Legends Row additions

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Turk Broda, as someone that actually was among the best in the league at his position, a Hall of Famer, and a guy that won many Cups for Toronto should be honoured well before the likes of Wendel Clark and Mats Sundin who's resumes are quite in the same stratosphere.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
1 Turk Broda (1937-52)
4 Hap Day (1926-37)
4 Red Kelly (1959-67)
5 Bill Barilko (1946-51)
6 Ace Bailey (1927-34)
7 King Clancy (1931-37)
7 Tim Horton (1950-70)
9 Charlie Conacher (1930-38)
10 Syl Apps (1937-48)
10 George Armstrong (1950-71)
14 Dave Keon (1956-1982)
17 Wendel Clark (1985-94, 1996-98, 2000)
27 Frank Mahovlich (1957-68)
93 Doug Gilmour (1991-97, 2003)

Those are the most logical choices for potential legend row additions.

I have generally liked and respected your opinions in the past, Mess. You know your hockey, follow the Leafs very closely, and often have good insight.

But you totally lost me here, keeping Sundin off your list, and of all things, putting Wendal and Dougie ahead of him in the process...among others.

You REALLY lost me.

I honestly feel so badly for Sundin and the disrespect that gets thrown his way by many Leaf fans...it's downright shameful. Give 'yer head a shake man!

crkkh

Aug 13, 2010
Toronto
Doesn't Keon still hate the Leafs?

Don't think Keon hates the Leafs...he simply wants his sweater retired instead of just honoured...which I, along with 29 other NHL teams agree with...

For honouring...should be Keon and Apps...but have a feeling maybe Apps and Sundin...covering modern and historical...

But Keon after a career of 4 Stanley Cups, 1 Calder, 2 Lady Byngs and A Conn Smythe as well as 8 All Star Appearances...should be both honoured and have his sweater retired...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have generally liked and respected your opinions in the past, Mess. You know your hockey, follow the Leafs very closely, and often have good insight.

But you totally lost me here, keeping Sundin off your list, and of all things, putting Wendal and Dougie ahead of him in the process...among others.

You REALLY lost me.

I honestly feel so badly for Sundin and the disrespect that gets thrown his way by many Leaf fans...it's downright shameful. Give 'yer head a shake man!

Look up one post before yours. :)

My list was essentially Leafs retired and honoured Leaf numbers that hang in the rafters at the ACC and Sundin was simply an oversight because it was the most recent addition.

It was an unintentional omission on my part. Sorry about that. I believe he will be a part of Legends row at some point, and he would have the greatest impact on younger Leaf fans who grew up Leafs fans due to Mats.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Don't think Keon hates the Leafs...he simply wants his sweater retired instead of just honoured...which I, along with 29 other NHL teams agree with...

For honouring...should be Keon and Apps...but have a feeling maybe Apps and Sundin...covering modern and historical...

But Keon after a career of 4 Stanley Cups, 1 Calder, 2 Lady Byngs and A Conn Smythe as well as 8 All Star Appearances...should be both honoured and have his sweater retired...
That just sounds pretty whiny. Retired/Honored, who cares :shakehead. It's up there being respected and people are hardly going to come into Toronto and put on those numbers anyways.

Great, he accomplished a great deal during his career. If he wasn't getting any credit for that it'd be one thing, but he is.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Its a moving goalpost with Keon. It started out with complete hatred for Ballard, then Stavro then changed with OTPP to the retired/honoured number b.s. He hopefully will grow up one of these days.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No cup, no legend in my books. Legends win Championships and if they did it elsewhere the celebration is misplaced.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Its a moving goalpost with Keon. It started out with complete hatred for Ballard, then Stavro then changed with OTPP to the retired/honoured number b.s. He hopefully will grow up one of these days.
Agree. The guy was my favourite player as a little kid. Okay Ballard was a jerk but the fans back then loved him. Why snub them?

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
You know what Legends Row is right?[/QUOTE

I understand and respect all that are honored and celebrated. in all honesty I think it drains the teams energy season after season to have these extended ceremonies before games all the time. That is all I was trying to say really. That being said I hate this tank thing but I am on board here, we need this

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I understand and respect all that are honored and celebrated. in all honesty I think it drains the teams energy season after season to have these extended ceremonies before games all the time. That is all I was trying to say really. That being said I hate this tank thing but I am on board here, we need this

I hear you on most of the pre-game ceremonies, but I have a lot of time for the banner and statue ceremonies. Those are pretty big deals.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't know the history and backstory of the Leafs/Keon fallout, but it seems a little bit wrong for a guy to dictate how he should be honoured. If it's good enough for his dynasty era teammates, why not Keon?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Keon should be next. Won 4 Cups, I think the Cup winners should be honoured first. Lots of time for Sundin, Keon is 74.

If he wanted to be there, he would have been the first guy announced.

The Leafs want to retire and honor his number, and have him on Legend's row. He won't let them

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

The Leafs want to retire and honor his number, and have him on Legend's row. He won't let them

i thought leafs want to honour his number while keon wants it retired? i thought that was the dispute? no?

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
Got no problem with the latest additions. The next to be added must be David Michael Keon in my opinion.

crkkh

Aug 13, 2010
Toronto
I don't know the history and backstory of the Leafs/Keon fallout, but it seems a little bit wrong for a guy to dictate how he should be honoured. If it's good enough for his dynasty era teammates, why not Keon?

Keon isn't dictating anything...he simply isn't agreeing to the honour of having a banner...he wants the league wide accepted standard of having his number retired...the same as all of the great players he played against and who did receive this honour...that's his right...not sure why fans would have a problem with this...I would think the greater issue should be the embarrassment that the Leaf management feels they are somehow "above" the League standard...

Think of number 27...warn by Frank Mahovlich and Darryl Sittler...and because it isn't to be retired it can be warn by the likes of John Kordic...only on the leafs would this happen...

strangely #99 on the Leafs is retired because of a player who didn't even play for us...Gretzky...a league wide retirement...

It is like a badge of honour...

My understanding of the backstory is that after being a career leaf from his days with St.Mikes that he was basically run out of town to the WHA...Ballard claiming that his Captain was not doing his job...

Oh well...nothing will change the Leafs...and nothing will probably change Dave Keon...:(

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Look up one post before yours. :)

My list was essentially Leafs retired and honoured Leaf numbers that hang in the rafters at the ACC and Sundin was simply an oversight because it was the most recent addition.

It was an unintentional omission on my part. Sorry about that. I believe he will be a part of Legends row at some point, and he would have the greatest impact on younger Leaf fans who grew up Leafs fans due to Mats.

Saw your post only after I had posted. Took some time to write my angsty, 40 year old Leafer soliloquy.

Listen, I know you say yit was an "unintended omission", but...I find it hard to swallow that you'd remember Clarke and Gilmour but omit the #1 all-time leading scorer. It kind of sounds....well, ridiculous is what comes to mind.

Maybe I should just let this go, but ...I can't. It's cognitive dissonance of the highest order, to 'forget' the guy you watched the longest of any Leaf play, include two other great players who played with him for brief stints, and then put up a host of historical names, guys we never watched.

Sundin comes First to my mind.
Then Sittler. Then a thought about perhaps Gilmour.
THEN, thinking to myself, besides Salming, what're the old names, and the order?

But I guess I'm an odd one.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It might be nice if they added executives & Coaches, like Conn Smythe, Frank Selke Sr., Punch (ya ya, I know, highly controversial but hey, he won us Cups) Imlach.... also some of the real olde thyme players, Horner, Clancy, Conacher, Bentley and Apps etc.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

No, Leafs don't retire numbers. They wouldn't have enough numbers for players to wear in 10 years.

They only honor, something Keon doesn't like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad