better should play more...that's one suggeestion. Optimally, I feel Lehner should be given the keys to the car for awhile and have the #1 gig and see how he does with it seeing Andy has been so horrid...let's be honest. A 3.35 GAA and .900 Save% in the NHL just doesn't cut it. A 2.30 GAA and a .940 Save % which is what Lehner has absolutely does.

This serves the purpose of the team having a better chance to win games seeing team plays better in front of Lehner and secondly, it will give time for Anderson to get his head out of arse, sit back, practice harder and it will take the pressure off of him as the #1.

So let's read what is actually being written and not make up stories...thanks in advance.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh cry me a river. This is professional sports, its not high school varsity. In professional sports it all about winning and performing - and that is in every sport. You have to be, literally, a future hall of famer to get the kind of process and respect your talking about.

Can you imagine if the Patriots decided that it was the "right thing to do" to go back to Drew Bledsoe after Brady subbed in and won them the superbowl? Yeah that would have worked out real well for that franchise.

Im not saying throw Andy in the street and forget about him. Certainly give him a chance to win his job back, but right now Lehner is performing better and giving us a better chance to win; he won the starting job. Its now up to Anderson to perform and take it back.

The odd thing about this post is that not only are you conceptually wrong, but the way events are actually playing out in front of you illustrate that you're wrong. You may not like it, or agree with it, pretending things don't exist, doesn't actually make them disappear.

As for the cry me a river bit, it's not about tears, it's about people. Professional sports doesn't actually work the way you think it is, and is not as cold and cut throat as it may seem to as a fan. The truth is that hockey is a pretty tight knit community, and people generally treat each other respectfully.

There are always processes involved in changing a players' role, especially a demotion. You only have to open your eyes to see it happens across the league. Listening to the expert commentary should also help you understand if you can't see it unaided. I'm not even debating whether it should be like that, it IS like that.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Anderson has the job imo, but it is hanging by a very fine thread(aka next game). Maclean did the right thing to give the starter his position back, but the facts are pretty clear Lehner is playing better right now.

Dont know how long Maclean can keep going with Anderson unless he turns it around(which he should).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad